Copyright strike?

VikkiinFlaw

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm doing a MTV True Life spoof and I was thinking of putting the True Life intro in the beginning of the video it's like 5-10 seconds, do you think I would get a copyright strike for that? I've seen other channels do it, but I don't know if its actually okay. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
I think a small clip of music should be fine as long as you state in your description that it is not your music and maybe cite it MLA where it came from? owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/747/08/ this website will help you with MLA citations if you don't know how to do them.

Reactions: VikkiinFlaw

VikkiinFlaw

Reaction score
its all good

and i think you should be fine using 5-10 seconds most of the time they only get you if you use more then 30 seconds of a clip well thats the usual case for me
Noted!
Thanks again :)))

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Even with just 5-10 seconds, there's a good chance that the automated ContentID will pick it up. If it does, you could expect your audio to be disabled, video to be monetized (and all proceeds going to MTV), or your video being restricted in certain countries.

You'd be far better off creating a similarly sounding parody song of your own (or finding one on any number of free music websites).

Reactions: VikkiinFlaw

VikkiinFlaw

Reaction score
Even with just 5-10 seconds, there's a good chance that the automated ContentID will pick it up. If it does, you could expect your audio to be disabled, video to be monetized (and all proceeds going to MTV), or your video being restricted in certain countries.

You'd be far better off creating a similarly sounding parody song of your own (or finding one on any number of free music websites).
Do you know if I could monetize parody videos? For instance if I wrote a song over a popular song track cold I get a copyright strike for that? even if I title it "the song name parody"

Shakycow

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Animator
Do you know if I could monetize parody videos? For instance if I wrote a song over a popular song track cold I get a copyright strike for that? even if I title it "the song name parody"
Using their music, yes. Music performed by you, no...but it has to be parody, not satire. There's an excellent 'sticky' thread explaining the difference.