What makes a thumbnail good?

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So, my thumbnails are boring. I know that. I want to know what makes a good thumbnail so I can improve my thumbnails and my channel! So, what is your secret to making thumbnails? Do you put multiple overlays, cool text, lots of color, etc????

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I would say there are 3 primary things that I consider when making a thumbnail:
1. Does it accurately reflect the content of the video
2. Does it show off channel branding (i.e. logo, text, colors, etc...).
3. Is it aesthetically pleasing and eye-catching

That's just me, though.

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I try to make it look nice, but it always looks...boring... I don't really put any channel branding into it, I might try that...

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I try to make it look nice, but it always looks...boring... I don't really put any channel branding into it, I might try that...
Not that my thumbnails are amazing, but feel free to take a look as I do use specific channel branding on all of them.

Reactions: TwoTakes

Lizzeelive

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Not that my thumbnails are amazing, but feel free to take a look as I do use specific channel branding on all of them.
I like your thumbnails. I need to make a logo, that is next on my agenda, lol.

TwoTakes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I wonder about thumbnails, I think they are best when they are bright, interesting and not cluttered.

We always put text in saying the name of video but I started wondering... why? The name of the video is already in the title so isn't it pretty redundant having it in the thumbnail.

What do people think?

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I like your thumbnails. I need to make a logo, that is next on my agenda, lol.
Thanks! Hope they helped to give you some inspiration. A logo will definitely be useful - even a simple one as it gives you a design to base other aspects off of.

TwoTakes

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
I like your thumbnails because you have a system and stick to it, it makes it seem slicker and more professional.

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I wonder about thumbnails, I think they are best when they are bright, interesting and not cluttered.

We always put text in saying the name of video but I started wondering... why? The name of the video is already in the title so isn't it pretty redundant having it in the thumbnail.

What do people think?
You'll find two very differing options on thumbnail text. Some love it some hate it. I personally like it as, especially on mobile or tablet platforms, the thumbnails are much more prominently displayed than the titles.[DOUBLEPOST=1469553807,1469553777][/DOUBLEPOST]
I like your thumbnails because you have a system and stick to it, it makes it seem slicker and more professional.
Thank you, sir :)

Reactions: TwoTakes

TripleBGTeam

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer
Thumbnails are a tricky thing to work with and get right. Once you start a formula its best to stick with it. Our thumbs tend to stick the formula that the series its for was started with. For example; All of our Pokemon Videos have the same thumbnail. The only time we switch our formula up is when we need to grab attention. This way you almost always recognize what series the video is from by just a glance.