Votes: 5 71.4%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

ChaseAndFriends

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
So I NEVER use anything that could be considered "bait" in my thumbnails. Recently, however, I had it suggested to me by a fellow YouTuber. I tried it out and I did get more views than I normally do. I don't want to make this an ongoing thing, though. I feel guilty for some reason. I just need some opinions on if this is bad or not. By the way, the person in the thumbnail is shown in the video, if that changes your answer.

Attachments

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
As long as its not misleading then go for it. Doing everything you can to get views without compromising your principles and morals is the best way to approach it in my opinion.

Reactions: ChaseAndFriends

LeSkittle

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I often watch cs:go unboxings, and sometimes they put a knife symbol as a thumbnail. However in the video they don't get a knife. I find that very annoying. But if there's something intresting and you use that as a thumbnail to bait people to watch your videos it's perfectly fine in my opinion

notjamie

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Since you make Minecraft videos and most minecraft players/viewers are very young (like 8-16) I don't think a clickbait woman would attract 8 year olds unless they... you know..

iMSaiyan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
No brainer yo.. views don't matter if you don't get subs.

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't like them. Your thumbnail would prevent me from clicking your video if I was searching for how to become a ninja, but that's just me. To me, that thumbnail looks like it is going to be an advertisement rather than an instructional video with quality information.

Often when searching for videos, I'm looking at the thumbnail to give me a preview of what the video will look like to see if it is one I want to watch. If I'm looking for a video like that and I see a non-screenshot thumbnail, I'll just skip it and only return to it as a last resort if I couldn't find what I was looking for in another one.

When I'm not looking for something specific and just trying to find something entertaining to watch, something with huge, tilted letters and goofy expressions on the thumbnail is enough to turn me away because it just looks too dumb to me, even if the title of the video sounds entertaining or interesting. Sometimes I really, really want to watch it because I'm really curious what kind of video could possibly have such a stupid thumbnail, but I'll force myself to curb my curiosity because I don't want to reward it with a view.

The only time I don't mind thumbnails that obviously aren't a frame from the actual video are if it is a series or channel I already like and trust. But then it doesn't matter because I'd click on their video just based on the title.

Reactions: Redford1900

Hiroto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The bait thumbnail that really p**s people off are like just a picture of boobs or a**. But I think if is really related to what your actual content is and you personally are happy and proud about it you'll be fine!

Rita-Marie Hartford

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As you said it yourself you even feel guilty; the question is DO YOU LIKE IT?
I didn't even know if it's about any video game or anything like that?
Also, I would be looking for like screen shot of the video game or a
thumbnail with the gamer and the game or something. I am not
big into baiting my lovely people into just clicking to click.
The views, sure are great and all just think about it as I do.
Do they know what this video is about?

Flash Cake

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
Most big YouTubers use bait in some form. Not all bait has to be boobs in the thumbnail. If you look at Game Theory on YouTube, that is a prime example of bait you can use without anyone questioning it.