Hot Topic New YouTube end screen **all discussion here**

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
In principle I like the feature but currently they can't replace my existing end card plus you disable all annotations (even before the end card) when you use it.
My hopes are that they plan to upgrade the end card system into a full replacement for annotations (not just at the end of the video). Annotations still look like something from 2006 YouTube and have been outdated for a while, they could use a clean fresh update.

It'd be a good way to kill several birds with one stone: Allowing annotations to work on mobile, upgrading the visual appearance of annotations, and allowing them to work alongside the end screen stuff.

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
My hopes are that they plan to upgrade the end card system into a full replacement for annotations (not just at the end of the video). Annotations still look like something from 2006 YouTube and have been outdated for a while, they could use a clean fresh update.

It'd be a good way to kill several birds with one stone: Allowing annotations to work on mobile, upgrading the visual appearance of annotations, and allowing them to work alongside the end screen stuff.
When they announced cards originally, they mentioned that they eventually want them to replace annotations. So with end cards now being a thing, I don't think the wait will be anymore than 1-2yrs before Annotations are fully replaced. I just hope Google don't force their own ideal of how they should be used by creators and allow us to manipulate them in the same way annotations could be.

UserU

Suspended
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
It's great, but flawed in several ways:
1) A video must be added. It destroys my existing CTA card which houses my external channels.

2) The limitation window is not fullscreen, hence aligning with point 1.

3) Icons can't be smaller.

Nevertheless, it's much better than existing annotations as it's more interactive.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Hmm...
Maybe I'll give this a try.

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I like it so far. It has saved me a lot of time. However IMO right now it can't replace annotations. I've been using annotations for chapter markers for my vids. Using annotations people can easily skip around my video to find what they want. I'd like to replace this with a "chapters card" but so far this feature isn't available. Also many people use annotations for video updates, but so far cards can't do that.

KorrensEmber

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
i never even noticed it because you have to go into edit and i never alter my videos with the youtube editor ill just stick to my custom outro cards dont feel like figuring out how to use theirs lol

DukWin

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Just made my outro template! Damnit YouTube!

WolfWraith

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Gamer
Just made my outro template! Damnit YouTube!
I made mine about a year ago & I'm still not happy about changing it lol. And I did just try to give it a chance, only to find that the end card system just will not work with my style of outro at all. The ironic thing is that it strips any creativity I put into the outro and replaces it with something pretty static, limited & unimaginative.

Really hope they don't replace annotations with this now if they're not planning on improving it, but I get a really bad feeling for some reason, that they won't change the way it works, probably because cards have remained the same since launch. But if they don't, everyone is just gonna have the exact same outro/end card, so what will be the point of watching them.

YourTubeFails

Reaction score
This new feature has been a god send. The number of subscriptions to my channel have grown massively and so has the views on my videos. I looked at the analytics and the majority of people that have subscribed and/or viewed my videos because of the new end screens have been from mobile devices.

The only thing i don't like is the fact that it now overlaps the end parts of my video. What I've been doing on my most recent videos is creating a 20 second end screen just for the new feature. That way it don't overlap my videos and makes the video look more professional. Besides that, it saves me a whole lot of time and work. If you want to see a preview of what i mean about the end screen i created, watch my most recent video on my channel ( Title: More Funny Videos and Funny Fails Video Compilation )

Maybe creating our own custom end screens for this new feature is the way forward. What are your thoughts?

Marvinton

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I really like this new feature I think it's an elegant way to promote your videos and others as well. I will be definitely be using this feature in my future uploads. :bounce: