Equipment & software suggestions for 9 year old?

Sbrininger

Reaction score
My daughter turns 9 in July and what she wants "more than anything in the world" is to create videos and have her own YouTube channel. Currently she only has an iPad 2 and is using that to create videos with her friends. As you can imagine, the audio and video are pretty bad, so we are looking for suggestions on equipment to get her for her birthday. We have several family members who also want me to let them know what to get her, so I was thinking they could go in together to get her a few things, too.

First, I am not trying to make her the next EvanTube or anything, so I am not looking for top of the line stuff and am fine with used equipment. I just want to get her some things to help her get started, that are straightforward to use and can enhance her creativity. I'm not sure if we should get her a more recent iPad Mini to both film and edit videos? She is asking for a GoPro - is the video quality of a less expensive GoPro decent for non-action videos as well as "action scenes", or should she use something else when she is in her room talking to the camera? I know she will need some sort of tripod or stand for whatever she uses to record video. How important is a microphone at this beginning phase? Is iMovie on her iPad sufficient for editing or should I help her edit on my MacBook?

I appreciate any suggestions! Thank you!

Grass Daddy

Reaction score
Sony HandyCam. The GoPro will be shakey, the audio will be terrible, and you won't have an easy screen. So you'll have to buy accessories for it. A gymbal to stop the shake, an external mic to get real audio, and a screen to be able to see. I went that route and was frustrated every step of the way.

The HandyCam's can do 4k if that's your thing, but I use the HD version. It has 5.1 surround sound. It's extremely easy to use. You can flip the screen all different ways. And it has an internal gymbal built right in to steady the shot (a physical one, not digital, so you can see the lense move inside to counter the shake).

I have the CX675 and have had no issues with it.

{ link removed because we're not allowed to post helpful links here }

Reactions: Sbrininger