I need some help with my DSLR camera!

You've got an entry level DSLR with a crop sensor. First off you'll need to understand a crop sensor will not get as shallow a depth of field as a full frame sensor will. Depth of Field is controlled via distance and aperture. For example one of the best lenses I always recommend is the Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art Lens. Its got an extremely wide aperture which is great for filming indoors and getting that shallow depth of field. The downsides to this lens is that it can hunt in low light situations and performs generally inconsistent with VF shooting. The biggest upside to the lens is that it is literally needle sharp when it hits focus properly and very well may be one of the best lenses made for crop sensor cameras. Tony Northrup and Jared Polin are great guys to follow if you would like to learn more about working with your camera and getting out of auto. In general if you have questions feel free to ask as I love to educate on this kind of stuff.

Um... I never changed anything. In my original post I have "wide aperture." I know what I'm talking about.

"@ mycatismyfriend You have the right camera for what you want. Cheap camera's have small sensors, DSLR's have bigger sensors. Big sensors are important when trying to get a blurry bg while the focal point (you) is sharp and in focus. You have to adjust your camera's aperture to get the effect you want. The effect is called: 'Shallow Depth of Field.' It requires a wide aperture starting at: f/2.8, and then: f/5.0, f/5.6, f/8.0, and so on. Also, the focal length of your lens plays a part. When I was in college, I took a photography class and my professor said that the best thing to do when trying to understand your camera's settings is to read the manual. There should be a section explaining how to adjust your aperture."

This is very, very helpful. Thank you!

It depends more on the lens you use, sometimes you won't be able to get a great Depth of field with a kit lens.

It depends more on the lens you use, sometimes you won't be able to get a great Depth of field with a kit lens.
Yes. I understand the lens is very important. However, right now I cannot afford a new one, and am basically just trying to get the best performance out of my current one :)

I am so so so happy you posted this thread. I have the same Camera!

It wasn't until I sat down and read the instruction manual that I even got half way to where I wanted to be!

These comments are all so helpful!

Having said all that , I don't have time to watch tutorials which is a shame because I should learn how to do it properly rather than "winging" it.

So so thankful for this thread though❤️

Back