The Problem With A Shoutout Series

DarkNinjaYT

Reaction score
Hello, recently I've notice this trend appearing more often, and I have a serious problem with it and I wanted to discuss it to see if anyone sees it differently.

It's the shoutout series that I see a bunch of small channels doing it and it gives me the feeling they don't care about helping smaller channels and just do it to grow for themselves. I see these channels comment on smaller youtubers channels saying they "enjoy" their channel and try to bait them into their Shoutout series. The main problem I have with it, is the rules to enter. Which most of them is to subscribe and like and comment on every or a lot of videos.

Seeing these rules, its hard not to think they just want to help themselves grow, rather then other channels. Sense first off, you can't even see who liked your video, if there is a way to see who exactly liked a video, please tell me, and I doubt they would go through their sub list and go through all their subs to see if they've subscribed, and sometimes the smaller channels subs are private. It doesn't even help out other channels, because most of the time, it gives the winners inactive subs which will be gone it about a week. I've also noticed most of the people doing shoutout series, are also clickbait and spam youtubers. Who try to find every loophole to grow. I've also notice it mostly is kids doing this, trying to take the easy way out and not wanting to do any hard work. Do you Agree or Disagree?

sphamedia

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Shout out series are cancer, they grow and get alot of people to force themselves to engage for a hope, but when people subscribe to there victums, they destroy that channels growth because they dont watch

Reactions: DarkNinjaYT

DarkNinjaYT

Reaction score
Shout out series are cancer, they grow and get alot of people to force themselves to engage for a hope, but when people subscribe to there victums, they destroy that channels growth because they dont watch
Exactly!

Reactions: sphamedia

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I love seeing the ones that say "ALWAYS ACTIVE SUBS" and their channel has 10k subs but only around 50 views on each vid lmao

tlegacytv

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I agree absolutely. I am actually a "victim" of this as well. When I first started of course I was more desperate and wanted people to see my videos. One day a random guy commented saying he "likes" my videos and wants to shoutout my channel if I am interested. Of course I was but I had to go to the video on his channel to see the rules. The rules wanted us to subscribe, like and comment on all of his videos to show that we are active on his channel. I did that for a couple weeks but I saw his comment on someone else's video. He copy and pasted his comment on other small desperate channel to join his series so I ended up unsubscribing and unliked the videos. It is so scummy. I will grow on my own somehow.

DarkNinjaYT

Reaction score
I agree absolutely. I am actually a "victim" of this as well. When I first started of course I was more desperate and wanted people to see my videos. One day a random guy commented saying he "likes" my videos and wants to shoutout my channel if I am interested. Of course I was but I had to go to the video on his channel to see the rules. The rules wanted us to subscribe, like and comment on all of his videos to show that we are active on his channel. I did that for a couple weeks but I saw his comment on someone else's video. He copy and pasted his comment on other small desperate channel to join his series so I ended up unsubscribing and unliked the videos. It is so scummy. I will grow on my own somehow.
Some people tried to do this to me but luckily I was aware of the scam and just ignored it.

ellelletalk

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Ranter
I will periodically make shout out videos, and while I can't speak for other people's motives, I see it as a mutually beneficial endeavor.

I don't require anyone to like/subscribe. When I was making videos, I would shout out some small youtubers that I enjoyed, people who left comments on past videos etc. It's just a fun way to interact with people, and if it incentivizes people to comment on my videos - all the better!

I don't even think I told people that I gave them shoutouts. I think I just waited to see if they would notice. haha

Reactions: DarkNinjaYT

DarkNinjaYT

Reaction score
L
I will periodically make shout out videos, and while I can't speak for other people's motives, I see it as a mutually beneficial endeavor.

I don't require anyone to like/subscribe. When I was making videos, I would shout out some small youtubers that I enjoyed, people who left comments on past videos etc. It's just a fun way to interact with people, and if it incentivizes people to comment on my videos - all the better!

I don't even think I told people that I gave them shoutouts. I think I just waited to see if they would notice. haha
I like that, I think if people are going to do a shoutout series or just shout people out, it should be because you actually enjoy and feel like they deserve it.

Justine

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
Seriously these shoutout video series videos are literal cancer.
Like, I fell for this stuff when I was first starting, I'll admit it, but now it's just ridiculous and an obvious sign that the channel having this stuff just wants more subscribers. Like it's super enticing to get promoted by a larger channel and all you have to do is subscribe and be active, but half of the time they quit out on the series or just pick already just as large people...idk the whole concept sucks tbh.
BTW this isn't me trying to discredit shouting out channels in general if you like them because that's super chill of someone to do, but the whole "I'm doing a shoutout series for small channels and all you have to do is (insert BS here)" is so bad on so many levels.

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Shoutout series based on activities don't work. You won't get any meaningful exposure from them. Furthermore, all the people that participate are people that are desperate for subscribers. And if they are desperate they joined YouTube for the wrong reasons. As a measure of personal worth and... undoubtedly just for monetary gain.

True Shoutouts are those given by big YouTubers out of the blue. The ones that are genuine and from the heart. Those are the only ones I am interested in. And the wonderful thing? You can't ask for them. All you can do is be part of the community and be yourself. Shoutouts are earned, and not freely given away for petty tasks.