Thoughts on "reaction" vids?

Justoshow

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Animator
Lately I've been seeing a pattern on YT. It seems to blow up all you have to do is do "reaction" videos and or mean prank vids. Not knocking anyone hustle, but whats your thoughts of that?

To me its like selling out, but thats just me. Not trying to start any mess to the reactors here.

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Depends on who's doing the reacting. If the creator has meaningful input, or reacts in an entertaining way, fair game. But there are a couple channels that have people who just sit there and watch the entire video with no input. AND THEY HAVE A LOT OF SUBS. But it really does depend on the creator.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I dont watch reaction videos at all. I find them utterly tedious

Reactions: Justoshow

GrimPeter

Reaction score
I think its trendy right now, so lots of people are jumping in. I'm sure it will move to something else soon enough, although I can't imagine it will be anything more deserving. I think if someone is talented, they will allow their channel to adapt. If someone is a one trick pony, they better strike while the irons hot.

Last edited:

Sloof

Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Depends, I don't like those who ONLY do reaction videos. All of them seemed forced and fake. Youtubers who do them occasionally are fine and it can be interesting to know their take on things, especially reviewers and critics.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I don't understand how people can watch someone else staring at a screen doing nothing

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I'm going to be brutally honest. I find them incredibly lazy and it bothers me that so much of YouTube is content based on things that other people have created. I realize that criticism, re-imagining, fan art, fan discussion, reactions, essays, etc. are an art form in themselves, but I see so much content that is simply people showing other people's work and adding the bare minimum to avoid copyright strikes that it saddens me.

Even worse is an observation that many reaction videos don't have much in the way of original content beyond a square in which you can see the person "reacting" by watching the video, then remembering that they are supposed to be doing something, so they make a big face or shout or laugh a little too hard, and it's not that interesting or fun. To me, of course. I can't speak for anyone else.

Finding truly original content on YouTube sometimes feels like searching for treasure at the bottom of the ocean.

Jawad Soomro

I'm a Human!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Designer
Some people watch videos and do not react at all. Thats kind of nonsense. As long as their reactions are entertaining and add value on YOUTUBE, it should be fine.