What is the best way to get good audience retention

What do you think helps your viewers stay on your video?

• Personality and Character

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • Great Content

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Music

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Popups/Annotations

• Questions in between the video

• Total voters

Tamera O

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys, I'm Tamera and I started my YouTube channel early this year. I've been on YouTube on and off for 7 years now I know pretty bad, but along the way I have picked up that people watch my videos, but tend to drop off after a solid minute. I do advice/lifestyle videos so I understand it's not your typical popular topic all the time, but what can I do to keep my viewers watching my video until the end?

Would appreciate your advice! Thanks :)
:smug:

Morbidejs

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
First thing, that turned me off, is that "what`s up, guys". When I hear this phrase, I turn the video off. Unless I`m really interested in the content. I hate how many people ask "how is your day" just to be polite, but actually don`t care and are hypocritical. You genuinely care or don`t ask at all.
But I don`t live in an English speaking country and I`m not a normal yongster. :D

Reactions: Tamera O

Winger94

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well there are so many ways to make your content viewed for a longer amount of time. The first thing is, of course, using the first 10 seconds in the best way possible. This could be achieved in different ways: or introducing the video with the biggest amount of energy and transport possible (but not faking anything), or something I always forget to do that is putting a clip that could turn up the interest right at the beginning, possibly from the point of the video as close as possible to the end.

Tamera O

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yes! Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful :)[DOUBLEPOST=1471276531,1471276416][/DOUBLEPOST]I completely agree, what turned me off was that insincere welcome phrase, I try to remember I should treat my viewers as I would speaking to my friends to loosen up a little bit, thank you so much for your advice, I'll work on my presence within my videos.[DOUBLEPOST=1471276602][/DOUBLEPOST]You nailed it, I need to work on capturing my audience within the first few seconds, I'll give this a try, thank you!