Collab Copyright Claims

ApexTV

ApexTV Makes Top 10 Videos!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone, I'm making this thread to tell you guys about my experience with a company called Collab. So they recently made copyright claims on several of my videos. And it's very interesting that they only claim some of my most popular videos, all having over a million views. I immediately disputed these claims because the footage was being used legally via fair use. They counteracted my disputes and kept the claims on the videos. If I further pursue these claims I risk getting strikes on my channel which could even lead to my channel's deletion. I really don't want to risk it, but at the same time they claimed some of my most popular videos which had been a big source of income, making it possible to make new videos. My funding has been seriously cut due to this Collab company. It gets worse. I emailed Collab asking them what the specific clips they were claiming and got no response. I am highly suspicious if collab even owns the footage the are claiming. Let me know what you guys would do. Should I continue to appeal their rejected dispute?

Thanks in advance!

Hirudov

Posting Mad!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hey everyone, I'm making this thread to tell you guys about my experience with a company called Collab. So they recently made copyright claims on several of my videos. And it's very interesting that they only claim some of my most popular videos, all having over a million views. I immediately disputed these claims because the footage was being used legally via fair use. They counteracted my disputes and kept the claims on the videos. If I further pursue these claims I risk getting strikes on my channel which could even lead to my channel's deletion. I really don't want to risk it, but at the same time they claimed some of my most popular videos which had been a big source of income, making it possible to make new videos. My funding has been seriously cut due to this Collab company. It gets worse. I emailed Collab asking them what the specific clips they were claiming and got no response. I am highly suspicious if collab even owns the footage the are claiming. Let me know what you guys would do. Should I continue to appeal their rejected dispute?

Thanks in advance!
Collab are well known for claiming popular videos of compilations. Actually they own the rights! They have contracts with many (if not most) well known viners. They are pretty crafty by not claiming videos at the beginning, but only later. They wait for the videos to get popular then they manually claim the money retroactively and hit users who think fair use is protecting them. In fact it's not fair use if you use clips in compilations, so now you have several options:
1. Unlist/private/delete the videos and stop making them money on your channel.
2. Leave as it is and continue making them money on your channel.
3. Try to acquire rights for the claimed materials. Be careful, they will ask you thousands of US$.
4. Re-edit the videos and remove the materials they claim. Be careful that after re-upload they will again not claim at the beginning but only later. That additional claims can appear even if you do step 3.

Sorry, but in your situation you don't have many good options.

Scootakip [Lana]

I Love YTtalk
Reaction score
Channel Type
Comedian
You should keep fighting against Collab. What they're doing is illegal and goes against copyright law, so long as the clips they own, that you used, fall under fair use in the way you've used them.

Reactions: Dave2017

Idec Sdawkminn

Horror Versions
Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
If it is indeed fair use, I would appeal them. If you only appeal 2, you'll only get 2 strikes, which you can resolve through counter-notifications. Then you can appeal more once those are resolved. It takes a while and is tedious, but you can slowly make your way through them like that. I recently experimented with 3 strikes and my channel stayed up as long as I had counter-notifications on at least 1 of them. The only problem is that it disables uploading videos during that time. Fortunately I had enough videos uploaded and scheduled to last through it.