"Not Subscribed" Are More Engaged Than "Subscribed"

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my channel I am looking at my analytics and I can see that my views from unsubscribed users have a much higher retention than subscribed, and in addition I get more views from non subscribed too. I also get most of my views from search and not suggested, so in a lot of ways my channel is back to front!

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just accept my channel is based on search and forget about suggested and engaging subs and turn it into a "resource" for people searching. I don't have a community...

videoeditgr

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Apologies for the offtopic but i made an observation :p You have same or similar body poses and face expessions on many of your thumbnails :D

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
In my channel I am looking at my analytics and I can see that my views from unsubscribed users have a much higher retention than subscribed, and in addition I get more views from non subscribed too. I also get most of my views from search and not suggested, so in a lot of ways my channel is back to front!

Has anyone else experienced this? Should I just accept my channel is based on search and forget about suggested and engaging subs and turn it into a "resource" for people searching. I don't have a community...
This seems quite normal. Subscribers are the first to know about your video and they watch it because that's why they subscribed to you. But once the first several hours after the video is published are passed, then the video ranks in the SERPs (according to the first hours performance) and then most of the traffic comes from search engines (if it is ranked well).

Additionally, your statistics aren't big enough to make definitive conclusions. Once you reach more than 10K subscrbiers, you will have better overall picture, corresponding to the law of large numbers (LLN).

Reactions: Darren Taylor

Gate of Theories

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Youtuber
This is the most normal thing. The aim of subscribers is they are more likely to watch another one of your videos again. You should expect these results.

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can see that my views from unsubscribed users have a much higher retention than subscribed
I will take that as a good sign in terms of SEO:) I take it that these viewers searched for something and one of your videos came up, and that is always a good thing right?
Should I just accept my channel is based on search and forget about suggested and engaging subs and turn it into a "resource" for people searching
This is a very hard question.. I guess it depends on what you want with your channel?? Let´s say you want to make a little money on YT (just an example) if you want to make money from ads you are doing all the right things but if you want to make money from a fan base (like on patreon or whatever) you will have to re-think:)

Darren Taylor

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Apologies for the offtopic but i made an observation :p You have same or similar body poses and face expessions on many of your thumbnails :D
Haha, yes I need another thumbnail photoshoot![DOUBLEPOST=1542658204,1542658162][/DOUBLEPOST]
This seems quite normal. Subscribers are the first to know about your video and they watch it because that's why they subscribed to you. But once the first several hours after the video is published are passed, then the video ranks in the SERPs (according to the first hours performance) and then most of the traffic comes from search engines (if it is ranked well).

Additionally, your statistics aren't big enough to make definitive conclusions. Once you reach more than 10K subscrbiers, you will have better overall picture, corresponding to the law of large numbers (LLN).
You're right, it is probably too early to tell for sure. with only 1k subs, it's hard to tell.[DOUBLEPOST=1542658274][/DOUBLEPOST]
I will take that as a good sign in terms of SEO:) I take it that these viewers searched for something and one of your videos came up, and that is always a good thing right?

This is a very hard question.. I guess it depends on what you want with your channel?? Let´s say you want to make a little money on YT (just an example) if you want to make money from ads you are doing all the right things but if you want to make money from a fan base (like on patreon or whatever) you will have to re-think:)
I would ideally want a community but it's difficult because not every video will be relevant to a user at a specific time. It's a tough one indeed!

Reactions: videoeditgr

Dave2017

Get The Picture?
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I would ideally want a community but it's difficult because not every video will be relevant to a user at a specific time. It's a tough one indeed!
And that´s the problem right there:) Every video will NOT be relevant to all users at the same time but never the less you can still build a comunity IMO. If you stick to your own style even though the topics are different this should be posible. I just uploaded a video about different types of humor and how you can mix it up. I try to use humor in my videos but the problem is the same, Not everyone like the same type of humor:)