When should I monitize

D_halfrican

I've Got It
Reaction score
I don't monitize any of my videos currently I feel I'm still too small so any of you monitize ?

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
You have got 127 subs and your views are very good enough. You should monetize your videos from now on.

Kate's Adventures

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
My videos aren't monetised either for the same reason, I don't want to subject my audience to advertisements if I'm not going to get much back from them.
I sometimes take a look at SocialBlade and see what they estimate my income from each video to be. Currently they reckon I'm making between £0.08 - £1 every month and £0.97 - £15 in a year. If that's the case it'll be years before I make enough to get a payout and waiting to hit that number would lead to me obsessing over the figures.
Obviously it's personal preference but that's my reasons for staying away just now. If my views on each video started climbing up and I got a lot of subscribers I'd maybe revisit it and think about it more.

Time Jacker

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Common wisdom is not to do it until your channel is a certain magical size. Common wisdom is wrong, in my opinion. I say do it as soon as you'd like, even from your first video if you want to. The only video I do not monetize is the channel trailer.

Here's the reality: just about no one understands how advertising works on YouTube unless they're a creator. All most people know is that, as they're viewing YouTube, there is an advert every now and then. They do not associate that with the channel of the video they're watching.

Do you know how unlikely it is for someone to see one of your videos, notice that there's an advert, notice you're below a magical channel size and then get upset by it? Equally, do you know how many people are going to notice that your channel does not have adverts and then somehow reward you for that? Both numbers are so low that it's not worth worrying about.

For me, I view it as just another metric that I can see go up over time. When I see the 28 day trend go in the upwards direction, I view it as A Good Thing. The fact that it's a tiny amount of money is irrelevant to me; it's just another factor with which to judge success. I had it on for the first few weeks of my channel, then I turned it off for a few weeks, then I turned it on. Do you know what impact having it either off or on had on my growth? Zero.

Seano1

I've Got It
Reaction score
@D_halfrican You should monetize your videos whenever you want. I do not think it will push people away because you have the option to have ads that people can skip. If you do not do the skip ad option you might get people less likely to watch the video because of the long ad. Try it out and see how it goes!

D_halfrican

I've Got It
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back guys I really do appreciate it I think will wait till I have that comfortable sub size before I turn it on.

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't monitize any of my videos currently I feel I'm still too small so any of you monitize ?
I monetized when I had like 5 subscribers and just started being active on YouTube back in 2012. I was making pennies a day, but there were days where a video would take off and I'd make a nice chunk for a short period of time. I'd monetize, you never know when a video may take off.

coliwob

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Common wisdom is not to do it until your channel is a certain magical size. Common wisdom is wrong, in my opinion. I say do it as soon as you'd like, even from your first video if you want to. The only video I do not monetize is the channel trailer.

Here's the reality: just about no one understands how advertising works on YouTube unless they're a creator. All most people know is that, as they're viewing YouTube, there is an advert every now and then. They do not associate that with the channel of the video they're watching.

Do you know how unlikely it is for someone to see one of your videos, notice that there's an advert, notice you're below a magical channel size and then get upset by it? Equally, do you know how many people are going to notice that your channel does not have adverts and then somehow reward you for that? Both numbers are so low that it's not worth worrying about.

For me, I view it as just another metric that I can see go up over time. When I see the 28 day trend go in the upwards direction, I view it as A Good Thing. The fact that it's a tiny amount of money is irrelevant to me; it's just another factor with which to judge success. I had it on for the first few weeks of my channel, then I turned it off for a few weeks, then I turned it on. Do you know what impact having it either off or on had on my growth? Zero.
I started monetizing mine straight away - didn't want my audience to suddenly think I was a sell out, they should know that right from the start.

Not raking in the views yet though, just don't want to lose a bunch when I do get them.

AllofTheAbove

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Reviewer
I still haven't monetized because my channel's so small, but I've been considering it because I'm revamping and won't be going back to making poor quality videos, and I can be more consistent now.

Safety Turtle

Turtle Power!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I haven't monetized any videos yet simply because I'm not sure how it would work with paying taxes in my country...I have contacted some people who would know to learn more though.
It may be a while still, depending on how much of a hassle it would be compared to what I would make...if it's 1-10 dollars a month, it may not be worth the extra work.

Reactions: AllofTheAbove