Entertaining commentary and personality

Oh see I kept doing public speaking type roles throughout my time in and in the civ world too.
I talk to people over the phone most of the time so I'm not worried about my image. So when I had to be in front of a group all looking at me I wasn't used to it anymore. I wasn't too bad, but noticeably out of my comfort zone

Yes, I believe 100% that those skills are self-taught.

When I first started my YouTube channel I was slightly timid didnt really know what to talk about or say because I didnt really do much other than play games. After a while I got a job, interacted more and more with different people in situations and that lead me to have the ability to talk to the mic like I was talking to a person. Over time you will develop it but it until then all you can do is work on it.

I hate my voice and trying to get my charismatic funny nature out is hard, but im making progress. Hopefully it will become second nature to me.

I didn't do the smart thing and shoot multiple complete practice takes before recording my first few videos, and I really regret that.

That's because when you're alone, talking to nobody (or to a camera, but that's basically nobody), you seriously overestimate how much emotion you're putting into your voice. And it may depend on your recording apparatus, but many of recording devises seem to drain some energy and emotion out of your voice (in addition to you thinking you're putting more emotion in than you actually are).

Now that I've made quite a few videos, I've long-since learned that you have to over-animate yourself a bit. When you talk with others casually you're probably doing this already, but when you're trying to keep your thoughts on what you want to say and how and nobody is around you, chances are you're more monotonous than you imagine. Don't get crazy or anything, but it's better to really drive emphasis and stress words more than you think you should, because chances are it may still not sound emotive enough when you're finally editing it anyway, haha.

I think it can be even harder if you're doing face-cam ad-libbing, because you have to have your brain chug along and be ahead of you in terms of knowing what words your mouth is going to create. I've transitioned to using a script now, and it's a whole lot easier when you don't have to use your brain as much and can actually listen to yourself talk and analyze yourself as you go.

Back