Honest Constructive Criticism

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I started making YouTube videos a month ago. I just wanted to know what you guys liked about my channel/videos and what you feel like I can improve on. There are no wrong answers :) Thank you so much ! :biggrin:

Reactions: Rowan Oakley

CountingStars

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hiya, i had a quick look around and for me personally, your thumbnails didn't catch my attention. maybe you can go into fixing those up and i don't particularly like the camera angle >.< that you film when you're directly addressing the camera >.< because it feels like im being spoken down to. This might just be me but yeah.

>.< i hope something in this helps

Rowan Oakley

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Okay, I've just taken a look!

With your introductory video, the one with the different types of laugh, it doesn't give me a clear idea of what your channel's about, so I think maybe an introduction might be helpful. It's cute, but I didn't find it as funny as perhaps you intended it to be. I think that can be fixed, however: perhaps if you found examples of different people doing these different laughs, and gave us some context so that your watcher is in the same headspace as the laugher by the time the laugh happens, it'll feel more relatable (and it would mean a longer video). What I'm trying to say here is, aim for the watcher to be laughing along (or wanting to be sarcastic, or feeling awkward, or whatever) too!

I picked 'Black Girl Struggles' as a video to check out. I'm interested in this because I know what I'm getting into, and I'm white, so you're offering me a glimpse into a life I don't lead (and as a bonus, the first thing you mentioned was hair. Since I've got massive amounts of curly hair myself, I can relate! I'd say that it would help if your set-up was tweaked a little. Can you put something under your camera so it's higher, so we're looking at you from eye-level? The low angle isn't quite working for me. A bit of colour might help too - the video was basically black and white, so I'd love a bit of visual interest, even if it's just a potted plant in the corner (which might be tricky for you to arrange. Maybe if you can get a colourful wreath or decoration or something and hang it on the wall - would that be easier?) I'd also say that your speaking voice is very muted, so experiment with projecting more.

That said, I'm getting a pretty clear message about what your channel is about: it's cute, and it's full of short n' sweet nuggets of information. I think you're off to a good start!

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
@Rowan Oakley Thanks ! that's exactly what i'm trying to go for my channel theme! People make it seem like you have to pick something and only do videos about that. I find that boring I'm not a beauty vlogger or someone who does makeup so I don't find sticking to a one thing very fun. I'll change the angle ! i get what you're saying and make it more colorful honestly i picked that room cause it's the most quiet in my house lmao. Thanks so much !![DOUBLEPOST=1489871533,1489871423][/DOUBLEPOST]I
Hiya, i had a quick look around and for me personally, your thumbnails didn't catch my attention. maybe you can go into fixing those up and i don't particularly like the camera angle >.< that you film when you're directly addressing the camera >.< because it feels like im being spoken down to. This might just be me but yeah.

>.< i hope something in this helps
I personally think the same about your thumbnails and I'm going to fix the camera angle.[DOUBLEPOST=1489878993][/DOUBLEPOST]
Okay, I've just taken a look!

With your introductory video, the one with the different types of laugh, it doesn't give me a clear idea of what your channel's about, so I think maybe an introduction might be helpful. It's cute, but I didn't find it as funny as perhaps you intended it to be. I think that can be fixed, however: perhaps if you found examples of different people doing these different laughs, and gave us some context so that your watcher is in the same headspace as the laugher by the time the laugh happens, it'll feel more relatable (and it would mean a longer video). What I'm trying to say here is, aim for the watcher to be laughing along (or wanting to be sarcastic, or feeling awkward, or whatever) too!

I picked 'Black Girl Struggles' as a video to check out. I'm interested in this because I know what I'm getting into, and I'm white, so you're offering me a glimpse into a life I don't lead (and as a bonus, the first thing you mentioned was hair. Since I've got massive amounts of curly hair myself, I can relate! I'd say that it would help if your set-up was tweaked a little. Can you put something under your camera so it's higher, so we're looking at you from eye-level? The low angle isn't quite working for me. A bit of colour might help too - the video was basically black and white, so I'd love a bit of visual interest, even if it's just a potted plant in the corner (which might be tricky for you to arrange. Maybe if you can get a colourful wreath or decoration or something and hang it on the wall - would that be easier?) I'd also say that your speaking voice is very muted, so experiment with projecting more.

That said, I'm getting a pretty clear message about what your channel is about: it's cute, and it's full of short n' sweet nuggets of information. I think you're off to a good start!
OH and there isn't any context I don't what you're trying to say. It's just different types of laughs.

Brandon

VISUAL.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
One thing I've noticed is that your videos are very quiet, I think it would help a lot to add a bit of royalty free background music too! Nothing too overpowering, just a subtle background noise.

Reactions: CountingStars

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
One thing I've noticed is that your videos are very quiet, I think it would help a lot to add a bit of royalty free background music too! Nothing too overpowering, just a subtle background noise.
I have music in every video I just have it low lmao like a subtle background noise

Highfalutin' Low Carb

Loving YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can barely hear what you are saying. Definitely need more volume on your voice. It's almost inaudible. Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Reactions: Daisyah

Daisyah

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I can barely hear what you are saying. Definitely need more volume on your voice. It's almost inaudible. Otherwise, keep up the good work!
I'll definitely keep that in mind, I'm a loud person but I get quiet on camera lol