Getting views.. but from where?

PsySpy Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Alright, this isn't me complaining but I'm actually curious and trying to figure out what is going on with one of my videos.

I'm getting a decent amount of views one one of my more recent videos, but the thing is it's one of the few that I didn't advertise at all (except on twitter, which barely anyone follows me). I haven't seen that it's been re-tweeted or carried on anywhere else, at least to my knowledge. I looked into my analytics and it apparently appears in someone's 'Suggested/Recommended' after the video and it has pushed the view count up but the retention is rather low (about 4 minutes on average for a 40 minute video).

The thing is, I didn't do very good SEO on it and the description was kind of just slapped on there. I didn't do a call to action or anything (it hasn't been having any effect and I was rather eh about throwing the annotations on there this time). This was just put up right after the most recent 'superpurge' where a lot of people got suspended/banned/removed. So I'm trying to figure out if I hit a key in the algorithm somehow or if the game is picking up traction or what. I really don't know.

If anyone has any more detailed answers, I would be quite appreciative.

Commander Skull

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Gamer, Reviewer, Cartoonist, Animator
Sometimes its the magic of youtube and the random clicks :)

PsySpy Gaming

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I've also noticed that my 'popular videos' are out of order, it goes like 200, 130, 104, 77, 68, 62, 62, 77, 55, 90.. I'm like.. YouTube bad at math? Or maybe it'll only move when they actually appear on my analytics (which is like 3 days after they reach that point).

Elasmosaurus

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Other
Are you referring to your video Hidden Flame Challenge - Episode 3/Part 3 in your original post? The one with 90ish views? If so, I do not see anything strange there in terms of views. Part 1 and Part 2 have got 77 and 46 views which is also also well above average for your videos. So to me that just says that that topic or game or whatever is more popular, with more people interested, and so more people searching for it. Doesn't seem to weird to me and certainly doesn't seem like a mystery.

Reactions: xingcat

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I would wait and check your analytics for that particular video. I'll suspect there's a search term that's called your video up, or it's being seen directly after one of the videos in your own series.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I've also noticed that my 'popular videos' are out of order, it goes like 200, 130, 104, 77, 68, 62, 62, 77, 55, 90.. I'm like.. YouTube bad at math? Or maybe it'll only move when they actually appear on my analytics (which is like 3 days after they reach that point).
That gets sorted a few days later. Google sometimes takes away clicks, like you watching your own videos or not knowing where one comes from until it's been confirmed as a quality view, so it will Steele in order at some point

Hiroto

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Maybe you had like certain tag or title that people liked? I dont now but I mean advertising only gets you so far so yea gj!

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
You can find out really quickly where your view spikes are coming from:
It seems you're ranked #1 for "Hidden Flame Challenge". This rank will drive any search traffic to you.
Your video is in 'suggested for PrettyGrumpyBear, a channel with 400k+ subs. You're in position 18 for me. That's driving the other part of your traffic.
Yes it seems you hit a key in the 'suggested' part of the algo. Why that might have happened would need much more detailed analysis of your channel's analytics. But anyways, since the algo has made an association between you and the other channel, this is an excellent opportunity to target PrettyGrumpyBear with more videos.
Hope that helps!!

capture.jpg

Reactions: PsySpy Gaming

NoDragonsPlz

NoDragonsPlz
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Hey! As someone who sometimes recieves random view spikes, I can tell you the reasons why this might be happening.
A: You're having good luck with the SEO and as such, people are finding your video easier.
B: Someone else shared it on a social media platform, and it received relatively good feedback so more people want to watch it.
C: It could just be that what you are doing now is really popular and as such you are getting good clicks based on that.

Reactions: PsySpy Gaming

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Alright, this isn't me complaining but I'm actually curious and trying to figure out what is going on with one of my videos.

I'm getting a decent amount of views one one of my more recent videos, but the thing is it's one of the few that I didn't advertise at all (except on twitter, which barely anyone follows me). I haven't seen that it's been re-tweeted or carried on anywhere else, at least to my knowledge. I looked into my analytics and it apparently appears in someone's 'Suggested/Recommended' after the video and it has pushed the view count up but the retention is rather low (about 4 minutes on average for a 40 minute video).

The thing is, I didn't do very good SEO on it and the description was kind of just slapped on there. I didn't do a call to action or anything (it hasn't been having any effect and I was rather eh about throwing the annotations on there this time). This was just put up right after the most recent 'superpurge' where a lot of people got suspended/banned/removed. So I'm trying to figure out if I hit a key in the algorithm somehow or if the game is picking up traction or what. I really don't know.

If anyone has any more detailed answers, I would be quite appreciative.
you not alone I am with a MCN which a big mistake on my part