Is it possible to "RUIN" your channel?

Buck

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I say this because I am scared I have done this to mine and I almost feel like I have done some kind of damage to my own channel and it just upsets me to know the hours and hours of my time have been fruitless due to my own actions both in the past and in the present. Let me breifly explain the dumb decisions I have made with this channel of mine:

- Deleted over 100 videos
- Make random content that varies from video to video
- Havent really established a constant "brand" so to speak
- Most of my thumbnails are rather rushed
- Don't really continueally ask people to subscribe to avoid being annoying.

Now thats what I percieve that I have done to crush my channel, why do I say this? Well here are the issues with my channel I have been suffering for about 6 months now:

- Monthly subs gone from 50-100 to 3-10 due to YouTube unsubbing unactive viewers
-My average video that I upload that isnt related to news or drama gets around 20-55 views
- My sub count has been stuck on the range of 1280-1295 for approximately 5 months now.

Is my channel beyond repair, is my content that awful? I just feel like I have completly destroyed my channel beyond repair, no matter what I do I feel like nobody will ever see me and my channel will not grow. I have had the channel since 2012 and started re-uplaoding in 2014 and since then I only have 1.2k subs. Is it possible to ruin a channel beyond repair?

Dribbling Excadrill

I've Got It
Reaction score
I say this because I am scared I have done this to mine and I almost feel like I have done some kind of damage to my own channel and it just upsets me to know the hours and hours of my time have been fruitless due to my own actions both in the past and in the present. Let me breifly explain the dumb decisions I have made with this channel of mine:

- Deleted over 100 videos
- Make random content that varies from video to video
- Havent really established a constant "brand" so to speak
- Most of my thumbnails are rather rushed
- Don't really continueally ask people to subscribe to avoid being annoying.

Now thats what I percieve that I have done to crush my channel, why do I say this? Well here are the issues with my channel I have been suffering for about 6 months now:

- Monthly subs gone from 50-100 to 3-10 due to YouTube unsubbing unactive viewers
-My average video that I upload that isnt related to news or drama gets around 20-55 views
- My sub count has been stuck on the range of 1280-1295 for approximately 5 months now.

Is my channel beyond repair, is my content that awful? I just feel like I have completly destroyed my channel beyond repair, no matter what I do I feel like nobody will ever see me and my channel will not grow. I have had the channel since 2012 and started re-uplaoding in 2014 and since then I only have 1.2k subs. Is it possible to ruin a channel beyond repair?
You won't ruin it out of repair. Just find an identity and stick to it for a while and start growing again before branching out

KatyAdelson

I Love YTtalk
Staff member
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
I've moved this to the strategy / technique advice forum. ^^

I measure the success of a channel by how well their most recent videos do, rather than how well past videos have done. If there's a channel with 5 million subscribers that gets 10k views per a new video, then I feel their channel is (currently) just as successful as someone with 20k subscribers that gets 10k views per video. I wouldn't say the person with 5 million subscribers has a ruined channel -- just that they need to imagine themselves as though their subscriber number doesn't mean what they think it means, and that somehow they've lost hold of what their subscribers want to watch.

Perhaps reevaluate your branding, pick a niche that really interests you, and run with it. I guess it's kind of like "starting over," but I think anyone can pick themselves up again. ^^

georgia grace

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
you've got a start that a lot of people on here are desperately trying to match! your channel is definitely not ruined, i'd say find a niche you're passionate about and stick to it for a while. keep posting in these forums and you'll get some active subscribers, and reading to learn new things. work on those things you think are flaws in your channel (you can't get those videos back, but branding and thumbnails can definitely be worked on). redirect your energy and growth will return :)

SnackSaloon

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I'm a bit mixed on this, I do think it's possible to ruin a channel in this way, but I also believe it's possible to have sort of 'rebirth' or complete change of content.

Buck

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Thanks so much for the advice guys, I think re-tuning the branding and direction from here on out is what I will do, I just need to think of a more solid direction. Respect all!

Reactions: SnackSaloon

sanitary103

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
why did you decide to delete tons of videos if I may ask?

as far as your channel being beyond repair, I don't believe that is the case. people are very forgiving and b/c information is at your disposal at a fast rate, as long as you keep improving, you can re-gain your momentum. it may take some time but it's possible.

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Maybe a change is needed for new subs?
A good example is Epic Meal Time who has over 7 million subs but only sees about 1% of them watching their uploads. Ive noticed that the sub count is actully going down and I guess soon to go under 7m?
Is it a dead channel? I dont think so 'yet'. I still enjoy watching the content as do many others. But I am sure Harley would prefer the growing numbers from the early days again.
Perhaps all channels have a ceiling and shelf life?