Massive drop in views on kid channels

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Just watch about two minutes starting at this point in the video. Exactly what we need to expose Youtube. You want the shareholders to demand change, get to discovery and it will come. Instead of firing off comments to the FTC, we need to be standing behind those that are willing to sue Youtube and get access to the dirty secrets of the algorithm. I am willing to spend money to help get to discovery even if it means losing in summary judgement. It is not about winning the lawsuit, it is about holding Youtube accountable for the power they have been given to control what the public sees. If we can expose the dirty secrets of the alogrithm and show to the stockholders of Alphabet that leadership has lied to us, we will all win with change in leadership.

This same AI that suppresses conservative content is being implemented for kids videos. It is so obvious. This group wants to fight Youtube more so on their perceived liberal politics. My position is just that Youtube is unfair and is willing to engage in deceptive trade practices in the name of ad revenue, the politics of it are meaningless to me. It is contrary to the terms of service and although they have updated their TOS to try to combat this argument, the fact remains that the new TOS is not retroactive in contract law.

Last edited:

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Off topic, but is anyone else's real time analytics screwing up a lot today ?? Makes me wonder when this is happening what they are doing ?

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score

Counsel for Commercial Free Childhood lets Youtube have it

"In its communications to content creators and the public about the changes it is adopting, YouTube has omitted key facts. Without parental consent, the operation of behavioral advertising on child-directed portions of YouTube was always illegal—and YouTube simply and brashly violated the law for years. The content creators’ concerns about YouTube’s sudden shift in its policies are understandable, but the object of their ire should not be the Rules protecting children’s privacy, but YouTube. Given that YouTube has also raised concerns about the viability of children’s content without the revenue from illegal tracking, perhaps it could consider taking less than 45% percent of the revenue that its content creators earn."

"It does not mandate the participation of any outside, independent auditors. And it does not hold any of Google’s or YouTube’s senior executives personally liable for the extensive COPPA violations."

ianmacdon

I've Got It
Reaction score

Counsel for Commercial Free Childhood lets Youtube have it

"In its communications to content creators and the public about the changes it is adopting, YouTube has omitted key facts. Without parental consent, the operation of behavioral advertising on child-directed portions of YouTube was always illegal—and YouTube simply and brashly violated the law for years. The content creators’ concerns about YouTube’s sudden shift in its policies are understandable, but the object of their ire should not be the Rules protecting children’s privacy, but YouTube. Given that YouTube has also raised concerns about the viability of children’s content without the revenue from illegal tracking, perhaps it could consider taking less than 45% percent of the revenue that its content creators earn."

"It does not mandate the participation of any outside, independent auditors. And it does not hold any of Google’s or YouTube’s senior executives personally liable for the extensive COPPA violations."
Yeah, that's it and the truth in a nutshell.. maybe if they compensated us with a lot more of of the take as payback for getting us hooked on this and now getting caught while they made billions. AND WASTED billions ..what happened to youtube " originals' anyone watch them..how many millions tossed away

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Given that YouTube has also raised concerns about the viability of children’s content without the revenue from illegal tracking, perhaps it could consider taking less than 45% percent of the revenue that its content creators earn."
If they slant the revenue model toward kids, Jake Paul will be playing with Barbies. Not going to happen. Solid burn though CCFC. Would love that money to compensate for the disappearance of our traffic.

ilikeswords64

Reaction score
Same old garbage. Please everyone get in there and dislike + like the logical comments so that they bubble up to the top. There's a lot of uneducated people watching this and commenting thinking that YouTube is somehow great and that they've listened to the users.

Reactions: moshi

Redterrors

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
The problem with this whole interpretation is that we are trying to analyze the subjective views of a channel creator in regards to the targeted audience. If I truly believe that I am making videos that adults like to watch but in reality it is just kids, Youtube should not be able to track data on the viewer. The whole premise of this viewpoint is idiotic.

For instance, if a family vlogger thinks that adults like to watch their content, he or she can select not made for kids. In reality, it is mostly kids that watch the channel. Youtube gets to track the data from kids watching this channel because the operator doesn't truly know his or her audience or they just lied to continue making money.

If we are trying to protect the privacy of kids as intended in COPPA, why are we not trying to gain the consent from the parent? It is NOT the government's intent to parent for parents. Also, why would we not create an age gate to ensure that an actual adult is watching the content.

The bottom line is that Youtube knows that the majority of their watch time comes from children under 13 and if they want to continue to profit, they have to destroy content designed for under 13 and find a way to get kids to watch content made for a slightly older audience to continue to violate COPPA with government ignorance. In fact, Youtube has already done this with the algorithm change and their leadership knows they have. They are making a huge mistake by severing ties with many people that will have no choice but to fight this in the court system. You don't just rip a successful enterprise from someone without due process and not expect a huge fight.

It is one thing when a channel owner is embarrassed or knows that they have exploited the system in an unethical way. It is entirely different when you have honest channels that are getting screwed because Youtube violated the law. Youtube made billions and billions of dollars on kids content and Youtube became more popular with Kids than TV. Now Youtube thinks they can shut us all out.

Last edited:

anonymousssss

Reaction score
The problem with this whole interpretation is that we are trying to analyze the subjective views of a channel creator in regards to the targeted audience. If I truly believe that I am making videos that adults like to watch but in reality it is just kids, Youtube should not be able to track data on the viewer. The whole premise of this viewpoint is idiotic.

For instance, if a family vlogger thinks that adults like to watch their content, he or she can select not made for kids. In reality, it is mostly kids that watch the channel. Youtube gets to track the data from kids watching this channel because the operator doesn't truly know his or her audience or they just lied to continue making money.
I have to imagine there are checks and balances to avoid this exact scenario though. If a creator says, "My stuff is general audience!", but both YouTube and the FTC disagree, I highly doubt the creator has the liberty of getting the final word.

I also wonder how they intend to find these channels. I've seen several YouTubers who have spoken directly to the FTC and they've mentioned several times that they have no interest in 'doing sweeps'. So without actively searching for channels abusing the system, what system are they relying on in order to find child content that's not in compliance with COPPA? YouTubers reporting each other?

eric3316

Reaction score
We make videos on a specific toy that kids under 13 enjoy as well as teens and adults over 13. Not even sure what it means to Target a specific audience under 13 unless you are doing videos for little kids with nursery rhymes, colors, kiddie style cartoons, it little kid toys, etc. I guess it's easier if you are targeting maybe 6-8 year olds and younger. How does one determine that your audience should stop at 13 year olds? Our older toy videos were for a younger audience I guess and I would mark them as such but I think our newer stuff starts at the older range of kids and up.

YouTube can stop all this nonsense and have people just verify their age!

As for family vloggers, my younger child watches a few of them on the YouTube kids app so it would be strange for those channels to say we don't target kids but YouTube has been putting their videos on the YT kids app this whole time while so many other channels don't have a single video on that app.

As for tracking kids, with YouTube's resolution for this law they will still 100% be tracking my older child who is under 13 based on the channels he watches. For example Dude Perfect. They will track every child who watches that channel whether or not they are targeting kids and the list can go on and on and on.

Last edited: