Private to Public Video Publishing

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

Normally I publish my videos straight away, but sometimes I think I missed something in the description, or I want to wait until a time my subscribers are online. Does publishing "private" then making "public" have any negative implications?

I know getting views quickly is part of the algorithm, so want to change my publishing times to get more eyeballs on my videos, but wondered if private to public is hurting my videos?

Thanks!

Dave Pollack

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Won’t hurt at all! In fact using the “scheduled” feature to have the video go live at a specific day/time is a great way to maximize views. Use analytics to see when people are watching your channel and adjust accordingly. This is also good for keeping a consistent upload schedule so people get used to when your videos go live.

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks for your help guys, just wanted to know for sure :)

Ezrider92356

Super Poster
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
a lot of times I finish my video's late at night or in the evening and by the time they will finish uploading it will be in my lowest viewed hours so I will use the scheduling feature to make them go live during a better time. this will help you more than anything. when I have had video's go live at 11-12pm they don't normally start picking up till the next morning.

Reactions: Darren Taylor

YouTube4x4

I've Got It
Reaction score
I would think letting the private upload sit for a few hours before making it public is probably a better idea, especially if you want 2k or 4K resolutions to be available for all viewers. For 1080p this is usually not an issue since it is quicker to process.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MASE

I've Got It
Reaction score
Always set to private. Take your time to finish it and move onto the next!

Iron-Will

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Uploading to Private is a great way for you to work out all the extras before you post! You can then spend time figuring out your best keywords, annotations, description, title, thumbnail, etc... I set my default to upload to private for every video :) To my knowledge there is no impact on the YouTube 'algorithm', until the video goes live!

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Private to public is probably the best way to go. It doesn't harm the video in any way other than the fact the video is unpublished and invisible to viewers/subscribers until it is published which is about the same disadvantage as not uploading the video anyway. So no, it's not harming your video. The other advantage is that you can schedule your video to publish at a specific time (only works if it's originally private and maybe even in unlisted). Hence why defaulting to private 1st is better; you can pick the time you feel is best for the video to go public and you don't have to be there when it does.

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey guys,

Normally I publish my videos straight away, but sometimes I think I missed something in the description, or I want to wait until a time my subscribers are online. Does publishing "private" then making "public" have any negative implications?

I know getting views quickly is part of the algorithm, so want to change my publishing times to get more eyeballs on my videos, but wondered if private to public is hurting my videos?

Thanks!
I am using the video scheduling feature for more than a year now and it helped me considerably grow my channel. I used a script to program the scheduled publishing times to be not easy to guess by the subscribers times. The only issue that may arise with the video is that if it is Scheduled and not yet published, it is Private and if some ContentID claimer sees potential match, he can review your video only if he claims it and you dispute it. Also, you can't freely share the video when it is in Private/Scheduled. This may cause troubles sometimes.