Doing what the gurus tell me to do, still very little growth!

I actually subscribed after checking out a couple of your videos to see if I could give any tips.

Personally, I like your videos. I'm not sure if anyone actually watched them before giving you advice, but whatever.

Sure, your channel art could use some cleaning up, I guess. SEOs and metadata and all that stuff.
I know that stuff is important, you know that stuff is important. I, personally, don't pay enough attention to it, but again, whatever.

I see some improvements that could be made that are much more content based.
Not so much the technical crap.

Here's my advice:
Do you write your pieces or are they improvised? Both are good but take different approaches.
(Improvised) You get to practice wit and have more freedom.
(Scripted) You get a cleaner, more fit execution.

Editing wise, there's also a couple things I'd consider improvements:
(Scripted vs Improvised)

- Sounds and Post Production techniques can improve a video pretty heavily.
For scripted things you'd have to actually consider them when you're started your next Minute Monday or Funny Friday.
For improvised you could just edit in sounds and effects while you edit the clip afterwards.​

- Eye Candy
For a scripted video, you could deliver the lines individually with short pauses in between. When you edit them together, your delivery will be prompt and viewer's attention is held.
For an improvised video you might prefer to leave the pauses to indicate that you may have been considering word choice. Regardless of reasoning, you're able to use your momentum and feeling for black and whites, zooms, clip cut-ins, etc.​

(Background Music)
Unless you are genuinely afraid that adding music to the background would detract from the importance of a statement you're trying to make, you should almost always find some sort of nice music for the background. Every good painting had a background, every good hero had a backstory.
Set the scene for your video. FRAME the video with your powers and make your content shine.
Remember, there are 5 senses to stimulate and we can only reach 2.

I actually subscribed after checking out a couple of your videos to see if I could give any tips.

Personally, I like your videos. I'm not sure if anyone actually watched them before giving you advice, but whatever.

Sure, your channel art could use some cleaning up, I guess. SEOs and metadata and all that stuff.
I know that stuff is important, you know that stuff is important. I, personally, don't pay enough attention to it, but again, whatever.

I see some improvements that could be made that are much more content based.
Not so much the technical crap.

Here's my advice:
Do you write your pieces or are they improvised? Both are good but take different approaches.
(Improvised) You get to practice wit and have more freedom.
(Scripted) You get a cleaner, more fit execution.

Editing wise, there's also a couple things I'd consider improvements:
(Scripted vs Improvised)

- Sounds and Post Production techniques can improve a video pretty heavily.
For scripted things you'd have to actually consider them when you're started your next Minute Monday or Funny Friday.
For improvised you could just edit in sounds and effects while you edit the clip afterwards.​

- Eye Candy
For a scripted video, you could deliver the lines individually with short pauses in between. When you edit them together, your delivery will be prompt and viewer's attention is held.
For an improvised video you might prefer to leave the pauses to indicate that you may have been considering word choice. Regardless of reasoning, you're able to use your momentum and feeling for black and whites, zooms, clip cut-ins, etc.​

(Background Music)
Unless you are genuinely afraid that adding music to the background would detract from the importance of a statement you're trying to make, you should almost always find some sort of nice music for the background. Every good painting had a background, every good hero had a backstory.
Set the scene for your video. FRAME the video with your powers and make your content shine.
Remember, there are 5 senses to stimulate and we can only reach 2.

Thanks so much for your reply and subscribing. As I am new to this, I enjoy getting feed back (of all kinds) to help me improve and grow. As of now, everything is all ad lib. There are some bullet points on "My Slant" videos. Something for me to definitely to think about.

Editing is a huge part and that I am learning on all the time. (slowly...lol) Please check out my thumbnail out for my next Funny Friday (#0030...May 11, 2017) as I tried something a little different. Would like your input on that if possible.

Cheers,
Scott

By the way you are welcome ( I forgot to post). I also wanted to point again than your love for golf could attract people that love golf .You should check for golf channels and see what they do and you might find your community. But if you are any good at it you can try to put tricks with glasses or faraway or like tricky spots or even vlog a course etc...

But I know you do not need a shout out or to pay. Rank videos that are related to your channel and it will grow. Youtube is not about quality the algorithm pushes videos that are bad with lots of dislikes just because they found how to trick the algorithm with SEO tricks ( I am talking about the awful elsa superheroes or bad baby videos that are pushed and get millions of views)

Roberto Blake 2 is going to have a livestream about what Youtube expects from creators. I will not be able to watch live but will definitely listen when it will be uploaded later.

I have watched several (100s) of videos from so called "You Tube gurus" and still have very little (very slow) following their so called advice. Has anyone else followed their advice and had slow to little growth? Or am I being impatient?

Be careful who you take advise from because I see a few not so successful YouTubers trying to tell you that experts don't know what they are talking about. I am not sure what "gurus" you have been listening to but there are absolutely some fundamentals to a successful channel. I could point out a handful of them after a 5 minute visit to your channel. I recommend Derral Eves, Nick Nimmin, Roberto Blake, Tim Schmoyer and others. People who bash these legitimate successful YouTubers are simply trying to make excuses and excuses dont grow your channel. I'd be happy to point out some things if you are interested[DOUBLEPOST=1494897879,1494897623][/DOUBLEPOST]
The gurus know everything we do I am finding out. So I'll just keep growing my way and have fun doing it. If it puts a smile on someone's face or makes someone's ponder what I have to say, Great. If not, maybe years from now someone will see my videos and have a laugh or thought!

Cheers,
Scott[DOUBLEPOST=1494127439,1494127394][/DOUBLEPOST]Starting to see that![DOUBLEPOST=1494127650][/DOUBLEPOST]

Thanks for your reply. I am starting to get a clearer picture of how this You Tube thingy is working. LOL. I will have to just keep producing more video that are fun for me and hopefully for others. Of course, if I grow...all the better.

Cheers
Scott

Relying on bad information from bitter people will not help your channel grow. Read what Jenna no manga wrote and follow that advice.

Be careful who you take advise from because I see a few not so successful YouTubers trying to tell you that experts don't know what they are talking about. I am not sure what "gurus" you have been listening to but there are absolutely some fundamentals to a successful channel. I could point out a handful of them after a 5 minute visit to your channel. I recommend Derral Eves, Nick Nimmin, Roberto Blake, Tim Schmoyer and others. People who bash these legitimate successful YouTubers are simply trying to make excuses and excuses dont grow your channel. I'd be happy to point out some things if you are interested[DOUBLEPOST=1494897879,1494897623][/DOUBLEPOST]

Relying on bad information from bitter people will not help your channel grow. Read what Jenna no manga wrote and follow that advice.

Hey Dan

Jenna no manga give some great advice and I am taking some of the advice offered. I am seeing some results in my analytics. Up to 26 subs which is a good start. I have been changing some stuff and learning as I go. I appreciate everyones feed back. It helps.

Cheers,
Scott

How old is your channel? You might just need to focus on creating lots of content before you start really seeing growth. YouTube is not an easy platform to master. Just be as engaging as you can with your audience, be consistent, and do your research. Make sure your videos are searchable.

How old is your channel? You might just need to focus on creating lots of content before you start really seeing growth. YouTube is not an easy platform to master. Just be as engaging as you can with your audience, be consistent, and do your research. Make sure your videos are searchable.

Thanks for your input Heather.

My channel is about 6 months old. I am stepping carefully but I think I will be added more content of various varieties to see what sticks. You tube is complex and competitive I'm finding out.

The channel is heading to more of a "my slant" on things from a senior (Yup I'm one of those....lol) point of view. Hopefully I will be posting three days a week soon as I am now posting Monday and Friday. Mondays are rants (I hate Mondays) and finish the week with a joke to start the weekend.

One thing is for sure I am having a blast learning and making these videos. I just hope more people find them, engage with them and enjoy them.

Cheers
Scott

Back