Frustrated with Getting Videos Ranked...

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Is anyone else frustrated with getting their videos ranked in searches? I swear I spend so much time trying to make the best titles, tags, and descriptions to allow my videos to be found and it's still difficult to get ranked high. Very discouraging when you're trying to make the best stuff you can.

I'm not perfect at it by any means, but I see other videos with higher rankings and worse titles, descriptions, tags than I have ranked WAY higher. I use TubeBuddy and try to find the best tags and titles possible, even borrowing ideas from top ranked videos. When I try to adjust my title/tags/description to rank a video higher, I feel like YouTube penalizes me and my videos get ranked even lower, despite better keywords.

Is this an unfortunate reality if you don't have enough subscribers?! I know that if you have more "presence" on YouTube (more subs, views, etc) then you rank better. It's just really frustrating because I feel I have content that deserves more views. I have ideas for some REALLY great videos, requiring more editing and planning - more like short movies, but part of me is worried they will go largely unseen.

Sorry for the long post. Thanks for letting me vent a bit. I'd love any feedback or help in this area.

Reactions: Opals Jewels

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
It is frustrating but it looks like you have some videos with a few thousand views. That's more than some people. Make sure you triple tag. Have the keyword in title, description and tags. I have videos ranking next to million view video in the search and it comes from that

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
It is frustrating but it looks like you have some videos with a few thousand views. That's more than some people. Make sure you triple tag. Have the keyword in title, description and tags. I have videos ranking next to million view video in the search and it comes from that
I hear you, and thanks for the advice. I do that already but wonder if I'm missing something else/doing something wrong. And you're right, I do have several videos with a few thousand views...and i am very grateful for that. My personality is just to set big goals and figure things out quickly, so it's frustrating I feel like i'm not "doing" enough...ya know? All i know is i'm working to be better at it every day!

Gaijillionaire

I've got a yen for being in Japan!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter, Gamer, Reviewer, Other
Well I can't see your tags but I think everyone here knows it needs done. Maybe if you tinker with the titles it can get the video out in more searches. I'm in the same boat where I see videos with no SEO rank high and I just hate it.

Reactions: FRANKIEandEMILY

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I will actually disagree with you guys and say you don't have good titles, descriptions and tags. I don't know about the tags, I have no access to a computer with my TubeBuddy but seeing your titles and descriptions alone they don't do well when it comes to helping YouTube know what exactly your video is.

Your titles are click baity and don't do well in search. I understand that you see big YouTubers do it and think you should, but they have thousands and millions of viewers that will go to their video anyways and watch it in full bringing up their audience retention and watch minutes which will bring their video up in searches regardless. You don't have that luxury. You should treat your SEO as the most descriptive things on the planet about your video. INCREDIBLE MAGIC TRICK? Okay, with a toy? What toy? What's the name of the toy? You should have the name of toy in your title, let alone plastered in your description. You get 5000 characters in your description. You should fully use it.

I can't go into more because I'm on a smartphone and have no computer to give you more details. But no, I challenge you that you don't do a good job at it and say you should do more research on how to optimize your videos better.

ChrisLegend

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Yeah unfortunately the reality is that even though those guys don't optimise their SEO, the number of views they get just puts them up way higher than us in searches. All we can do is try!

Reactions: FRANKIEandEMILY

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
I will actually disagree with you guys and say you don't have good titles, descriptions and tags. I don't know about the tags, I have no access to a computer with my TubeBuddy but seeing your titles and descriptions alone they don't do well when it comes to helping YouTube know what exactly your video is.

Your titles are click baity and don't do well in search. I understand that you see big YouTubers do it and think you should, but they have thousands and millions of viewers that will go to their video anyways and watch it in full bringing up their audience retention and watch minutes which will bring their video up in searches regardless. You don't have that luxury. You should treat your SEO as the most descriptive things on the planet about your video. INCREDIBLE MAGIC TRICK? Okay, with a toy? What toy? What's the name of the toy? You should have the name of toy in your title, let alone plastered in your description. You get 5000 characters in your description. You should fully use it.

I can't go into more because I'm on a smartphone and have no computer to give you more details. But no, I challenge you that you don't do a good job at it and say you should do more research on how to optimize your videos better.
Great points, Chris. Several of my videos had extremely detailed titles (my toilet paper fort videos) but I've begun to experiment with shortening the title and focusing on the keywords / clickbait-y. I agree with you, when you're small you don't have that luxury, but I figured I would give it a shot to see what would work.

Reactions: Mitchell Bridgeman

Aviticus_Dragon

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
You've been doing YouTube for less than a year, you just need to keep at it.

Some of us have made videos that have taken hundreds of hours to make with very little views for the time spent. Not every channel blows up quickly. You've got to work at it every day and eventually growth will happen. Save your big ideas until you have a larger audience who will appreciate the time spent.

I majored in film, and I can do stuff that would blow people's minds. But at the end of the day, it's not worth the time spent as consistency is the key to channel growth.

So right now, just focus on getting videos out on a consistent basis. Because watch time is king for growth, and watch time is one of the biggest factors in YouTube ranking. Of course subscribers, views, comments, likes, dislikes, all play a factor. Tags really don't mean as much as people think.

FRANKIEandEMILY

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
You've been doing YouTube for less than a year, you just need to keep at it.

Some of us have made videos that have taken hundreds of hours to make with very little views for the time spent. Not every channel blows up quickly. You've got to work at it every day and eventually growth will happen. Save your big ideas until you have a larger audience who will appreciate the time spent.

I majored in film, and I can do stuff that would blow people's minds. But at the end of the day, it's not worth the time spent as consistency is the key to channel growth.

So right now, just focus on getting videos out on a consistent basis. Because watch time is king for growth, and watch time is one of the biggest factors in YouTube ranking. Of course subscribers, views, comments, likes, dislikes, all play a factor. Tags really don't mean as much as people think.
Great points, thank you for your advice.

Riddikore

Overseer of Earth Realm
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
As this thread has mostly turned into a personal channel review and discussion, it has been moved to Reviews & Channel Feedback section.

Otherwise, we advise you to check out some existing sections and topics dedicated to improving channel growth:

Tutorials, Tips, & Guides: http://yttalk.com/forums/youtube-tips-tutorials-help-guides.91/
Marketing & SEO: http://yttalk.com/forums/youtube-video-marketing-strategy-seo.88/
Articles & Resources: http://yttalk.com/forums/youtube-tutorials-articles-resources.10/