Massive drop in views on kid channels

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
You can make those puppydog eyes as large as you want in that thumbnail sweetheart, and your husband can go back and get every shirt in his wardrobe pooped on in DC - ain't going to receive any of my pitty. People over a million subs should keep their mouths shut during a time like this (and most of them are, because they know they are what led to the over-inflation of the kids niche). We're sorry that your upcoming (and extraneous) channel which you put a hundred grand into developing is going to not be in the most ideal of circumstances for success, but the reality is that those who took this niche overboard (see also - Ryan) and through pure greed monetized their children's childhood are the reason that the spotlight is on us. Kids don't understand an alternate "normal" life when they haven't had the opportunity to experience it, Loann and Shion. Of course Ryan is going to say that he likes doing what he is doing - he knows nothing else. I have a pretty strong stance on involvement of children in a video. If your child is actively enjoying the experience, passively playing, and you are merely capturing the moment, that is one thing. If there's a shot, and I mean even one shot, where you are instructing your kids to watch a non-existent fake rocket that your editors will overlay in post-production, well congratulations, you have just passed the welcome sign to dollarville. I hope that those kids are adequately home-schooled. I'm sure their loyal fanbase would say yes. Admittedly maybe I am being too harsh, but at the very least, don't put your face in a camera and look for pitty.

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Guys watch this leave a comment to FTC
And this guy. Through all of the effort he and his wife put into producing these videos, somehow they've neglected an important point. YouTube is to blame. YouTube broke the law and are now scared straight because of it (as illustrated by their representative's behavior in the COPPA sessions). Lawsuits aren't just for fun - they are the real deal. Regardless of parents handing over devices (valid point), regardless of what will happen in the future with content becoming more mature (valid point), YouTube broke the law. Even having total awareness of the issue of their platform and not doing anything about it is more defensible in court, but they took it a step further (out of the same greed that fuels many who are going overboard in the kids niche), they flaunted their abilities to reach under 13'ers to advertisers. And now they say nothing. Silence. Support is not coming. We've been officially told that our revenue would be impacted, straight from the head honcho. To expect a different result is unlikely. Oh hey by the way - mind maybe going into some amount of detail about what was discussed in these inspirational meetings with the FTC, savior of the kids niche? If he behaved anything like any of the other advocates for the kids niche in the FTC sessions, he was probably begging for mercy for his upcoming channel. These people are all about themselves. YouTube needs to come forward and fix it's mistake.

Reactions: Redterrors

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
I have seen a couple of articles and videos posted by this individual. He is very well articulate and obviously has the ability to understand the stipulated order for injunction that the District Court entered. It is my belief that some of his interpretations are erroneous and his true motive is to protect the sizable income that he receives from making content consumed by kids. An income by the way that is so large that he no longer has to use that very expensive law degree he earned. Family vlogging channels are primarily watched by kids. I will give him credit in that so far he is the only creator that I have seen that has fully comprehended the issue at hand, but a lot of his positions have fatal flaws.

The fight needs to be with Google and Youtube LLC which is making moves in direct violation of the Stipulated Order by intentionally reducing views for kid content creators and instead pushing content made for older audiences toward kids in order to preserve precious ad revenue. All of these comments and demand for change is pointless. This is coming from a kid content creator and someone that actually knows how this bureaucratic process works.
Precisely.

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
You can make those puppydog eyes as large as you want in that thumbnail sweetheart, and your husband can go back and get every shirt in his wardrobe pooped on in DC - ain't going to receive any of my pitty. People over a million subs should keep their mouths shut during a time like this (and most of them are, because they know they are what led to the over-inflation of the kids niche). We're sorry that your upcoming (and extraneous) channel which you put a hundred grand into developing is going to not be in the most ideal of circumstances for success, but the reality is that those who took this niche overboard (see also - Ryan) and through pure greed monetized their children's childhood are the reason that the spotlight is on us. Kids don't understand an alternate "normal" life when they haven't had the opportunity to experience it, Loann and Shion. Of course Ryan is going to say that he likes doing what he is doing - he knows nothing else. I have a pretty strong stance on involvement of children in a video. If your child is actively enjoying the experience, passively playing, and you are merely capturing the moment, that is one thing. If there's a shot, and I mean even one shot, where you are instructing your kids to watch a non-existent fake rocket that your editors will overlay in post-production, well congratulations, you have just passed the welcome sign to dollarville. I hope that those kids are adequately home-schooled. I'm sure their loyal fanbase would say yes. Admittedly maybe I am being too harsh, but at the very least, don't put your face in a camera and look for pitty.

What you don't understand is that nothing that is going on has anything to do with the exploitation of a child for profit, like Ryan. I agree with you that what was done to Ryne was horrible, but what the FTC is doing has nothing to do with that. That is an issue for CPS. What the FTC is doing has to do with Targeted ads appearing on content that children are watching. It is doing nothing to prevent any parents from doing the same exact thing Ryan's parents did to him. What the FTC is doing is destroying all small-time user-created content on the internet. Not just Children oriented content, buy ANY content that children might like to watch. The FTC is not saying you can't make it. They are saying you can't make money off of TARGETED ads from it. Well honey, the internet is FUNDED by TARGETED ads, without which, it would not exist. Take away targeted ads on content, and you take away all incentive to create it. So the FTC is throwing the baby out with the whole dang ocean of bathwater. The sad thing is it will not do one thing to prevent situations like Rayan's. You would have to outlaw child acting to stop that. That means no more Shirly Temples tap dancing at age 3! No more McCully Culkins fighting of crooks at Christmas. No more Raven-Symoné being adorably cute on the Cosby Show. No more Dominique Moceanus, that trained like dogs from age 2 to make the Olympics.

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
What you don't understand is that nothing that is going on has anything to do with the exploitation of a child for profit, like Ryan. I agree with you that what was done to Ryne was horrible, but what the FTC is doing has nothing to do with that. That is an issue for CPS. What the FTC is doing has to do with Targeted ads appearing on content that children are watching. It is doing nothing to prevent any parents from doing the same exact thing Ryan's parents did to him. What the FTC is doing is destroying all small-time user-created content on the internet. Not just Children oriented content, buy ANY content that children might like to watch. The FTC is not saying you can't make it. They are saying you can't make money off of TARGETED ads from it. Well honey, the internet is FUNDED by TARGETED ads, without which, it would not exist. Take away targeted ads on content, and you take away all incentive to create it. So the FTC is throwing the baby out with the whole dang ocean of bathwater. The sad thing is it will not do one thing to prevent situations like Rayan's. You would have to outlaw child acting to stop that. That means no more Shirly Temples tap dancing at age 3! No more McCully Culkins fighting of crooks at Christmas. No more Raven-Symoné being adorably cute on the Cosby Show. No more Dominique Moceanus, that trained like dogs from age 2 to make the Olympics.
All of your points are valid. What the FTC did was in response to major advocacy groups petitioning because Ryan's face was showing up on Wal-Mart shelves and people who didn't have their noses in our world (some of which were probably lawmakers) were like... wtf who is this kid? The Guan's are a major influencer here and really stoked the flames. I think we have to recognize it. They went overboard. They continue to produce videos every x amount of hours too. Pure greed. At least Cocomelon isn't taping their kids faces into a smile. As usual we are on the same page, I'm just expressing my distaste for these folks response when paired with the type of content that they were aiming to produce (fake rockets, etc.).

FamilyToyReview

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Some of these big channels are helping drive large numbers of their viewers to comment on the FTC site and petition on Change.org. Which is what we want. Not sure why we are bringing each other down. I hope we can all agree that if this youtube lawyer finds success in DC, then it benefits the rest of us. This forum is a twilight zone.

Reactions: Little Big Kids TV

Jungle Explorer

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
All of your points are valid. What the FTC did was in response to major advocacy groups petitioning because Ryan's face was showing up on Wal-Mart shelves and people who didn't have their noses in our world (some of which were probably lawmakers) were like... wtf who is this kid? The Guan's are a major influencer here and really stoked the flames. I think we have to recognize it. They went overboard. They continue to produce videos every x amount of hours too. Pure greed. At least Cocomelon isn't taping their kids faces into a smile. As usual we are on the same page, I'm just expressing my distaste for these folks response when paired with the type of content that they were aiming to produce (fake rockets, etc.).
Okay. I got you. I can be a little narrow focus sometimes and it is hard to shift gears. I agree that no kid should live the way Rayan has.

My problem is that a week ago, I had no idea what was going on, but now as I learning more and hearing words coming right out of the FTC director's mouth saying that YouTube creators are "Fish in a barrel" and very easy for the FTC to shoot. I am really concerned. I have been around a long time and seen a lot. Most people only see the here and now, but I see so much more than that. I know what small things turn into. People believe that there is going to be a ripple effect from this FTC decision. What I see is tantamount to the Boxing Day Tsunami of Indonesia in 2004.

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Some of these big channels are helping drive large numbers of their viewers to comment on the FTC site and petition on Change.org. Which is what we want. Not sure why we are bringing each other down. I hope we can all agree that if this youtube lawyer finds success in DC, then it benefits the rest of us. This forum is a twilight zone.
As Redterrors mentioned, many of us feel that the petitioning is misdirected and is going to be fruitless. I think the FTC does it just to let people feel like they've been heard. Watch the sessions from start to finish and I think you might end up sharing my perspective. The FTC and the groups that sparked this (all of them were on the panels) view this as kids being at risk. Kids are the majority. YT Creators and their business impact are the minority. I'm trying to stay level-headed given the situation because I don't want optimism ripping dinner off of our plates come January. In terms of bringing each other down - I don't identify with many kid creators in our niche because of their behavior.

Reactions: Jungle Explorer

just Moto

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
One would think the simple solution would be having a "Kids Tube" separate from youtube. Is this what the YouTube kids app is about?

I sometimes enjoy watching some of the cocomelon type channels with my 1 year old and yes they have lots of ads. We also use Netflix for kids.

I don't understand how any of this is supposed to work. Given that youtube started out being mostly adult content around 2005 without monetization and has now evolved into one big mess what does 2020 look like?

I have been out of the loop on this thread for a while and tried to make sense of some of what's going on. The only thing I've made sense of so far is from the Darrel Eves video saying this December is going to be the end for alot of channels.... Kids channel and non kids channels

IceDog

Reaction score
SAVE Family-Friendly Content on YouTube

Hello

I just signed the YouTubers and Viewers UNITE Against FTC Regulation petition
We want to collect 50,000 signatures, and we really need your support.

Here you can learn more about this campaign and also sign the petition: http://chng.it/qMr2CgDcSY

Thank you!

Reactions: Jungle Explorer