What video editing software should I consider?

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hi there, I'm Baylze, and I currently use Movie Maker; which has been fine for me up to this point, but I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm not looking to make stopframe animations, incredible intro sequences, or visually stunning designs, I just want a video editor that can;
  • Add text/image overlays on top of my videos
  • Access to engaging transitions and pre-existing animations
  • Renders at 1080p
  • Add sound effects on top of my videos (and on top of the soundtrack)
  • Allows me to narrate directly over gameplay (or import pre-recorded narration)
My knowledge of video editing software is null. I've read through the list YTTalk has stickied, but need some more direct help!

So yeah, basic stuff, but not stuff that Movie Maker can offer, right? :p

Thanks for any advice :)

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would recommend Sony Vegas. It is capable of doing everything you mentioned and more. It's the only editor I use. :smug:

MasterEth

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi there, I'm Baylze, and I currently use Movie Maker; which has been fine for me up to this point, but I'm looking for an upgrade.

I'm not looking to make stopframe animations, incredible intro sequences, or visually stunning designs, I just want a video editor that can;
  • Add text/image overlays on top of my videos
  • Access to engaging transitions and pre-existing animations
  • Renders at 1080p
  • Add sound effects on top of my videos (and on top of the soundtrack)
  • Allows me to narrate directly over gameplay (or import pre-recorded narration)
My knowledge of video editing software is null. I've read through the list YTTalk has stickied, but need some more direct help!

So yeah, basic stuff, but not stuff that Movie Maker can offer, right? :p

Thanks for any advice :)
If you're looking for something that's really good, but also free, I would recommend Hitfilm 4 Express!

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would recommend Sony Vegas. It is capable of doing everything you mentioned and more. It's the only editor I use. :smug:
I heard Sony Vegas (that's the one with a grey color scheme right?) has a pretty complex interface. Do you know of anything that has a little more user-friendly interface? :p

S_Mielz

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I heard Sony Vegas (that's the one with a grey color scheme right?) has a pretty complex interface. Do you know of anything that has a little more user-friendly interface? :p
I don't. But it's honestly not that complex at all. Especially if you only want to do what you stated in your first post. Haha

Triple Res

YouTube Gamer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well we use Sony Vegas and adobe premiere....simplicity sake Sony Vegas is alot better. Bigger upfront cost as you can do monthly subscriptions to Adobe. Those are really the only video editing software I have any experience with.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I don't. But it's honestly not that complex at all. Especially if you only want to do what you stated in your first post. Haha
Well we use Sony Vegas and adobe premiere....simplicity sake Sony Vegas is alot better. Bigger upfront cost as you can do monthly subscriptions to Adobe. Those are really the only video editing software I have any experience with.
Sony Vegas seems to be a pretty widely used piece of software.

As long as the interface is simple, I think I'm down to go into some research!

JayPlays

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Sony Vegas seems to be a pretty widely used piece of software.

As long as the interface is simple, I think I'm down to go into some research!
Hi Baylze, Movie Studio is pretty good! it has a much easier interface than Sony Vegas. I bought Movie Studio for £40 and it works like a dream, i then invested into getting Sony Vegas to push my editing skills.

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would recommend Sony Movie Studio Platinum. It is essentially the less expensive version of Vegas but with the vast majority of features that you will need to create YT gaming videos at a fraction of the cost. It's what I use. I believe it is around USD $50 where Vegas is $300+. The UI may look a little complicated at first but it is very quick to pick up.

Baylze

Overwatch YouTuber
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would recommend Sony Movie Studio Platinum. It is essentially the less expensive version of Vegas but with the vast majority of features that you will need to create YT gaming videos at a fraction of the cost. It's what I use. I believe it is around USD $50 where Vegas is $300+. The UI may look a little complicated at first but it is very quick to pick up.
Hi Baylze, Movie Studio is pretty good! it has a much easier interface than Sony Vegas. I bought Movie Studio for £40 and it works like a dream, i then invested into getting Sony Vegas to push my editing skills.
Hey guys. Movie Studio seems like a much better option. Which edition of this software do you think is the best? (or the one what you use?)