Has anyone experimented with YouTube Promotions?

Ghostnova

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Comedian, Gamer, Other
So I've dabbled with the promotion feature directly from YouTube a little and I gained some views but not really many subs. One video I featured got up to 6k views but 1 or 2 Subs, this cost me around 100 bucks to run this campaign. I'm wondering has anyone found success using this feature? If so on average how much did it cost for the whole campaign and was it worth it? I'm not really a fan of spamming my videos in random forums and websites so the idea of just running an ad campaign seems up my alley.

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
Havent done the YouTube promotions thing...
Not aware how it works but paying for that is a bit... counterproductive when you weight down the benefits to the losses.

Ghostnova

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Director, Comedian, Gamer, Other
paying for that is a bit... counterproductive when you weight down the benefits to the losses.
This is true, It didn't feel worth it after I had done it. At the time I thought all I needed was exposure and the quality was there. Kind of a rude awakening that proved I was indeed lacking in quality. Just curious if anyone had found success using this method, despite the price tag.

maddenchump

Reaction score
Never used it and not sure I would want to waste $ on a possibility of ppl watching and maybe subbing I rather rely on luck.

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So I've dabbled with the promotion feature directly from YouTube a little and I gained some views but not really many subs. One video I featured got up to 6k views but 1 or 2 Subs, this cost me around 100 bucks to run this campaign. I'm wondering has anyone found success using this feature? If so on average how much did it cost for the whole campaign and was it worth it? I'm not really a fan of spamming my videos in random forums and websites so the idea of just running an ad campaign seems up my alley.
We have used Adwords the last few months. It's an integral part of our business and marketing plans for the channel.
I set the CPC to 1 cent. It nothing hits, it can be increased to 2-3 cents, then scaled back in a few hours.
Success is a fluid concept to define - what do you mean by success?
To me it's successful if I set a $10 budget per video, I get 1000 views and 500 Earned Views, about 3-6 subs, and at least 30% retention at the 50% video point. That's a fantastic result, and I would expect the video to continue rising (many have).
Doing a one off ad won't accomplish much except bump the views on the one video. Your campaign needs to be part of an overall objective.
For example, you can allocate a $100 budget over 10 days to launch a new playlist with 4 videos.
You can also allocate $20/day for the weekend for your highest retention/highest view duration video to bump up your overall channels retention and get some traffic going to your best performing video in the expectation that after the campaign is over the algorithm will recognize the good work and continue promoting it. It does!
That's just a few examples, there are many more ways a campaign can be used.
Does it work?
Yes! Very well :)
Remember it's in Google's best interest to make your Adwords work for you and drive traffic. They make money, you make money, they make more money when you do more campaigns. Everyone wins.

KidsCorner

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
We have used Adwords the last few months. It's an integral part of our business and marketing plans for the channel.
I set the CPC to 1 cent. It nothing hits, it can be increased to 2-3 cents, then scaled back in a few hours.
Success is a fluid concept to define - what do you mean by success?
To me it's successful if I set a $10 budget per video, I get 1000 views and 500 Earned Views, about 3-6 subs, and at least 30% retention at the 50% video point. That's a fantastic result, and I would expect the video to continue rising (many have).
Doing a one off ad won't accomplish much except bump the views on the one video. Your campaign needs to be part of an overall objective.
For example, you can allocate a $100 budget over 10 days to launch a new playlist with 4 videos.
You can also allocate $20/day for the weekend for your highest retention/highest view duration video to bump up your overall channels retention and get some traffic going to your best performing video in the expectation that after the campaign is over the algorithm will recognize the good work and continue promoting it. It does!
That's just a few examples, there are many more ways a campaign can be used.
Does it work?
Yes! Very well :)
Remember it's in Google's best interest to make your Adwords work for you and drive traffic. They make money, you make money, they make more money when you do more campaigns. Everyone wins.
I was trying to find out yesterday how to promote a playlist but couldn't find a way to promote it. A quick Google search had no result either so thought it was not possible. How do you set this up?

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger

i was thinking of doing it - i mean 100 bucks might go a long way down the road if consistent with it. I just feel like I need loads of good content before I even consider that but the problem I am running into is, I am a gaming channel/vlogging channel not really a business or anything

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I was trying to find out yesterday how to promote a playlist but couldn't find a way to promote it. A quick Google search had no result either so thought it was not possible. How do you set this up?
You can't promote a playlist per se. What I do is create a campaign, then add each video in the playlist.
The good thing is all videos can share keywords and placements.
This is my campaign for the step2 roller coaster videos with our 5 videos from that playlist in there.

playlists.jpg

Reactions: KidsCorner

wchap001

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
You can't promote a playlist per se. What I do is create a campaign, then add each video in the playlist.
The good thing is all videos can share keywords and placements.
This is my campaign for the step2 roller coaster videos with our 5 videos from that playlist in there.

View attachment 37180

would you recommend ads for example gaming channels? i see you have some normal "non business videos in there" That is why I feel a bit paranoid about my videos being advertised since people will be like....why is a gaming/commentary/vlog videos being advertised" but dont know unless we try huh?

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
would you recommend ads for example gaming channels? i see you have some normal "non business videos in there" That is why I feel a bit paranoid about my videos being advertised since people will be like....why is a gaming/commentary/vlog videos being advertised" but dont know unless we try huh?
Ads are the quickest, cheapest, most effective way to get to the top of search and the top of suggested. Perhaps 95% of people will think 'what the heck why is this channel advertising?' Don't worry about them! Work your butt off to give the best content you can to the 5% who will click the ad and watch the video.
We usually get clickthroughs between 3-7%. I don't care about the ones who don't click, I pay nothing for them. They don't want to see my videos, it's their loss! You only pay for clicks, not for impressions.
Will people click game ads? I don't know, but it's so cheap to try - $10 for 1000 clicks and see what happens.