Massive drop in views on kid channels

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
We make videos on a specific toy that kids under 13 enjoy as well as teens and adults over 13. Not even sure what it means to Target a specific audience under 13 unless you are doing videos for little kids with nursery rhymes, colors, kiddie style cartoons, it little kid toys, etc. I guess it's easier if you are targeting maybe 6-8 year olds and younger. How does one determine that your audience should stop at 13 year olds? Our older toy videos were for a younger audience I guess and I would mark them as such but I think our newer stuff starts at the older range of kids and up.

YouTube can stop all this nonsense and have people just verify their age!

As for family vloggers, my younger child watches a few of them on the YouTube kids app so it would be strange for those channels to say we don't target kids but YouTube has been putting their videos on the YT kids app this whole time while so many other channels don't have a single video on that app.

As for tracking kids, with YouTube's resolution for this law they will still 100% be tracking my older child who is under 13 based on the channels he watches. For example Dude Perfect. They will track every child who watches that channel whether or not they are targeting kids and the list can go on and on and on.
The problem with this whole issue is that Youtube has no idea how many kids under 13 watch regular Youtube. Nursery rhyme channels and preschool channels are obviously being watch by young kids, but I don't think Youtube realizes that most of these popular family vlogs and gaming channels are mainly supported by minors. So the FTC and Youtube is going to say, its fine for a gaming channel to track viewers even when 75% of the viewers are kids, but the preschool channels you can't track anyone. Youtube's current system has no way to identify the age of the viewer. Once an account is logged-in, it stays logged in forever regardless of who is using it and you don't even need an account to watch Youtube. This is not COPPA compliance, it is COPPA avoidance.

morrisoc

Reaction score
I am still stuck by just how dumb this all is... Line up for one nightclub and get knocked back because they have a wiggles act playing so you move on to the next where it's a strip show and you can walk right in. What do they think this will solve. My answer. Nothing.

Reactions: Redterrors

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
The original legislative intent of COPP A was to put parents in control of protecting their children's personal information online and still "preserve[ ] the interactivity of children's experience on the Internet .... "2 By holding creators strictly liable, the FTC is removing parents from the process, when originally COPPA was about getting parents' consent. With an even further stray from legislative intent, the FTC is using COPP A to protect children from the decision 81 % of parents are making, to knowingly let their young children watch YouTube. 3 This strongly suggests that parents are not significantly concerned about the privacy issues the FTC is trying to prevent. 4 Parents are even helping their young children get around age gates. 5 This suggests that parents want to preserve the interactivity of children's experience on the internet, despite terms of service requirements from social media sites prompted by government regulation. While the FTC may feel that parents do not understand the harms of personalized ads, COPPA was never intended to allow five unelected decision-makers to protect children from their parents' decisions regarding content and advertising. For those parents who are concerned that personalized ads on YouTube violate their children's privacy, the free Y ouTube Kids app is available. Most parents prefer to use Y ouTube Main because of its additional features and fewer barriers. Creators should not be punished when parents choose to let their kids use YouTube Main instead ofYouTube Kids, and that is exactly what this new enforcement is doing. This expansion of regulation provides little protection for children and causes more harm. The FTC knows that targeting creators will cause quality family-friendly content on YouTube to shrink, while more mature content grows - yet kids will still be watching. 6 The FTC is even considering broadening the definition of "child-directed" to include "child-attractive," which would only exacerbate this problem. I agree with Commissioner Phillips when he said: "Just because we are talking about privacy- or kids - more regulation is not necessarily better, including for kids."7 While large corporations will survive these changes, small business creators face terminating employees, changing their business model, or shutting down production altogether. These regulations will particularly hurt young underserved audiences who participate in YouTube communities on topics like special needs, faith, and minority groups. Limiting quality free content for kids also expands the digital divide. Creators who were making great content on free ad-supported platforms are now turning to make content on subscription-based platforms, like Netflix and Amazon Prime. More paywalls on quality family-friendly content leaves children from low-income families watching the "dessert of crap"8 that will be left on YouTube if the FTC overregulates this space. Turning off personalized ads on kids' content also encourages increased product placement and brand deals within kids' content. The FTC is regulating content when their enforcement punishes creators making "child-directed" content. Creators face turning off their primary revenue source from Y ouTube or face potential COPP A fines up to $42,530 per video. The regulation and definition of "child-directed" is vague. While parents may be concerned about inappropriate content on Y ouTube, it is not appropriate to use a privacy law like COPP A as a mechanism to regulate content. If the FTC is going to use COPP A to continue to regulate content, it needs to provide creators with enforcement clarity.

Sincerely, Doc Brown

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
I suppose most channels are just going to mark not for kids and see if they can pretend that nothing has changed.

Last edited:

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
This is just too funny. "Please watch this video with your own discretion."

Crown

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
This is just too funny. "Please watch this video with your own discretion."

*cringe*

Never mind all the legal disclaimers at the start, what about child labour laws? I mean that goes beyond "kids videos" - When your kids are acting, learning scripts etc and doing and saying what they're told by adults, that's an acting job. SMH

I wonder if they are also trying to pass it off as "educational" - Like how to speak English badly.

dv2000

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
I suppose most channels are just going to mark not for kids and see if they can pretend that nothing has changed.
then the algo shouldnt give them any kid traffic. There should be a system in place where if you dont mark for kids you get 0 kid traffic.