Pre-recording warmup or ritual?

DangerNuggett

Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator
Hey yttalk, I'm a new content creator and I was wondering if anyone has a pre-recording checklist, warmup, exercise etc that they do to get in the mood and mindset to record.

For example, back when I used to take acting in highschool, we used to do a warmup exercise that involved making up a story one word at a time rapidly in a group in order to get our creativity going.

Personally, for me, I've just been waiting until I get into the mood to make something but I don't like the idea of being inconsistent in my posts.

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I usually run through a whole video before I even turn on the camera. It's usually pretty rough around the edges the first time through, but a little better when I'm actually filming. An initial run-through makes it so I can prepare what I want to say and sound a little more organized in the video.

Then I set my extra batteries, and SD cards nearby, make sure my microphone is plugged in (if I'm using an external one), and I attempt to set up the camera's white balance, iso, etc. and focus it (if I can reach the button, otherwise I just use auto-focus). If I'm feeling kind of grumpy or sick and not in a good mood, I'll try to find something funny to watch and lift my spirits a bit. Sometimes I'll dance around a bit like a crazy person...lol... Happy moods come across in videos, even if you aren't actually talking in the video... :eek:

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't go in front of the camera,
here are some "behind" words:

untie your hands,
take breaths,
I am not here, and this camera is not recording.
talk with the mouth and talk with your hands,
gesture or just relieve stress with body or hand moves
don't move or walk, dance even slight while sitting in one place
smile to me, smile to the camera, give a sexy smile, a promising one,
wait, this didn't suck, good try, let's try this again
again
click! don't stop, I just got you a cool shot for your instagram it will be a killer!
again
again
again
no i will not fix in post, you can make it
again
perfect (no it wasn't, but this is good enough)
let's try this
let's try that
let's have a break
and usually the camera rolls and gives way too much useless footage but some authentic scenes also.
(write down the timecode or use a stop watch counter app to be able to find it fast and trash the rest)

and don't forget to compliment your talent (you)
Pat your self on the back (sorry google translated phrase hahaha)
speak to yourself, good job, next time better!!

Here is a controversial one, don't take it really seriously, a SMALL glass of drink sometimes help alot.