Thoughts on Singers/Songwriters on YouTube

Squeal Cat

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Yes, it's all strategy.

But remember, covers of popular songs are already done by at least 10000 people.

WilliamRayWalters

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Or what about the ones that aren't famous yet?
If the ones who aren't famous yet have been working at it for awhile, then it's possible that they simply aren't good enough to be famous. They either need to practice more or come to the realization that singing professionally isn't something they are cut out for. Unlike other instruments, being a great singer requires a degree of inborn ability. I can practice many years, for hours each day until my voice is hoarse, but I will never have the control or range of a Bryan McKnight (for example). You can't teach vocal range, either it's there or it's not. You can widen it at either end through practice, but only to an extent. I believe that to some degree vocal control is the same way.

If a person truly has elite singing skills and put their ability out there, they will be noticed eventually.[DOUBLEPOST=1449198557,1449198310][/DOUBLEPOST]
But remember, covers of popular songs are already done by at least 10000 people.
This is true, but it almost implies that there is around a 1 out of 10,000 chance of being famous singing cover songs. 95% of those singers are average or worse. Have you ever seen a really famous singer with cover songs who wasn't pretty amazing? My point is that if you're good enough, it doesn't matter that there are 10,000 people doing the same thing, eventually the cream rises to the top. If you're not good enough then it doesn't matter, you were never going to make it anyway.

chottom

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I think that YouTube is ver nice outlet for all talented people. We uploaded only two songs but intend to upload more in the future - technically much more difficult of what we did up to now.
But yes YouTube is very good for covers or your own songs.

Your Chandelier - Sia Cover ~Rehannah Baptiste - was quite good by the way!

Last edited:

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I don't see anything wrong with cover songs. Take Dolly Parton's song "I Will Always Love You." That was a hit back in the 1970's. Whitney Houston covered it in the 90's, and it became one of the best-selling singles of all time. Now, most people think of Whitney Houston when they think of that song, even though Dolly Parton originally made it famous. "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" was a cover by Cyndi Lauper. It is one of the most famous songs that she sings, but was originally written and recorded by Robert Hazard. Beyonce has made covers, so has Led Zeppelin... Amy Winehouse...they've all produced "famous songs" that were actually covers.

Even the old classical composers from way back in the day took parts of songs from other composers, creating a "cover" in an antique sort of way...

So covers aren't just made by YouTubers! ^_^

But I do agree -- more original music would be nice. I think it's easier to do than many musicians might think because there aren't any music boundaries already set in place. That said, I'm too much of a chicken to release my own stuff! xD I haven't been doing anything really popular to begin with, so maybe I should just throw it out there. lol!

Not a random underground jazz song
And hey now! : P I'm working on a cool ragtime jazzy song called "SPONGE." It was written by W. C. Simon in in 1911, and I adore it! ^-^ No one else will know what on earth it is, and it's quite a funky ragtime tune, but that's okay. : D

The bigger issue to me is how simplistic the "hit music" has gotten. By golly, it all sounds the same! I turn the radio on, and the whole music station sounds like a cover of the same song over and over again. Same song. Different words. loL!

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
And hey now! : P I'm working on a cool ragtime jazzy song called "SPONGE." It was written by W. C. Simon in in 1911, and I adore it! ^-^ No one else will know what on earth it is, and it's quite a funky ragtime tune, but that's okay. : D
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch peoples renditions of obscure songs from god knows when! Was just saying that the general public who aren't in that niche market will flood towards pop covers.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd love to watch peoples renditions of obscure songs from god knows when! Was just saying that the general public who aren't in that niche market will flood towards pop covers.
lol! yay! Yea...covering pop songs is very tempting. They get so many views, the public relates to them, and they are easy to learn -- at least on instruments. I'd imagine singing them might be a little harder to do, (???!) but playing them on instruments requires really basic technique (at least compared to classical music).

Old songs are cool! =) I think there's a gigantic bucket of public domain music that can be morphed into some really cool stuff, if only people would give those old songs a chance. ^_^

I've found it really interesting that even in the world of "traditional folk music," I've noticed that we tend to play/cover songs that were written in the last 20 years or so. There's something that makes "old music" get lost in the past, but I don't know why.

Reactions: MattyGreen

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
lol! yay! Yea...covering pop songs is very tempting. They get so many views, the public relates to them, and they are easy to learn -- at least on instruments. I'd imagine singing them might be a little harder to do, (???!) but playing them on instruments requires really basic technique (at least compared to classical music).

Old songs are cool! =) I think there's a gigantic bucket of public domain music that can be morphed into some really cool stuff, if only people would give those old songs a chance. ^_^

I've found it really interesting that even in the world of "traditional folk music," I've noticed that we tend to play/cover songs that were written in the last 20 years or so. There's something that makes "old music" get lost in the past, but I don't know why.
Yeah most pop songs are 4 chords the whole way through. Old classical ones can be incredibly complex to play. As for singing, grab some auto-tune and you'll sound like most things in the charts! I really like film score music like John Williams stuff.

Reactions: KatyAdelson

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Yeah most pop songs are 4 chords the whole way through. Old classical ones can be incredibly complex to play. As for singing, grab some auto-tune and you'll sound like most things in the charts! I really like film score music like John Williams stuff.
John Williams is AWESOME!!! One of my viola friends said he got to perform with him in an orchestra in LA!!!! omg. I just about died when he said that. It made me wish I was good enough to be in a fancy LA orchestra.

Reactions: MattyGreen

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
John Williams is AWESOME!!! One of my viola friends said he got to perform with him in an orchestra in LA!!!! omg. I just about died when he said that. It made me wish I was good enough to be in a fancy LA orchestra.
Haha that's awesome! I really wish I could play Violin, I just have to program them at the moment!