Do my videos need more editting?

Dutchie Abroad

Exploring the world one video at a time!
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
Hey everyone!
So I'm about 1,5 months in and this is the point that I start becoming more critical of my videos. Especially my sit-down-talk videos, because it is just me talking to a camera and I'm affraid people will get bored and click away. Now is my question: do my videos need more editting and if yes, what kind of things should I add? I already try to add titles and little comments where I can, though I feel like I'm getting lazy. If you look at my first two videos, they had a lot more pictures etc in them than my newer videos.

Second video (18-08-2017) :

Tenth video (17-09-2017) :

I think this is also partly me feeling bad about being able to edit these sit-down-talk videos so easily. I cut out all the unneeded parts, add some text and an endscreen and tadaaa, done. My vlogs need a lot more effort, since I need to sew together multiple clips with transitions and music.

So your opinions are highly appreciated and if you have some editting tips that would be fantastic!

Last edited by a moderator:

veronica33067

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey Dutchie,

I do like the idea of the photos. If possible, I think you should get shots of the different weird things. Not only images but actual scenes. Not sure how easy that would be. If not real scenes, maybe find some free videos that demonstrate those weird habits. Even as you mention how the people were rude sometimes to you. Show videos of people being rude. I hope I'm being clear. :unsure:

Hey everyone!
So I'm about 1,5 months in and this is the point that I start becoming more critical of my videos. Especially my sit-down-talk videos, because it is just me talking to a camera and I'm affraid people will get bored and click away. Now is my question: do my videos need more editting and if yes, what kind of things should I add? I already try to add titles and little comments where I can, though I feel like I'm getting lazy. If you look at my first two videos, they had a lot more pictures etc in them than my newer videos.

I think this is also partly me feeling bad about being able to edit these sit-down-talk videos so easily. I cut out all the unneeded parts, add some text and an endscreen and tadaaa, done. My vlogs need a lot more effort, since I need to sew together multiple clips with transitions and music.

So your opinions are highly appreciated and if you have some editting tips that would be fantastic!

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I do like the idea of the photos. If possible, I think you should get shots of the different weird things. Not only images but actual scenes. Not sure how easy that would be. If not real scenes, maybe find some free videos that demonstrate those weird habits. Even as you mention how the people were rude sometimes to you. Show videos of people being rude. I hope I'm being clear. :unsure:
Sorry for getting back to you so late. I'm not much of a photographer, so when I use photo's I usually get them from Google. I do get your idea, but it might be a bit hard to execute. I'm now trying to incorporate more visual effect and comment to my videos ;)

Samira

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone!

I watched your england video and I could imgine you can use pictures of the different cheeses you mentioned (zaking the pictures from google ) or adding poctures that fit to what your saying because I can imgine a viewer who is not that interested in the topic could jump off quickly (i liked the video because I like the topic)

Maybe using titles and I recently saw a video that suggested zooming in on jump cuts as to create movement into your videos (the video about that is on a channel called channel notes (video is called hoew to radically improve your youtube videos) i like her videos she does videos on how to improve your youtube channel :) )

veronica33067

I've Got It
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
No problem!

The pictures were a plus. I was only suggesting that you find relevant video clips. :)

Sorry for getting back to you so late. I'm not much of a photographer, so when I use photo's I usually get them from Google. I do get your idea, but it might be a bit hard to execute. I'm now trying to incorporate more visual effect and comment to my videos ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Samira

TYTD

If it's radioactive, Its on TYTD
Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
I actually watched a few of your videos after you posted in a thread I made they're very enjoyable! You have a good clear presentation and you keep your videos short and mostly to the point which is ideal really for the kind of videos your producing :)

I wouldn't say your videos needed more editing but one of the big things I did notice when watching your videos that I think would really help push your style up a bit more is to use some royalty free music in the background. having a quick browse through youtubes audio library will find something to just give your videos a bit of pep. It can be very subtle, but just something to to run under you while your talking will really help bump up the power of the animations you use in your video and also it'll set a tone with your audience that will only amplify what you have to say :)

The only other thing I could think of was you seem to have a reasonable set up for lighting yourself from the front but in shots where theres a bit of distance between you and you background it may be worth investing in a video light (Or a second video light) to light your background, it will help give you a bit more definition and make you stand out more from your backdrop while also allowing the colors of the walls or location really pop!

As I say the stuff your currently putting out is pretty solid stuff I look forward to seeing how your time in the UK develops :)

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
I actually watched a few of your videos after you posted in a thread I made they're very enjoyable! You have a good clear presentation and you keep your videos short and mostly to the point which is ideal really for the kind of videos your producing :)

As I say the stuff your currently putting out is pretty solid stuff I look forward to seeing how your time in the UK develops :)
Thank you for your kind words!

I wouldn't say your videos needed more editing but one of the big things I did notice when watching your videos that I think would really help push your style up a bit more is to use some royalty free music in the background. having a quick browse through youtubes audio library will find something to just give your videos a bit of pep. It can be very subtle, but just something to to run under you while your talking will really help bump up the power of the animations you use in your video and also it'll set a tone with your audience that will only amplify what you have to say :)

The only other thing I could think of was you seem to have a reasonable set up for lighting yourself from the front but in shots where theres a bit of distance between you and you background it may be worth investing in a video light (Or a second video light) to light your background, it will help give you a bit more definition and make you stand out more from your backdrop while also allowing the colors of the walls or location really pop!
Yeah, I had someone else suggest background music as well. I'll look inot it :) Haven't really used the YT audio library yet.

How do you use a background light? Because I sit on my bed, so I'm not really sure how I can set up a light behind me n.n" I did buy another lamp just yesterday, so I have some options to change/upgrade my lighting.

TYTD

Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Thank you for your kind words!

Yeah, I had someone else suggest background music as well. I'll look inot it :) Haven't really used the YT audio library yet.

How do you use a background light? Because I sit on my bed, so I'm not really sure how I can set up a light behind me n.n" I did buy another lamp just yesterday, so I have some options to change/upgrade my lighting.
No trouble at all :) happy to help where and if I can

the audio library's pretty straight forward you just type in a genre of music or even an emotion or speed of music and it'll bring you up a list. Most of them you can just download and use straight away though there are a few tracks that ask you pop a thank you credit either in the credits of your video or in the video description:

https://www.youtube.com/audiolibrary/music

As for the lighting it can be a real pain trying to get it right but the lighting in your bedroom for the front of you is pretty much fine, there are a couple of ways you can back light a shot, I found this diagram while looking at different styles that may help you a bit:

If you treat the fill lights in this picture as your "Front lighting" there fine...but maybe you could get a free standing light or something and have it just off to the right or left of your camera (As the background light here is shown) that way you dont have to worry about balancing lights on your bed and it shouldn't be too difficult to set up :)

Dutchie Abroad

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Channel Type
Vlogger
As for the lighting it can be a real pain trying to get it right but the lighting in your bedroom for the front of you is pretty much fine, there are a couple of ways you can back light a shot, I found this diagram while looking at different styles that may help you a bit:

If you treat the fill lights in this picture as your "Front lighting" there fine...but maybe you could get a free standing light or something and have it just off to the right or left of your camera (As the background light here is shown) that way you dont have to worry about balancing lights on your bed and it shouldn't be too difficult to set up :)
Oh, wow, this is really helpful! I don't have a ringlight, but I indeed have two light set up on either side of the camera. Now that I have a third light, I'll try and see if I can use it as background light. Thanks so much for this!

Reactions: TYTD

TYTD

Reaction score
Website
tytdreviews.com
Channel Type
Reviewer
Oh, wow, this is really helpful! I don't have a ringlight, but I indeed have two light set up on either side of the camera. Now that I have a third light, I'll try and see if I can use it as background light. Thanks so much for this!
Not a problem :)

I wouldnt worry too much about a ring-light (To be honest I hadnt spotted it was included in this diagram) Ring-lights are pretty good for smoothing skin palettes, they help to give a smooth and bright complexion most advertisements that involve make up or skin care use them to really pronounce and smooth a persons face. if your shooting in a studio or if you have a very very dark room they can be useful...I would say unless you were planning on doing a lot of extreme closeups or some very involved make up or face paint guides in future you probably wont need one :)

its an area of film making I used to specialize in so I totally understand the nightmare of getting the lighting just right when you dont have a lot of space to work with and your power sources are limited, more recently I had to basically build my own little micro lighting setup because the lighting in some of my videos was just terrible. I mainly made them out of desk lights and a super bright Panel light. it was quite fun (though a nightmare to store away) xD most of the time I just leave it out now xD

Reactions: Dutchie Abroad