The First 10 Seconds Are The Most Important, Right?

Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I hear that 'the first ten seconds of the video are the most important' quite a bit when I ask questions about audience retention.
My question is, what are some of the techniques that you all use to keep people engaged? I don't really like the concept of having an intro, not only since I feel that that would encroach on my short window of time, but I also would rather just see the content than have to sit through an intro (personally).

I'd also consider making it so the event described in the title happened within those first moments, in order to show that the title isn't click bait.

These are some of the thoughts I had initially, but I want to know what you think. I want to make sure to avoid as many mistakes as I can before I make any bad habits, so any advice is appreciated!

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I have heard that you should try to use the word “you” within the first 10 seconds of the video. This indicates that you are talking directly to the viewer and this should give you a bigger chance of getting him/her engaged in your videos. I don’t know if it true though but worth a thought I would say.

Reactions: Tac0cann0n

Ripper Roo

Reaction score
I agree intros aren't much to me in fact most videos that have a intro especially longer then say 3 seconds I usually skip without hesitation. I have heard some give it 5 seconds others 10 who knows everyone is different I just started recently so still trying to figure out how to do well with engaging an audience.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
Immediately asking a question that will be answered in the video is an effective technique. I'm not sure how you could apply this to a gaming channel, but I guess something like "Is it possible to kill 200 zombies in 5 minutes in the new Call of Mayhem Zombieland Apocalypse????....Let's find out!" You can also invite viewers to comment with their highest kill count.

By the way, having watched my sons play video games I suspect that it is probably possible to kill 2000!

McWil

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends on the content you create. Funny montages should always have the best moment at the start of the video, for one reason to capture your viewers attention. I used to put ours in the middle, but recently started putting it at the front and our audience retention has grown by a small margain, not the best of percantages but it is a start.

Even you talking to your audience at the start can capture an audience, e.g. Jacksepticeye, his intro is BANG in your face and has you interacting with him right away, this brings you in. Another is by catching your audience of guard, especially if they don't expect you to speak at the start, you do a simple take of you thanking your viewers and subscribers for supporting you, then you get right into your game, these methods I have noticed seem to work.

Reactions: Tac0cann0n

Tac0cann0n

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Depends on the content you create. Funny montages should always have the best moment at the start of the video, for one reason to capture your viewers attention. I used to put ours in the middle, but recently started putting it at the front and our audience retention has grown by a small margain, not the best of percantages but it is a start.

Even you talking to your audience at the start can capture an audience, e.g. Jacksepticeye, his intro is BANG in your face and has you interacting with him right away, this brings you in. Another is by catching your audience of guard, especially if they don't expect you to speak at the start, you do a simple take of you thanking your viewers and subscribers for supporting you, then you get right into your game, these methods I have noticed seem to work.
I want to start a blend of Let's Play content in some of my games (Like Junk Jack for example) but at the same time I want to also upload the more random moments gameplay from games like Rainbow Six: Siege. Without coming off as overconfident or cringy, I'll have to think of a good way to have the short intro