Entertaining commentary and personality

Curious World

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reporter
It took me a while to pluck up the courage to do my own narration for my videos. I thought I'd hate the sound of my voice and editing the videos would drive me mad because I'd have to listen to my own southern English drawl over and over again. But after doing it for the first time, it wasn't so bad, but I do struggle to sound upbeat, which is an important part of narration, I think.

I'd like to do a face to camera type video, but I just don't think I have the personality for it or the enthusiastic communication skills to make it work. I also don't want to pretend to be a hyper happy YouTuber, because people will see right through it.

So, do you think these skills can be self taught, or is it just a case of some people have what it takes, and others don't?

Reactions: itsmeLori

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
If you discuss things you are passionate about, it comes through even if you aren't overly hyper. You just don't want to be mono-tone.

Everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, hates the sound of their own voice at first, sometimes they always do (but you get used to it). I would post in the review section and ask people for opinions there. They are constructive.

I still hate my voice, and people have literally told me (multiple people, this very phrase, like word for word, at separate times) that my voice is "buttery smooth" and "pleasant to listen to" and "easy to listen to."

I think my voice is crap =D

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
It took me a while to pluck up the courage to do my own narration for my videos. I thought I'd hate the sound of my voice and editing the videos would drive me mad because I'd have to listen to my own southern English drawl over and over again. But after doing it for the first time, it wasn't so bad, but I do struggle to sound upbeat, which is an important part of narration, I think.

I'd like to do a face to camera type video, but I just don't think I have the personality for it or the enthusiastic communication skills to make it work. I also don't want to pretend to be a hyper happy YouTuber, because people will see right through it.

So, do you think these skills can be self taught, or is it just a case of some people have what it takes, and others don't?
I think you can kind of teach yourself to a certain extent, but some people just have more charisma and energy when they talk. I know first hand because when I was in the Navy I was put in charge of divisional training and a few other roles where I had to talk in front of groups of people. One thing practicing can do is build up your confidence. The more I would do training, the more comfortable I felt talking in front of groups of people. After a while I actually began to enjoy it so I would throw more excitement and humor into my training to make it less dry and keep people paying attention. I think once you get the confidence your natural ability to add your personality will show itself. It's all about getting past your toughest critic; yourself. Once you get past that then you will be able to come out of your shell. I'd imagine talking on camera would be similar. The main thing I like about actually talking in front of groups is I can immediately see their reactions. On camera you don't really get that luxury, so that adds a different element.

Reactions: cadetKei

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I think you can kind of teach yourself to a certain extent, but some people just have more charisma and energy when they talk. I know first hand because when I was in the Navy I was put in charge of divisional training and a few other roles where I had to talk in front of groups of people. One thing practicing can do is build up your confidence. The more I would do training, the more comfortable I felt talking in front of groups of people. After a while I actually began to enjoy it so I would throw more excitement and humor into my training to make it less dry and keep people paying attention. I think once you get the confidence your natural ability to add your personality will show itself. It's all about getting past your toughest critic; yourself. Once you get past that then you will be able to come out of your shell. I'd imagine talking on camera would be similar. The main thing I like about actually talking in front of groups is I can immediately see their reactions. On camera you don't really get that luxury, so that adds a different element.

This is SO true. In the Army I delivered so many briefings it's just second nature for me to talk to crowds or on camera now.

itsmeLori

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Guru, Vlogger, Ranter, Commentator, Reviewer

As a creator, I totally know how you feel. As a viewer, I will say that I don't think it's universal that people like hyper/upbeat Youtube personalities. When someone IS genuinely upbeat, I do enjoy watching them. But I appreciate authenticity more, and often that means a more subdued voice. But it really all depends on the person.

I think good narration can be self-taught, and with a lot of practice you'll eventually find the voice you feel most comfortable with. And what the pros tell me is to always push it and be a little bit extra--because what sounds weird and "fake" in your head may not play back as unnaturally as you imagine it would. The great part of being a creator thought is that you get unlimited takes, and you can try them all before you publish. I'm still in the midst of finding my own voice, but I think with every video I make I get closer and closer. :)

Reactions: Curious World

Munchito696

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This is SO true. In the Army I delivered so many briefings it's just second nature for me to talk to crowds or on camera now.
I haven't really spoke to groups since I got out like I did in the Navy, we did some training where I had to speak in front of about 15 strangers... I was a bit shy & nervous and didn't have that charisma, you kind of lose it if you don't use it I guess just like anything else.

Reactions: WeiseGamer

WeiseGamer

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I haven't really spoke to groups since I got out like I did in the Navy, we did some training where I had to speak in front of about 15 strangers... I was a bit shy & nervous and didn't have that charisma, you kind of lose it if you don't use it I guess just like anything else.
Oh see I kept doing public speaking type roles throughout my time in and in the civ world too.

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think everyone hates their own voice/visage when they first start out, but you definitely will loosen up and learn your own way around. I know there's a real hyped-up vibe from many YouTubers, but that isn't all of them. (Maybe just the really popular ones, LOL.) I think that there isn't only one way to approach making good content, or any one approach to being engaging, so give it a shot!

cadetKei

Hakuna your tatas.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Ranter
You definitly get used to hearing yourself talk on camera, because I HATED my voice when I first heard it. My accent seemed pretty heavy and I didn't like my tone at all. But some people have said to me that they actually like my voice, so I got a bit of a confidence boost from that :D And in general, you develop your own personality over time.
Even though I started YouTube fairly recently, I noticed how talking in front of the camera wasn't so difficult anymore, as it was in the start. Mostly the stuff I filmed never got to editing, because I just felt like I wasn't being myself in front of the camera. Only recently I felt more free to show more of my personality and I hope that with time it will get even better.
So I suggest you just practice first - film a few takes, to get yourself used to being in front of the camera. You dont have to upload it, just do it for yourself :) And over the top, wacky personalities are overrated, because I mostly like people that are genuine when they speak.

GrgakGames

Phoenix Games Enthusiast (Please end my life)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I still hate my voice but meh

you do what you gotta do I guess