Do you see a benefit in 'restarting' on Youtube?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Niels Cornelissen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Hello everyone!

I wanted to have a little discussion about 'starting over' on Youtube. Throughout my years on Youtube I've seen a lot of people quiting their channel to start over on a new one. Just search 'new channel' on youtube and be surprised by the amount of still existing 'dead' channel: it gives 369,000,000 search results!

In my opinion, quiting an existing channel is silly.

I often see people ditching their channels to 'start over'. The main argument they seem to have for this is that their subscribers are inactive and that therefore the amount of views they get compared to their subcount demotivates them. I've also seen people claim that they can't make the video's that they'd like to make on their current channel, and even people who 'just want to start fresh'.

While I can respect the latter, starting somethong over can be really fun and challenging after all, I don't see the point in the other arguments. I mean honestly, what is it that you can do on a channel with 0 subscribers that you can't do on one of however many subscribers the other channel already accumulated?

I'd love to hear some opinions on this! :)

PositivelyBrainwashed

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
I know there's channels that's been near dead for years like Roberto Blake's because he didn't take Youtube seriously, but now he's at 200k subs within just 2-3 years. So a dead or a low traffic channel can always make a comeback. But no one really knows the exact algorithm behind Youtube. Some say Youtube takes into account how much channel watch time you've gotten the past week, past month, past few months and even the past year. So if the past year part is correct and your traffic is just that bad, it's possible starting a channel from scratch might be a better option. Also if you plan to re-upload some of the videos and this time optimizing them and using more effective means to promote them then they might actually end up getting more traffic.

Reactions: Niels Cornelissen

Niels Cornelissen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
I know there's channels that's been near dead for years like Roberto Blake's because he didn't take Youtube seriously, but now he's at 200k subs within just 2-3 years. So a dead or a low traffic channel can always make a comeback. But no one really knows the exact algorithm behind Youtube. Some say Youtube takes into account how much channel watch time you've gotten the past week, past month, past few months and even the past year. So if the past year part is correct and your traffic is just that bad, it's possible starting a channel from scratch might be a better option. Also if you plan to re-upload some of the videos and this time optimizing them and using more effective means to promote them then they might actually end up getting more traffic.
You do make some very good points there. Although I do think that re-uploading videos doesn't necessarily need to be done on a new channel.

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
Same channel. I have a seasonal channel so basically nothing over the winter. One video upload and the traffic spikes up again. Those old videos still have value. There are times when I'm searching videos and super old videos are recommended. All those likes, views, comments, etc go poof if you fresh upload them.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)

XXLRay

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If you messed up your channel you made some mistakes. Just starting over will not remove these mistakes. You will make the same things wrong and fail again. Instead analyze what worked and what didn't work. Improve on your content and build up upon your existing content and subscriber base. If you start over you won't be able to compare you current data to older values.

Niels Cornelissen

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
If you messed up your channel you made some mistakes. Just starting over will not remove these mistakes. You will make the same things wrong and fail again. Instead analyze what worked and what didn't work. Improve on your content and build up upon your existing content and subscriber base. If you start over you won't be able to compare you current data to older values.
Fully agree[DOUBLEPOST=1487875742,1487875723][/DOUBLEPOST]
Moved to the strategy / technique forum. :)
okay :)

Justoshow

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Animator
Only reason i started my new channel is because my other channel became an animation channel. My new channel will be a mix of real, vfx, and animation channel. Either way, you still have to put in work to get people to actually watch. So I say, starting over because of a dead channel is a waste of time. Just do a overhaul IMO.

Maxemole

Resident Potato
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hello everyone!

I wanted to have a little discussion about 'starting over' on Youtube. Throughout my years on Youtube I've seen a lot of people quiting their channel to start over on a new one. Just search 'new channel' on youtube and be surprised by the amount of still existing 'dead' channel: it gives 369,000,000 search results!

In my opinion, quiting an existing channel is silly.

I often see people ditching their channels to 'start over'. The main argument they seem to have for this is that their subscribers are inactive and that therefore the amount of views they get compared to their subcount demotivates them. I've also seen people claim that they can't make the video's that they'd like to make on their current channel, and even people who 'just want to start fresh'.

While I can respect the latter, starting somethong over can be really fun and challenging after all, I don't see the point in the other arguments. I mean honestly, what is it that you can do on a channel with 0 subscribers that you can't do on one of however many subscribers the other channel already accumulated?

I'd love to hear some opinions on this! :)
This is my third channel now, and it's grown the quickest by FAR. I wanted to restart because I had learned so much from my previous channels that I figured I could take that and run with it from the start. Turns out that sort of worked. I'm still very small of course, but I'm growing each day.

That being said - I don't think it's a bad idea to pick up again after it's been a bit, or even to completely change your types of content. I have seen channels do it and succeed in doing it. There are pros and cons to both.

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I feel the same way too. I am thinking if we should just restart iur channel to something new. Our views are dropping notlike before we started four months ago. Do you think it is worth to restart? Could you guys check out our channel and let us know what us going on or what is wrong? Any advices to correct the mistakes will really help us. Thanks