Community Tab (New Feature)

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
YouTube is now beta testing with popular YouTubers their new Community Tab feature. It will soon be available to everyone on YouTube. It allows the ability to post and share links, pictures etc in the subscriber feed.

Say Goodbye to Multiple Channels

YouTube has had a feature for a few years that lets anyone hide a video you upload that's public to appear in your subscribers feeds. So you could also post a whole bunch of videos in a week hide them from your subscribers then later on post a link to the playlist rather than spamming your subscribers with 10 videos.

I will be doing this myself. I will be posting lots of documentary film work and will not want 10 or 20 behind the scenes clips in my subscriber feed so I will just share the playlist to my subscribers in the community tab.

Last edited:

Brenden

Message me if you need anything :)
Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
Huh. That seems really interesting. Not sure i'll be using this often.

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
I don't see how this will effect having multiple channels, but we will see. I hope they roll this out soon. I don't use Twitter much, so I'd like to have a way to communicate with subscribers besides making a video. Also often times I'd like to comment on something, but only for a min or so. I'd rather do it with a pic and text at work or on a train than go home and edit a video.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I don't see how this will effect having multiple channels, but we will see. I hope they roll this out soon. I don't use Twitter much, so I'd like to have a way to communicate with subscribers besides making a video. Also often times I'd like to comment on something, but only for a min or so. I'd rather do it with a pic and text at work or on a train than go home and edit a video.
you won't need multiple channels with the community tab. When you upload a video you can click a checkbox that hides the video from your Multiple Subscribers so they don't see the videos. Then you can post a link to the playlist for your subscribers. That way if you post say 5 cooking videos in a week as well as 2 vlogs you can hide the 5 cooking videos from your subscribers and only send your subscribers the playlist to the 5 cooking videos. That way you wouldn't be spamming your subscribers with 5 videos in a week rather they only see one link to all the videos in a playlist

KiddieToysReview

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
This assumes subscribers will be using the timeline feature?
Most of our subscribers don't have channels nor videos, in fact don't have anything apart from a basic account.
How is this going to work for them?

xingcat

Be good to self.
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
I think it's going to wind up being unwieldy and not very largely adopted. YouTube has trained its viewers to interact with creators in a very specific ways for over a decade, and this is an attempt to change the way in which the whole platform is structured. I can't see it getting much past beta, but I'll happily eat my words if it takes off in any significant way.

offbeatbryce

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
This assumes subscribers will be using the timeline feature?
Most of our subscribers don't have channels nor videos, in fact don't have anything apart from a basic account.
How is this going to work for them?
you aren't understanding. the timeline feature sends to our subscribes automatically. Meaning anything you post in the timeline will get set to anyone who subscribes. It's automatic

Chandler

Liking YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Commentator
That doesn't get rid of the need for multiple channels. I still need different channels because my content is completely different. Hopefully they make it easy to use and easy to find. Perhaps have the latest post title show when you move your mouse over their title icon.