Tips on choosing the right tags?

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
I use tube buddy too. How exactly can you see other youtubers tags? I have been trying to figure that out. I think it would be very useful to see the big channels. Since day 1 I struggle with finding the right tags for my videos.
With TubeBuddy installed, go to any video, and simply click on the 'TB Tags' option below the video next to 'Description.' That will show you all of the tags that video used.

Stay clear of using the same tags as larger channels as that will only assure that you're buried in the rankings. If you're going to use another channel/ video's tags as reference, you're better off using those of a channel only a little bit bigger.

Hi! I just checked out rapidtags and wrote a sample title. It spit out some good tags but some of them were 2 letter words like "at" and "to" I read somewhere that you shouldn't include those. What do you do?
Short words are completely useless as tags... as are generic or non-specific words or terms.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
I do it like this: Whatever keyword describes my video best I put into keywordtool.io/youtube to see what phrases are being searched on YouTube. Then I do the same on adwords.google.com/KeywordPlanner/ which displays what is searched on Google. Then I usually choose what appears on both lists, what best describes my video and what's searched most often. The most important thing is to put those phrases in the title and description!

But in any way, if there's too much competition for the terms you chose, it won't matter. If you see that you rank badly (Tubebuddy shows #s) you can adjust accordingly.

CelyD87

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well speaking from 6 years blogging experience good tags include a mix of longtail keywords and generic terms. the generic terms will most likely have high competition, but you just never know your luck (unless you do keyword research) this is why my brioche bun recipe is my highest viewed video, because the keywords used meant the video gets on the first page of results. longtail keywords are words that are relevant but not generic. so say your video is about mattresses and your doing a run down of the top 5 most comfortable mattresses. you wouldnt just put mattresses as a keyword because it's too generic (still a good one to throw in mind) but you'd put in tags like 'comfortable mattresses' and 'mattress reviews' words like that really. it's all about what the user will type in to youtube so that they end up on your video basically
Thank you for your reply. I think I get the idea. I mean I get the example you game me about using descriptive words in front of a generic word like mattresses. But how about the words like "to" should I still include it on tags as a separate single tag or combine it within a phrase? Either way thank you for sharing the link to rapidtags. I usually use tube buddy. I'm sure it will help me in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1478636606,1478636425][/DOUBLEPOST]Sha
With TubeBuddy installed, go to any video, and simply click on the 'TB Tags' option below the video next to 'Description.' That will show you all of the tags that video used.

Stay clear of using the same tags as larger channels as that will only assure that you're buried in the rankings. If you're going to use another channel/ video's tags as reference, you're better off using those of a channel only a little bit bigger.

Short words are completely useless as tags... as are generic or non-specific words or terms.
Shaky cow, thank you for the advise and clearing things up. I was a bit confused on what tags to use. Appreciate it!

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thank you for your reply. I think I get the idea. I mean I get the example you game me about using descriptive words in front of a generic word like mattresses. But how about the words like "to" should I still include it on tags as a separate single tag or combine it within a phrase? Either way thank you for sharing the link to rapidtags. I usually use tube buddy. I'm sure it will help me in the future.[DOUBLEPOST=1478636606,1478636425][/DOUBLEPOST]Sha

Shaky cow, thank you for the advise and clearing things up. I was a bit confused on what tags to use. Appreciate it!
If you think about your video as a viewer, and how they might end up on your video through what they type in the search bar, those words are what you want as your tags. I'll use words like 'to' or 'and' but youtube doesn't take any notice of those words, it just picks up the main key words.

Reactions: CelyD87

javacentral

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
With using tubebuddy, What helps with my tags are using well rated and searched keywords in my title and description and then using those as tags. It helps with where your video ranks a bunch

Rafij Rahman Rohan

Be Yourself
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi @CelyD87...actually I have also face this problem,sometime it's give you this kind of tags that are unnecessary to use after all it's a tool that generate random tags.So I will say instead of using all these tags that are generated by rapidtags on your video,you can use it as a tag suggestion.I mean you can use some of the tags of rapidtags & use some of the tags by doing a tag research.So if you use an overall mixture it's give you a better result.Hope that info helps :)

Reactions: CelyD87

GucciCarry

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
TubeBuddy is my personal favorite. Look at what other people are using and compare your tags to that.