Why Big youtubers have MCN?

Maarij Bashir

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Reading through these forums I just read that MCN are bad and must be avoided. Yet there are big youtubers that are signed to those MCN. This doesn't really make sense to me. Is it about how much money they make on their channel.

ocslushie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
It's because being in a MCN is only worth it, if you are a big YouTuber. They protect you from legal issues, provide sponsorships, help with collaboration, give really great opportunities, and give you premium ads.

Reactions: RBG

zaffron

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's because being in a MCN is only worth it, if you are a big YouTuber. They protect you from legal issues, provide sponsorships, help with collaboration, give really great opportunities, and give you premium ads.
Yeah that's the best about MCN in nutshell. i think small youtubers will not gain that much of money more than that of big youtubers. so it depends on how the MCN will benefit from you rather than how you will benefit from them if you are small youtuber.

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
i think small youtubers will not gain that much of money more than that of big youtubers.
Small channels earn less from joining a network.

Not being worth the work, they're given the same exact ads (and CPM) that they'd have if they were simply with AdSense.

Same ads, same payout, YouTube still takes their 45%, but then the network pulls their share (10-49%) as well.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Rarely will an MCN protect creators. When you read your contract, it will have absolutely no language stating that the network will provide legal advice, defend you with Content ID claims, or any other protections. The agreement states that the creator gives them permission to monetize the channel.

Rarely do channels get sponsorships. The vast majority of channels in networks never see such benefits.

"Help with collaboration". This is an interesting point because many networks have forms for users to interact. Well, it's free here at YTTalk. =)

Rarely do networks provide 'great opportunities'. To be honest, those are usually given to the largest channels in the network.

Premium ads. Most networks just allow Adsense ads to be presented. That means that they don't have to do any work but they still get a cut of your earnings. Even if you did get a premium ad, it won't make up for the earnings that you are surrendering.

Finally. MCN's are not bad. It is important to understand what they can provide. If you are a smaller YouTuber, they may have dashboards or community forums. They often have music that you can use in your videos. However, all of these features can be found without being in a network.

The reason that some bigger channels are with networks is because THEY get the perks. Not you.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

ocslushie

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Rarely will an MCN protect creators. When you read your contract, it will have absolutely no language stating that the network will provide legal advice, defend you with Content ID claims, or any other protections. The agreement states that the creator gives them permission to monetize the channel.

Rarely do channels get sponsorships. The vast majority of channels in networks never see such benefits.

"Help with collaboration". This is an interesting point because many networks have forms for users to interact. Well, it's free here at YTTalk. =)

Rarely do networks provide 'great opportunities'. To be honest, those are usually given to the largest channels in the network.

Premium ads. Most networks just allow Adsense ads to be presented. That means that they don't have to do any work but they still get a cut of your earnings. Even if you did get a premium ad, it won't make up for the earnings that you are surrendering.

Finally. MCN's are not bad. It is important to understand what they can provide. If you are a smaller YouTuber, they may have dashboards or community forums. They often have music that you can use in your videos. However, all of these features can be found without being in a network.

The reason that some bigger channels are with networks is because THEY get the perks. Not you.
First of all, as I stated, I was talking about big channels.

1) Rarely? I don't think so. I can think of many channels that were helped with Content ID and copyright claims. But yes, there are also a lot of cases where MCNs did not help, but it is not rare that they help depending on the MCN.

2) Again, I was talking about big channels.

3) Yes, they help YouTubers by setting up collaborations and yes you can do that anywhere. But I was talking about things like "Rule'em Sports" where they set up content creators with other creators and professional athletes to make videos.

4) Like I said, I was talking about bigger channels.

5) I am not sure if premium ads outweigh they pay-cut or not. But I know that a lot of big channels have a 95%-5% paycut with MCNs and can make up to $2 per thousand views rather than the usual $1 per thousand.

markkaz

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Are MCN just networks? (Probably dumb question sorry)
Basically, yes. Multi-Channel Network (MCN). Many of them are moving away from that term. Many of them are also looking to create their own content and have their own video delivery systems.

Arachnophobik

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I think MCNs help them when it comes to copyrights and stuff. Legal things. Like when they get a copyright issue, they could counter it back I think.