What to do about other youtubers spamming your video?

Don't woory too much about ur comment section. Smaller youtubers get spammers and people wanting to sub4sub, but once you get bigger it can get worse! Haters, trolls, loads of people saying first, even death threats if u have a lot of haters... Most people won't even comment something relevant when u get bigger (100,000 subs), just people thirsty for likes on their comment lol
Holy Cow!! Death threats?!?!? How do you handle those ~ report and block the person? What's thirsty for likes - what does it matter if your comment has 10 or 500 likes it makes no difference? And writing 'first' - why does that even matter? Crazy stuff...

Don't woory too much about ur comment section. Smaller youtubers get spammers and people wanting to sub4sub, but once you get bigger it can get worse! Haters, trolls, loads of people saying first, even death threats if u have a lot of haters... Most people won't even comment something relevant when u get bigger (100,000 subs), just people thirsty for likes on their comment lol
I see this a lot on channels that promote Mr. Trump. For kids channels, I have not seen one yet.

Generic comments do not hurt your video - they help them because they're engagement. Deleting the comments will only hurt you because the channel is still going to jump on your videos and give you low watch time, but you won't have the engagement either as a result. That kind of comment ("Good job"/"Great video") does not serve as good promotion for them since they aren't adding anything to the discussion, but by deleting the comment you're only sacrificing any gain from their spam and they still take away from your watch time.
  1. There will always be plenty of people who abandon videos early, that's why watch time is competitive. Trying to filter out a single person by subtlely deleting their comments and hoping they get the message is a waste of your time.

Fantastic advice. I was trying to find a good way to say the same thing, but this encapsulates it perfectly!

I reply to every comment by a couple of my favorite spammy commenters with the most tepid response I can Usually, "thx." It doesn't really stop them, but it makes me feel better, in a really cheap sort of way.

Fantastic advice. I was trying to find a good way to say the same thing, but this encapsulates it perfectly!

I reply to every comment by a couple of my favorite spammy commenters with the most tepid response I can Usually, "thx." It doesn't really stop them, but it makes me feel better, in a really cheap sort of way.
Haha favorite spammy commenter is the best way to describe it.

I can summarize it here.

Audience retention is the single most important thing that you can do to make your channel successful. Anything that has the potential to reduce the average percent they watch is bad. No one really seems to disagree with that. It's the following decisions that seem to be controversial but that I stand 100% behind.

1. Don't promote ever. Once your channel is big you can get away with it but when you're starting out it will kill your channel.
2. Don't try to make super original content.
3. Don't spend time asking for shoutouts, looking for colabs, etc.

Sorry I am late in this. But I am trying to figure out this audience retention and see how I can improve it.
No. 1. Don't ever promote?
I am trying to understand this a little bit more.

Sorry I am late in this. But I am trying to figure out this audience retention and see how I can improve it.
No. 1. Don't ever promote?
I am trying to understand this a little bit more.

I am running a promotion experiment now with Adwords. I want to compare how audience retention from native search/recommended versus Adwords audience retention compares. This is the first weekend I've run the ads over, and it will take a few days for results to update in analytics.
Basically, the "don't ever promote" comes from the idea that people you promote your videos to on Twitter/FB/Instagram/etc/etc will likely click in and click out within a few seconds, giving your horrible retention. This will kill your videos. Unless you can find a very-engaged audience/community outside of YT.
I am sort of agreeing with this idea, as our own results indicate that click-through from the social media networks to YT is very low. Maybe if you get big it gets better, I don't know.
The idea of don't promote is you let native YT algorithms discover your content and promote it for you. If you get good retention, YT will place the videos higher in search.
The reason that I like adwords for promotion, is that it is highly targeted. You are on the network where people want your content, and YT promotes your videos to people who are searching for your style of content. The click rates are 1.5% - 6% for some keywords (for us). Which for us is much much higher than click-through from Instagram/FB/Twitter. Hence why I am starting to believe in the 'don't promote' idea, but for outside YT networks.
Having said that, threads on here point to good experiences with reddit and Twitter. I think those are highly targeted to specific audiences on those networks. That seems to have worked for some people. It is a matter of finding your target audience and engaging with them, not blindly promoting everywhere. your audience can be anywhere on the net, but the vast majority of it is already on YT. You just have to reach them.
Happy Easter weekend all!!

I am running a promotion experiment now with Adwords. I want to compare how audience retention from native search/recommended versus Adwords audience retention compares. This is the first weekend I've run the ads over, and it will take a few days for results to update in analytics....

Thanks. Learnt a lot. Appreciate it.
I haven't started any paid promotion and not sure if I will but have noted on this.

Holy Cow!! Death threats?!?!? How do you handle those ~ report and block the person? What's thirsty for likes - what does it matter if your comment has 10 or 500 likes it makes no difference? And writing 'first' - why does that even matter? Crazy stuff...
If your comment has the most likes, it's the most recommended comment so gets seen by more people. Some people treat it as a game, like all the "first" comments and memes. I suppose someone could try it as a promo tool but it's unlikely to work.

As the other said: "Hide this user's comments on this channel".
In the past (when this option was unavailable) I simply banned such spammy channel. It was too much - she was even copying our videos by stalking kids in playgrounds playing with similar toys. It was quite crazy.

Back