How do you find the time to YouTube?

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
Hello all,

I started my channel a while ago and due to lack of motivation and lack of time I had to stop, now I'm trying to get back into it and I'm definitely more motivated and I thought I had more time but life just seems to get in the way! I'd love to be a fulltime youtuber but unfortunately I can't afford that right now... maybe I am budgeting my time wrong or not planning enough, but does anyone have tips for finding the time to plan videos, film videos and edit? Seems like a lot for one person!

The Bomber Brigade

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
For me I just do it when I can. I'm just a student at this point in life but it's still very hard to find time to do anything related to YouTube. I normally do planning randomly in all honesty. If i'm in class I'll think about what I can record. I do gaming videos so It's easy to just take half an hour or so to record something. But I would say just use any spare time you have to do stuff for your channel. Also try to make a schedule and see if you have any down time to work on your channel.

Reactions: Merlina Rodas

JesusGreen

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Guru
I started using an app/program called "Todoist". It's basically todo list software that lets you set up various useful things like recurring tasks that happen every day etc. I plug all my daily/weekly/monthly/yearly routines into that. Every day before I go to sleep I input any tasks I need to get done the next day (like recording, editing, planning new videos, making thumbnails, replying to emails or comments, etc).

Before I started using it I had the exact same amount of time to dedicate, and yet I still found it hard just to keep up with my 2 a week video schedule. Now I'm releasing videos 7 days a week and being productive every day (not just on my channel but also with exercise, meditation, etc) until around about an hour or two before I go to sleep.

Now in my case I'm dedicating full time to YouTube - but even if you only have say 2-3 hours a day to dedicate to it, or less, using a todo list app of some sort will help massively. It's usually not a case of us not having time, it's more a case of us not having budgeted the time correctly so we end up leaving things like YouTube for when we no longer have time. If you have a todo list reminding you: Okay I have 3 videos to record today, and one to get edited and uploaded - then you can work on that right away, get it out of the way, and then worry about other things afterwards.

I did say here before that I'd make a thread about how I'm managing my time with Todoist, so I'll try get on that some time soon.

Shendijiro

(┛ಠ_ಠ)┛彡┻━┻
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer, Commentator, Reviewer, Designer, Animator, Other
I think most of us wish they could do youtube full time... I am trying to record every chance I get when I am either off work early or when my partner is a work since when we are both not working i like to pay attention to them and not be distracted with recording or something like that

Merlina Rodas

I've Got It
Reaction score
I started using an app/program called "Todoist". It's basically todo list software that lets you set up various useful things like recurring tasks that happen every day etc. I plug all my daily/weekly/monthly/yearly routines into that. Every day before I go to sleep I input any tasks I need to get done the next day (like recording, editing, planning new videos, making thumbnails, replying to emails or comments, etc).

Before I started using it I had the exact same amount of time to dedicate, and yet I still found it hard just to keep up with my 2 a week video schedule. Now I'm releasing videos 7 days a week and being productive every day (not just on my channel but also with exercise, meditation, etc) until around about an hour or two before I go to sleep.

Now in my case I'm dedicating full time to YouTube - but even if you only have say 2-3 hours a day to dedicate to it, or less, using a todo list app of some sort will help massively. It's usually not a case of us not having time, it's more a case of us not having budgeted the time correctly so we end up leaving things like YouTube for when we no longer have time. If you have a todo list reminding you: Okay I have 3 videos to record today, and one to get edited and uploaded - then you can work on that right away, get it out of the way, and then worry about other things afterwards.

I did say here before that I'd make a thread about how I'm managing my time with Todoist, so I'll try get on that some time soon.
Nice! i'll definitely look into this program, hopefully it will help me get on track

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi, I work 9-6 every day, and run a business on the side and I still make time to post at least twice if not 3 times a week...it annoys the f**k out of my boyfriend but hey. Anyway, my suggestion would be to record 2-3 videos over the weekend and then spread them out with the "Schedule Upload" feature on YouTube. I usually record all of my videos on Saturday/Sunday and then have them upload throughout the week! It's a wonderful thing.

Boseen

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
The thing is I don't find the time. I should, but the last couple of weeks were kind of hectic that I didn't took the time to plan this in

EVO

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I tend to knock out a video or 3 in the eve after my wife and children have gone to bed. Or sometimes on a Sunday afternoon when im chilling.

adams eats

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If I didn't have a schedule I think I'd lose time in other things. A schedule keeps me on track and focused on what I need to to to get my videos finished.