Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Does anyone know of anything you can use instead of a pop filter and their alternatives? Preferable something easy and small perhaps? Any ideas?

Thank you.

THEREALFLUFF

I'm in the 50th percentile of "Well-Known"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I heard socks work, but they're not as effective or elegant as pop filters. Heard pantyhose can be used too if you have any of those lying around.

Reactions: Crown and Michael

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I've heard of people making DIY ones with a pair of tights and a metal coathanger. - stretching the material over the coathanger. Personally, I don't use one and just position the mic to one side and slightly below my mouth and I never get any pops.

Reactions: Michael

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I heard socks work, but they're not as effective or elegant as pop filters. Heard pantyhose can be used too if you have any of those lying around.
Im wanting one that can be attached to a portable audio recorder preferably that can be carried around easily. I could dress the end of it in a sock if necessary :D

I've heard of people making DIY ones with a pair of tights and a metal coathanger. - stretching the material over the coathanger. Personally, I don't use one and just position the mic to one side and slightly below my mouth and I never get any pops.
I have one just cant use it because of how I mount the mic, maybe I should just move the mic further away from the source in future instead.

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
It's not so much the distance - you can have it really close - just make sure it's to one side (about 45° angle) so that the exhaled air goes past it but not onto it.

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's not so much the distance - you can have it really close - just make sure it's to one side (about 45° angle) so that the exhaled air goes past it but not onto it.
Trouble is I normally have it off to the side haha I will do some testing or something with P's and see if I can get it to stop. It has a small windshield that seems to help when it is on somewhat.

Reactions: Crown

Lime Cake Music

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician
I'm gonna agree with crown here, the best option is really to find an angle where you get no popping. And it's not actually too hard, you don't have to be miles away from the target, simple adjust the angle.
I've found that with any pop filter (whether it's the built in ones on a Shure SM58, the thread-on windshield of a stereo recorder or a classic "net stocking" that you see in a studio) it never guarantees that no pop will occur.
Don't get me wrong, I'll always put a pop filter on if available but it's not essential.

What you want to bear in mind is to not go too much "off axis" of the mic, so that the sound gets thin and weak :)

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
That was one of my concerns trying to avoid them and making the sound sound like the subject is miles away or talking into the wrong place :D

Strafy

Super Strafer
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I put the microphone close to my mouth but a little bit to the right and have no problems, I also paid £30 for a pop filter which I don't use lol :(

Michael

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I put the microphone close to my mouth but a little bit to the right and have no problems, I also paid £30 for a pop filter which I don't use lol :(
Luckily mine was cheap :D