Recipes, longer or shorter videos?

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
OK so I watched an hour long seminar by Derrel eves yesterday which was fascinating. He was talking about baseline watch time minutes and how he helped channels double their views each month by capitalising on YouTube's algorithm. He basically said that watch time is king and you should be aiming for that. And I agree. Looking at my analytics my watch time is ever increasing because I release a video twice a week. Most of my videos are between 5-9 minutes long which I think is ample. My question is should I make them longer or shorter?

Or maybe once a month I could do a longer vlog type video showing bloopers, what's in my cupboards etc to increase watch time further. The video by Derrel is great by the way and worth a watch.

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I recently watched something similar by Amy Schmittauer. With regards to watch time she recommended that videos should only be as long as you feel you can retain your audience retention. Lengthening video time in order to benefit from the YouTube algorithm is risky if it means that the video becomes boring or difficult to follow.

Just by way of some feedback as somebody who watches ALOT of cooking videos: Personally I like videos to be short, to the point, and entertaining. I sometimes cook with my PC next to the stove so that I can reference the video over and over again. I really like Jamie Oliver's video style, it gets right down to business and does not over complicate things.

I took a look at a couple of your videos, they look really well done to me - good editing, really nice presentation...I wouldn't change the length if I were you.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I recently watched something similar by Amy Schmittauer. With regards to watch time she recommended that videos should only be as long as you feel you can retain your audience retention. Lengthening video time in order to benefit from the YouTube algorithm is risky if it means that the video becomes boring or difficult to follow.

Just by way of some feedback as somebody who watches ALOT of cooking videos: Personally I like videos to be short, to the point, and entertaining. I sometimes cook with my PC next to the stove so that I can reference the video over and over again. I really like Jamie Oliver's video style, it gets right down to business and does not over complicate things.

I took a look at a couple of your videos, they look really well done to me - good editing, really nice presentation...I wouldn't change the length if I were you.
Thank you very much for your input mate. I guess I should stop worrying and stick to what I'm doing. A nice big kitchen would be nice though! (I get really bad kitchen envy)

Reactions: Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale

Yachts For Sale
Reaction score
I'm listening to Derrel Eve's seminar now (while finishing some emails, and checking YTTalk...). It is really excellent, great that we can access this free info.

Stick with your channel and doing what you are doing. I have been playing and experimenting with my channel for a few years and really only just decided on the right strategy. I'm finally seeing some amazing results, so I'm glued to analytics and socialblade so that I can enjoy the success!

Reactions: adams eats