Does monetisation increase traffic?

will_mcdaniel

Reaction score
Channel Type
Director
Howdy,

I've never bothered monetising my videos as I'd probably earn less than a pound or dollar per video and I was always worried that preroll ads might turn people away from a smaller channel like mine.

However I've been reading a few articles that suggest YouTube might actually push monetised videos more in the 'recommended videos' tab and maybe even in search results. This would make sense, I suppose, as they're likely to push content they can actually make money on over any that they can't.

The thing is no one seems to have an experience of this. I was wondering if anyone here has noticed an increase of views once videos are monetised or is this just another in the long line of excuses I can use to distract from the fact that my content isn't any good, when I should actually be addressing my videos instead?

Cheers

Will

Kush Patel

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
They do push monetized videos. At least from what I've seen, but I wouldn't say there is any significant traffic increase due to monetization. There are way too many monetized videos to get your spotlight. But maybe you get lucky. Who knows?

Chris Raynerson

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
I say if you can monentize it, do it. Even if you won't get much from it, I believe those articles are correct in that they'll promote you more in search if you have those on.

Toast Gaming

YTtalk Mad
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I tested early on whether that made a difference in my viewership and did not notice any significant change. That was of course just my own experience so I can't say for certain, but based on what I've experienced it will not make any noticeable impact.