Gaming Channel Oversaturation? How does one make there channel stand out?

smouchysmouch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Hi all, I have just recently starting youtubing and I have noticed in all the forums and reddits I've been looking in, there is a lot of gamming channels. I use to do gaming videos, but now I have decided to stop making them because I can't think of ways to make them stand out to the heap of others out there. So my question is to you all, how does one make there gaming channel stand out? I am really curious to what your thoughts are...

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's pretty hard to stand out especially in the gaming scene. Even though a lot of different types of videos have been made.

Let's Plays, Game Reviews, Showcases.

Each one has so many "stigmas" which not many try to ignore. They aren't THAT bad but some might consider them stale.

That does not mean not use them but if you want to stand out i'll put down the ones that I think are overdone.

Let's Plays:
1. Screaming into the mic. Never funny in my opinion. You will have a children fanbase if you even get one.

2. Main games only. If you only play CoD or Minecraft after a while you are going to get burnt or your subs are going to get burnt.
Then when you try to do a different game it might be so different nobody will stick around. Always be diverse.

3.Proper Lighting and Audio Quality - I can't tell you how many PFFFPTTTT noises I hear from people slobbering over their mic or that it's to quiet.
The same can be said with the "Unregistered HyperCam" or "FRAPS" on their recordings. It's super annoying and degrades the video.

Game Reviews:
1. Using Mario Kart Music - This can't be all that bad but EVERY game reviewer uses this. Nobody really branches out with their music or tries to fit it in their video in some way.
I sometimes can't add the right jams to what i'm talking about since it doesn't meld well but for some I find the perfect thing.
Just stamping on some random song is so lazy.
That's just me I think

2. Yellow text in the middle - Jontron really started this and it's once again NOT that bad but some people are getting bored of that.

3. Opacity/Motion blends - I am a culprit of this one. Fade ins/outs and blurs are fine but over excess can hinder your channel.

Showcases:

1. Not much on these besides keeping your videos high HIGH quality.

Things like Cinematech used to be huge because it was high quality for the time and combined with the proper music people usually liked them.

Hope that helps man

Reactions: Lightsen and Anjim

Loki Doki

Gaming Nerd and SEO Guru
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
i am sure people will say that you should be you. whether thats funny. salty. intelligent. crazy etc etc and thats all well and good. but at the end of the day there are still thousands of funny, salty, intelligent and crazy gaming channels. a gaming channel is a long hard grind. by its very nature they are not really viral videos, its about slow steady growth

the piece of advice i would give to a new gaming channel is to find the right niche. find something that not completely saturated. or jump on the latest niche games oe patch details or guides. the best thing to do is find a niche within a niche. you can't compete with all these channels making videos about the latest game. say the soon to be released Battlefield 1 game. you will never rank high in that. so go more niche. how about making more specific videos like a scout weapons guide or a how to find the best crater to hide in guide. something thats less searched for but has lots less competition

using these methods i am pretty ahead of the curve with my channel. over 2.1k subs and over 350k views in 8 months

Reactions: RiffRaff

KrakenSoup

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Well, a Niche I guess but that is far easier said then done.

I've got some ideas in the pipes that are more 'niche' but in the mean time I just create content that I enjoy making. For the amount of views and subs I get I perhaps do put too much time into this but I care too much for the quality of the videos. As for growth, I do find talking to people about your content helps, its slow and tends to be one person at a time but they're loyal at least. Truth be told in my opinion, unless you go viral, be if through luck or talent, I think it just takes a very long time on YT grow as a gaming channel.

Video Game Knight

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I am a gaming channel and in all honesty I am probably still too small to give too many opinions about standing out but from the channels I have seen get loyal subscriber bases quickly one thing stands out. They play niche games. Of the channels I interact with the ones who grow the fastest are the ones who play either indie games or games that aren't overly trending right now. I know and talk to three channels who only do stuff like Overwatch, CoD, etc and they aren't growing at all because everyone else is doing them. That isn't the only reason they aren't growing, they also don't have the editing skills other YouTubers have or the recording skills but those game choices probably aren't helping. The ones who are growing (albeit slowly, as you said the market is over-saturated) are doing so because they find interesting games that not everyone else is doing and they are really fun to watch because of that.

Getting a gimmick doesn't hurt either. I have a little gimmicky thing in all my videos and while it may not drag subscribers in in droves it does make people take a second glance at my stuff and the longer they stay they can see more of my video and perhaps be more inclined to subscribe if they like it.

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
I do games on my channel but also other stuff, so maybe that's one way to go about it

MyTrIx

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
The most important thing is not to stand out... It's to have fun making your videos... If you don't like that, just don't do it... Becoming a known youtuber is one of the hardest thing you can try to do... And if you do this for the bad reason, a.k.a money, glory, fame, well... You won't last long! But if you do it because you love this, well, you will be able to grow slowly and one day you will turn around to see all the road you have done and will be proud about it! Even more if all your fanbase is a real one, not a false one you acquired via sub4sub or that kind of gimmick...

Reactions: smouchysmouch

Anjim

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
It's pretty hard to stand out especially in the gaming scene. Even though a lot of different types of videos have been made.

Let's Plays, Game Reviews, Showcases.

Each one has so many "stigmas" which not many try to ignore. They aren't THAT bad but some might consider them stale.

That does not mean not use them but if you want to stand out i'll put down the ones that I think are overdone.

Let's Plays:
1. Screaming into the mic. Never funny in my opinion. You will have a children fanbase if you even get one.

2. Main games only. If you only play CoD or Minecraft after a while you are going to get burnt or your subs are going to get burnt.
Then when you try to do a different game it might be so different nobody will stick around. Always be diverse.

3.Proper Lighting and Audio Quality - I can't tell you how many PFFFPTTTT noises I hear from people slobbering over their mic or that it's to quiet.
The same can be said with the "Unregistered HyperCam" or "FRAPS" on their recordings. It's super annoying and degrades the video.

Game Reviews:
1. Using Mario Kart Music - This can't be all that bad but EVERY game reviewer uses this. Nobody really branches out with their music or tries to fit it in their video in some way.
I sometimes can't add the right jams to what i'm talking about since it doesn't meld well but for some I find the perfect thing.
Just stamping on some random song is so lazy.
That's just me I think

2. Yellow text in the middle - Jontron really started this and it's once again NOT that bad but some people are getting bored of that.

3. Opacity/Motion blends - I am a culprit of this one. Fade ins/outs and blurs are fine but over excess can hinder your channel.

Showcases:

1. Not much on these besides keeping your videos high HIGH quality.

Things like Cinematech used to be huge because it was high quality for the time and combined with the proper music people usually liked them.

Hope that helps man
This is so true

smouchysmouch

Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Thankyou everyone for your responses, you have put my faith back into making gaming videos again. You all have some really good tips, I think in the end I agree with what some of you said, especially what MyTrix said, just make videos you enjoy. Keeping a close eye on the quality of the videos too of course, you should be doing it for the love of making good content, not because you wanna become rich/famous. Thanks again for the responses, keep it coming!

Reactions: MyTrIx

MyTrIx

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Really happy my message gave you back a little bit of faith into making videos mate! :) Anytime you have difficulties, worries or doubt, don't hesitate to come speak with us, everyone here are in the same boat and just want everyone to achieve their goals! :) And speaking of goals, I think this a good way to keep you motivated too, give yourself realistic goals to achieve!

Reactions: smouchysmouch