How do I create great Titles and Thumbnails

NatalieBrownSings

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hi YTTalkers!

I have been doing some reading that says Titles and Thumbnails are super important to captivate a viewer to click and view.

Now, I know a lot of people use click bait such as a slightly misleading title or the gratuitous booby picture or sexy image for click bait. I have a feeling that this kind of thing tends to back fire though as when people who want boobs or to read the topic in the title click and the content is different they get p****d off (I know I do!).

So what, in your experience, are the Top 3 ways to create engaging Titles and Thumbnails?

For titles do you stick to exactly the topic of your vlog? How do you come up with catchy keyword phrasing?

For thumbnail pictures do you use something directly from your footage or do you take another image? Is bright, bold text the way to go? How do you make Thumbnails really stand out and click worthy?

Looking forward to any insight you may have!

Take care,
Nat

Patrick Mullaney

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Honesty and brand recognition/familiarity is the key to effect thumbnails and titles.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyVlogsTV

Zachary Thomas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer
As far as titles I usually use clever wording to try and get people to click. Not neccesarilly misleading, just worded differently to seem more appealing.

Thumbnails I create in GIMP and just take a snap of my video or just stand still in a pose on the video to get a good thumbnail. I use the same font a lot but something that's eye catching is really good to use

NatalieBrownSings

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
As far as titles I usually use clever wording to try and get people to click. Not neccesarilly misleading, just worded differently to seem more appealing.

Thumbnails I create in GIMP and just take a snap of my video or just stand still in a pose on the video to get a good thumbnail. I use the same font a lot but something that's eye catching is really good to use
What sort of methods do you use to write the titles? Do you type a bunch of keywords out and then try to make something click worthy?
As for the pics do you do anything outrageous or just grab a still from the video? For fonts what ones have worked best and what colors?
Thanks for sharing!

Patrick Mullaney

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
What sort of methods do you use to write the titles? Do you type a bunch of keywords out and then try to make something click worthy?
As for the pics do you do anything outrageous or just grab a still from the video? For fonts what ones have worked best and what colors?
Thanks for sharing!
Regardless of what fonts and colors you use; find at least three colors and two fonts that work really well, look nice, and are easy to read and are sized well. Then stick to them as a regular theme and you'll be on your way to success

NatalieBrownSings

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Regardless of what fonts and colors you use; find at least three colors and two fonts that work really well, look nice, and are easy to read and are sized well. Then stick to them as a regular theme and you'll be on your way to success
Awesome advice, thank you so much!

Zachary Thomas

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Musician, Vlogger, Gamer
Thanks for sharing!
I just make the title about the topic I'm doing. Like for one of my first vlogs my friend hit me a bunch for one of his videos so I put the title as "I GOT BEAT UP" simple things like that can make people click it.