How do you just keep talking ?

doktornpro

Check me out for something refreshing !
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Musician, Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Animator, Other
I am gonna make this short and simple.

How do you keep talking on let's play videos and avoid silence ?

I am speaking about solo videos, not co-op

TheDutchTexan

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think it's pretty hard, you have to have the mindset for it. The personality. I jump cut in my vlogs so it seems that I talk a lot, but in reality there might be minutes in between.

Reactions: doktornpro

doktornpro

Reaction score
Channel Type
I think it's pretty hard, you have to have the mindset for it. The personality. I jump cut in my vlogs so it seems that I talk a lot, but in reality there might be minutes in between.
Yea, what i do is i notice that i dont have much to say so i start talking about random crap which turns into rambling xD and that isn't that great, i would cut with no problem if i could but i make let's plays so if i cut a certain part of the video i will cut out the story of the game and what is happening too.

RBG

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think it's impossible to avoid periods of silence. Best to just make sure that when you do talk, it's fun and interesting, then there's no need to worry about the silence.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't do Let's Plays any more, but when I did, I'd pay attention to little details in the game that might otherwise be overlooked. Commenting on things like the aesthetics, the layout, the graphics, the animations, the voice acting - all these things will help to fill the silence and also, people will appreciate watching your content a lot more because you're genuinely paying attention to and taking an interest in the game.

Reactions: RBG and doktornpro

phoenixblue

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian, Gamer, Commentator, Designer, Cartoonist, Animator
It takes practice. Most people have trouble thinking of things to say when they start out but it gets easier as time goes on. TheDutchTexan mentioned jump cuts. This is actually a very good technique because not only does it cut out the parts where you're not talking, it also cuts out the boring parts and keeps the video interesting and to-the-point.

Reactions: RBG and doktornpro

NerdByte

OFFICIAL YTtalk FIRST AIDER
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
For me it kinda comes naturally (without sounding big headed). I used to do drama where we would practice making up monologues in different characters - You could always try that when your home alone or in the shower so you dont get many wield looks xD

Ive also been on YT for a while now which various different channels but looking back at them - even if i could continuously speak, my early channels had very little personality and my voice just sounded boring. I find it always helps to extend your personality and almost become a cartoon character of yourself to make it a tad over the top but without going too far because it can just be seen as annoying.

If all else fails, dont be scared of jump cuts - used in the right way, they can sometimes be better than straight up talking.

Good Luck :D

V3XL0R

Personifying Music Since 1994
Reaction score
Channel Type
Musician, Animator
I am gonna make this short and simple.

How do you keep talking on let's play videos and avoid silence ?

I am speaking about solo videos, not co-op
When playing a game, there's no real way to avoid silence because it will happen; it's inevitable. However, the best ways to avoid as much silence as possible is by commenting on things in the game. You can also talk about your life or what's happening on your channel, etc. Talking about the game is going to be the most beneficial part of your let's plays, but you can think of other topics before going on and just talk about them throughout the game. Because essentially, though you're playing a game (depending if you show your face on camera), you're still vlogging technically. Just have fun with it and let it come naturally. It's the best to form your personality for these types of videos.

doktornpro

Reaction score
Channel Type
I think it's impossible to avoid periods of silence. Best to just make sure that when you do talk, it's fun and interesting, then there's no need to worry about the silence.
I don't do Let's Plays any more, but when I did, I'd pay attention to little details in the game that might otherwise be overlooked. Commenting on things like the aesthetics, the layout, the graphics, the animations, the voice acting - all these things will help to fill the silence and also, people will appreciate watching your content a lot more because you're genuinely paying attention to and taking an interest in the game.
It takes practice. Most people have trouble thinking of things to say when they start out but it gets easier as time goes on. TheDutchTexan mentioned jump cuts. This is actually a very good technique because not only does it cut out the parts where you're not talking, it also cuts out the boring parts and keeps the video interesting and to-the-point.
For me it kinda comes naturally (without sounding big headed). I used to do drama where we would practice making up monologues in different characters - You could always try that when your home alone or in the shower so you dont get many wield looks xD

Ive also been on YT for a while now which various different channels but looking back at them - even if i could continuously speak, my early channels had very little personality and my voice just sounded boring. I find it always helps to extend your personality and almost become a cartoon character of yourself to make it a tad over the top but without going too far because it can just be seen as annoying.

If all else fails, dont be scared of jump cuts - used in the right way, they can sometimes be better than straight up talking.

Good Luck :D
When playing a game, there's no real way to avoid silence because it will happen; it's inevitable. However, the best ways to avoid as much silence as possible is by commenting on things in the game. You can also talk about your life or what's happening on your channel, etc. Talking about the game is going to be the most beneficial part of your let's plays, but you can think of other topics before going on and just talk about them throughout the game. Because essentially, though you're playing a game (depending if you show your face on camera), you're still vlogging technically. Just have fun with it and let it come naturally. It's the best to form your personality for these types of videos.
A big Thank You, to everyone. Some of the ideas were good and i really think they will help out ! I had another idea, what if i wrote down on a piece of paper some topics to speak about ? like maybe stuff about the game or perhaps something just interesting that happened somewhere, and when there is an awkward silence i can just look at the paper with the topics and start talking about one of them.

darkstarmedia

Words are great.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't see why you can't do that! It's not like your audience would need to know if you were using a rough guide.