iPhone 6s as recording device

NickAguilla

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Hey guys,

Just wanted to share a trick with you guys about recording with you iPhone.
I'm using an iPhone 6s to record drums and I've achieved pretty decent results !
This post is mainly aimed at drummers !
So what I do with the iPhone is, I put a cloth on the bottom of the rim of the back of the bass drum,
and I sit my iPhone there. I've tried many variations of recording with an iPhone and have found this to be the best postion to record from. Not only does it make my kick drum stand out (kick drum being the most vital piece of the drum kit) but It also catches the sound from the other pieces of the kit pretty well.
Post-recording I use the WavePad editor to do some equalizing and probably add some filters here and there.
It's not a fantastic audio recording compared to miking up the whole kit, but when you factor in that it costs $0 (assuming you already own a phone), I'd say that's a damn decent sound to get the ball rolling.

I'm planning to invest in a zoom q3hd camera for audio recording soon.

Let me know what you guys think !

Last edited by a moderator:

GamingRack

GamingRack
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think if you can afford an iphone 6 you can probably afford a decent mic haha but I suppose this is pretty good for younger people who can't afford a microphone outside of birthdays and stuff.

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
Nice idea. Also, your channel link is broken. I'll check it out when its fixed :)

NickAguilla

Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@MattyGreen Hey bro, channel link fixed, didn't realise it was broken ! Thanks bro for the heads up !
@MitchellScott Valid point bro ! However, I'm sure there are tons of people who are just starting out on music covers and are unsure of whether to invest in equipment or not, on the other hand every kid has some form of smart phone nowadays, so this is a pretty viable option for start-ups in general !

Reactions: MattyGreen

sir.penguin

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
This is a pretty awesome idea, I have a friend who also does something like this. Its pretty cool

MattyGreen

Music and Mess...
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician
@MattyGreen Hey bro, channel link fixed, didn't realise it was broken ! Thanks bro for the heads up !
@MitchellScott Valid point bro ! However, I'm sure there are tons of people who are just starting out on music covers and are unsure of whether to invest in equipment or not, on the other hand every kid has some form of smart phone nowadays, so this is a pretty viable option for start-ups in general !
Awesome drumming by the way :)