Where did the STORYTELLING go???

Is YouTube dead, and click-bait ruling over the lands?

• Total voters

Mr. McSwizzle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
We all love YouTube.
Don't get me wrong, I love YouTube, its the one thing that i'm truly passionate about, like many of you.
2016 may just have been the year of CLICK-BAIT.
I'm sure you've all seen it, (GONE WRONG) or (IN THE HOOD).
Its like the creative aspect of YouTube went down the drain.
Whatever happend to actually telling a story though a screen, or letting your imagination run wild?
There are many different styles in this branch of entertainment, it could range from vlogging to gaming, but it seems to me that even with the most major differences, they all have the same thing in common, and that's click-bait.
Storytelling is DEAD on YouTube, and am I the only one to take notice to this?
I joined YouTube to bring back the creative aspect of it all, and I love connecting 1 on 1 with my viewers and letting them express their creative ideas. Even if I seem to only have 1 or 2 subscribers, I'm not in this for the viewers, i'm in this to express my story's.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Is YouTube dead, with click-bait ruling the lands? Where did the storytelling go?

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The good stuff is still around. It's just hiding below the mud. Pretty sure that youtube is on it. As many of these channels seem to be steadily dying.
I'm talking here on my high pedestal as if my own channel doesn't belong in the very same trash bin as all those "crappy" ones :D

Reactions: Mr. McSwizzle

Mr. McSwizzle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
The good stuff is still around. It's just hiding below the mud. Pretty sure that youtube is on it. As many of these channels seem to be steadily dying.
I'm talking here on my high pedestal as if my own channel doesn't belong in the very same trash bin as all those "crappy" ones :D
I guess crappy isnt the right term xD, I just checked out your channel, and I've subbed! My point is, i'm just trying to figure out where the creativity went, and not all just click-bait.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Just look, there is tons of good content. It's not that hard to find. Just gotta sift the dirt for the gold.

Reactions: Mr. McSwizzle

SmartTheDumb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
There's loads of creativity nowadays. Probably more than ever before! Just skip all the current super hyped channels, and you'll find it. I personally like engineering stuff, physics, electronics, tools, welding etc etc. There are tons of good channels on these subjects. Heck, there are good channels about lawn mowing!

Ps: Thanks 4 subbing, but there's really no need for it![DOUBLEPOST=1484262523,1484262354][/DOUBLEPOST]Not to dismiss the big channels though! I recently fell in love with Filthy frank's TERIYAKI GOD video.

lastnamebanks

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel like I fit into this category now. I hate miss leading titles so I will never do that, but I do feel I use click bait but in a positive way. Remember your title and thumbnail is what gets people to choose your video over another. So instead of just titling a video "I Go Snowboarding" you could name it "Crazy Snowboarding Adventure!". It's not miss leading its just more intriguing. Now I say I fit into this category because I have made some prank videos which grew my channel exponentially and these type of titles helped take me from 88 to almost 1k subs. Does that mean I have taken creativity from youtube? Keep in mind I have made plenty of story times and I have done a skit which involves writing a plot and a script. So does two pranks that I made for fun not for views discredit all the other work I have done?

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
It's a gray area. There is people who could say the same thing about most of the videos on YouTube. From the vloggers who try out the latest fast food, to the pranksters, the drama channels, gaming channels sometimes, the toy channels, etc. It's all about taste and what you are into.

What I do about all of these things? I keep my head down and continue building my brand so that way people will remember my name. That's the goal. Focus on the goal, hustle, and you'll get to it.

Ernie Jo

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Doooood you should check out Olan Rogers! If there's anyone who cares about the stories they tell more I sure haven't found them. Super passionate, honest, pull himself up by his bootstraps kinda guy. He's worked relentlessly for years and just recently gotten a cartoon he's writing picked up by TBS!

He loves his fans more than anyone I've ever met. He's just a super genuine dude. He tells stories from his life, does shorts, and has a sci-fi series he's been working on for several years that's legitimately good!

He's the reason I started making videos and he's my favorite youtuber, if you couldn't tell ;)

I've been making videos for a few years now but never really seen myself as much of a storyteller, but last year I found a story on accident and it's really become a passion project for me. It's all I think about haha we are making season 2 of the series right now and I already have ideas for seasons 3 and 4 haha but it takes so much time and work compared to just making one-off type videos, so I understand that storytelling isn't for everyone.

MasterDF

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
We all love YouTube.
Don't get me wrong, I love YouTube, its the one thing that i'm truly passionate about, like many of you.
2016 may just have been the year of CLICK-BAIT.
I'm sure you've all seen it, (GONE WRONG) or (IN THE HOOD).
Its like the creative aspect of YouTube went down the drain.
Whatever happend to actually telling a story though a screen, or letting your imagination run wild?
There are many different styles in this branch of entertainment, it could range from vlogging to gaming, but it seems to me that even with the most major differences, they all have the same thing in common, and that's click-bait.
Storytelling is DEAD on YouTube, and am I the only one to take notice to this?
I joined YouTube to bring back the creative aspect of it all, and I love connecting 1 on 1 with my viewers and letting them express their creative ideas. Even if I seem to only have 1 or 2 subscribers, I'm not in this for the viewers, i'm in this to express my story's.
What are your thoughts on this topic? Is YouTube dead, with click-bait ruling the lands? Where did the storytelling go?
I think the story telling is there but titles are changing vecause everyone wants their vodeo to be clicked on. I dont pay much attention to click bait stuff like "GONE SEXUAL" or "GONE WRONG". Just silly to me. But yeah youtube has taken a different turn and im sure it will change again back to something we all may like.