Why is it Wrong to Say You Want to be a Famous YouTuber?

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
I see it all the time, people always knocking those who say they want to be famous YouTubers. Like it should only be fun and be a hobby and if you get big so be it.

Why is it wrong to want to be big on YouTube as ONE of your reasons to have a YouTube channel? Just because someone strives to be a big YouTuber that doesn't mean they are creating any less quality content, they aren't having fun and they aren't 100% dedicated.

If someone wants to be a rockstar, do we tell them they are playing guitar for the wrong reason? No, they love playing guitar, they practice for hours a day and they want to share their talent with the world. Being a rockstar is part of the whole picture, not the soul purpose of the picture. What about pro athletes, did anyone tell them don't think big. It's wrong to think you want to be a pro athlete? You should only play for fun and not take it seriously.

So why is it wrong for someone to create content and want to be big on YouTube. Why is the guy who says it should just be a fun hobby any better then the person who says if you want to be big on YouTube then go for it.

No, it should not be your only reason to create content but, if you are doing this for hours a day and fully dedicating a lot of time to it, you probably enjoy what you are doing. You want to share your art with as many folks as you can. That's why stats are important to some people, the same way a batting average is important to a baseball player or album sales are important to musicians.

Why is it okay for people to think big in all industries except YouTube? I personally think YouTube is one place where you have more control of what you do and where you can go then any other industry that you can make it big even though only a small amount of people will reach that fame just like any other big famous industry.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't want there channel to big? Is it just cooler to say I don't care if my channel gets big. I totally understand the thought process when people say don't start a channel just because you want to be a famous YouTuber. Start a channel because you have something you want to share with others and you enjoy what you are doing but once that ground work is laid out, why can't you think big?

Ok, roast away but I am just curious on people's thoughts about this.

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I think some people are just really passionate about it and go overboard, forcing their feelings on others.

I personally don't think people should only be about being famous, but I'm not going to go around and impose that way of thinking on other people unless they're being all depressed about how they're not famous yet.

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I think some people are just really passionate about it and go overboard, forcing their feelings on others.

I personally don't think people should only be about being famous, but I'm not going to go around and impose that way of thinking on other people unless they're being all depressed about how they're not famous yet.
Can you literate how people "force their feelings on others" ? It seems more of that people judge others that have big dreams than anything. To "FORCE" your feeling onto others basically means to make THEM want to do it for the same reason you are and pestering them like hey man WHY DO YOU DO IT? WHAAAT COME ON MAN YOU SHOULD DO IT FOR BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE FAMOUS! ITS SO COOOOOL yada yada yada, I've never seen anyone here or anywhere do that or say that to anyone else. It's like saying people who are getting married are forcing their love onto others. This seems more of a case of either jealousy, envy, or just people putting others down when their dream seems too way out of reach. Like how people say ONE DAY I'll BE A FAMOUS BOXER - then others go like HAHAH NAWWW, this has nothing to do with forcing feelings on others, more of people not believing in another persons dream and therefore tries to "take them down a notch". I think you're mistaken.

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score

Right, and just because somesome wants to become a big and famous YouTuber, does that make them any less passionate about what they do then the person who "claims" they don't care? Who says the person who wants to be a big YouTuber isn't 150% passionate about what they do. Can you not want to be big on YouTube and be passionate like in any other field of fame?

Reactions: Dino

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I see it all the time, people always knocking those who say they want to be famous YouTubers. Like it should only be fun and be a hobby and if you get big so be it.

Why is it wrong to want to be big on YouTube as ONE of your reasons to have a YouTube channel? Just because someone strives to be a big YouTuber that doesn't mean they are creating any less quality content, they aren't having fun and they aren't 100% dedicated.

If someone wants to be a rockstar, do we tell them they are playing guitar for the wrong reason? No, they love playing guitar, they practice for hours a day and they want to share their talent with the world. Being a rockstar is part of the whole picture, not the soul purpose of the picture. What about pro athletes, did anyone tell them don't think big. It's wrong to think you want to be a pro athlete? You should only play for fun and not take it seriously.

So why is it wrong for someone to create content and want to be big on YouTube. Why is the guy who says it should just be a fun hobby any better then the person who says if you want to be big on YouTube then go for it.

No, it should not be your only reason to create content but, if you are doing this for hours a day and fully dedicating a lot of time to it, you probably enjoy what you are doing. You want to share your art with as many folks as you can. That's why stats are important to some people, the same way a batting average is important to a baseball player or album sales are important to musicians.

Why is it okay for people to think big in all industries except YouTube? I personally think YouTube is one place where you have more control of what you do and where you can go then any other industry that you can make it big even though only a small amount of people will reach that fame just like any other big famous industry.

Is there anyone here who wouldn't want there channel to big? Is it just cooler to say I don't care if my channel gets big. I totally understand the thought process when people say don't start a channel just because you want to be a famous YouTuber. Start a channel because you have something you want to share with others and you enjoy what you are doing but once that ground work is laid out, why can't you think big?

Ok, roast away but I am just curious on people's thoughts about this.
Nothing wrong with it - people are either jealous, don't see the same dream you do, or just can't see it happening for themselves- therefore they "hate" on others or try to talk them down. This is always the case wen someone has a big dream. Nothing to bother yourself with tbh.

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Can you literate how people "force their feelings on others" ? It seems more of that people judge others that have big dreams than anything. To "FORCE" your feeling onto others basically means to make THEM want to do it for the same reason you are and pestering them like hey man WHY DO YOU DO IT? WHAAAT COME ON MAN YOU SHOULD DO IT FOR BECAUSE YOU WANT TO BE FAMOUS! ITS SO COOOOOL yada yada yada, I've never seen anyone here or anywhere do that or say that to anyone else. It's like saying people who are getting married are forcing their love onto others. This seems more of a case of either jealousy, envy, or just people putting others down when their dream seems too way out of reach. Like how people say ONE DAY I'll BE A FAMOUS BOXER - then others go like HAHAH NAWWW, this has nothing to do with forcing feelings on others, more of people not believing in another persons dream and therefore tries to "take them down a notch". I think you're mistaken.
Chill.

Forcing may have been the wrong word for it, but I meant how people essentially shame others for having different views.

Hopeless Insomniac

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Musician
YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS VIDEO. I can't post the link but if you google "Tessa Violet I want to be famous" you should be able to find it. This video was so insightful for me. It talked about the negative connotation we associate with people who admit to wanting to be famous and why that is. In truth, I don't think it is wrong to want to be well known in a community that shares your passion and interests yet it seems to be an immediate turn off to admit that you want to be famous.
I think a lot of the time we feel pressured to act like we don't care, when in reality we do.
If you are thinking about this I simply cannot recommend this video enough

Dino

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
YOU NEED TO WATCH THIS VIDEO. I can't post the link but if you google "Tessa Violet I want to be famous" you should be able to find it. This video was so insightful for me. It talked about the negative connotation we associate with people who admit to wanting to be famous and why that is. In truth, I don't think it is wrong to want to be well known in a community that shares your passion and interests yet it seems to be an immediate turn off to admit that you want to be famous.
I just checked it out, and I agree with you. I like the way she explained it without being a d**k.

Reactions: Hopeless Insomniac

WizJager

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Why be a doctor? Youtube is a platform which allow creators to do what they love and to share video or information to people around the world. everyone want to be best in what they do. when i was younger i could went into football, but doing football rest of my life, would of gotten boring. Youtube open alot of door to people, but like in school and life, you have to work hard to reach the top.

Here is an example, Messi is one of best footballer out there, but like 1% who choices to do football would be like messi. many footballer play football for the fun not the money. it is very hard and long journey and only lucky one blow up on youtube. it might take 4 year ot reach million subs, but you would of learn alot of things on the way.

My point is to keep ur aim high and work toward it :)

FunWithTheBugs

I've Got It
Reaction score
I think a lot of the time we feel pressured to act like we don't care, when in reality we do.
Totally agree with everything she said!

I know a lot about wanting to be famous. From around age 15 to about 30 I wanted to be a rockstar. I lived and breathed music and even attended one of the best music college's in the US. Every person I met wanted to be famous and a lot of them even went on to be. They were some of the most passionate and best musicians in the world and never were ashamed to say they wanted to be famous and no one ever took them less serious for saying it. They weren't just slackers who wanted to be famous without putting the work in.

If I played in a band and they didn't strive for the same fame I strived for then they were not for me. Those that wanted the fame were hungry for it, they were dedictaed to it and they were much more passionate about what they did then the person who juts wanted to play a small show in the local bar as a hobby.

I also know about not reaching the end result we want. No matter how good we are, or how passionate we are, you still have to be able to accept you might not reach the fame you want. That's how it goes when trying to be the 1% percent in a field.

Reactions: Hopeless Insomniac