Camera and lenses advice! (Please)!

Alexander Williams

Reaction score
Hi everyone, hope all is well!
I have a few questions! (Apologies)!

So I've been doing YouTube a wee while now but had to give it up in June last year and sell all my stuff as well! (Long long story)!

But in April this year I will have the opportunity to begin it again! WEHEY!

So I want to "jazz up" a bit with some new equipment. I use to film on a Canon 600D/rode mic/50mm lens etc but I'm looking at maybe upgrading for my return!

The question is do I go 4K or not?
Most people say no as not many people watch stuff in 4K...yet!
So that led me to the Canon 80D! Only does 1080p but still a great upgrade from the 600D.
But I also found the Panasonic LUMIX GH4. Which does do 4K but fails in other areas the 80D excels in! Confusing!
My instinct says get the 80D, what are your thoughts?

Now as for lenses. I use to film with the standard kit lens or a 50mm (nifty fifty). But I'm just wondering is there a lens I can use on the 80D that can still create a great effect as the 50mm but without me sitting 50ft away from the camera? After a LOT of research it appears either a 24mm, 35mm, 40mm, or pretty much any lens is good enough. But I don't want to shell out a bucket load if its not needed! (Lenses are my weakest point in afraid)! Was even thinking of buying an 80D then taking it to a camera shop and just asking to try lenses on! Ha ha!
Basically I'll be filming vlogs and tech reviews and I really like the blurry background "bokeh" effect which I know is not just all about the lens but I'm planning on filming in a slightly smaller room and won't have enough space to sit 50ft away from the camera with a 50mm on! (Does that makes sense)?

Anyhow I've rambled on so much now you have probably fallen asleep! If not however then please send me your thoughts! Many thanks in advance! :)

sipilatommi

Reaction score
Channel Type
Vlogger
If you go for the Panasonic Lumix GH4 you could get the Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 II ASPH lens (which I think is a 40mm in Canon world). If you want to see what that lens footage looks like, you can check out the video titled "Climbing Again After Injury" on my channel. Right at the beginning I have that lens filming me on a tripod with the background blurry with me about 50-70cm away. You can get pretty sweet bokeh on that lens, though it depends a bit on your framing and the aperture. It's my favorite lens (though I've only owned four different lenses so far) except I'm using it with an Olympus camera body.

Alexander Williams

Reaction score
Thankyou! And Thankyou for your quick reply! The GH4 is definitely an interesting option, although slightly more expensive you do get the greatness of 4k which would especially help towards any small documentarys that may be made. (I can crop the picture without loosing quality and have two different shots from one)! And it would appear 40mm is the best way to go too. Someone else (on a YouTube vid) recommended that as well. But 90% of everyone else says stick with the 50mm. But like I previously said I'm planning to film in a new but smaller room so doubt I'll have the space to sit so far away from it as well as have a good distance from the background! Maybe I should just get extension on my house instead! Ha ha!
Much appreciated once again for your thoughts!

Possibly thinking of renting the equipment and seeing what works best before buying? May cost more in the long run but at least then I'll know!

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Save making an extra post, was wondering if anyone can give me any tips.
Looking to get a new camera myself, current one is okay but I feel the need to get something better, plus as i recently joined a photography club a few months back when we all went out, I felt leftout as everyone had really good cameras

Photography wise i have Canon 350D rebel xt but photography, would love one which has a flip out screen with live view, which can do great quality videos for my youtube channel.

Not sure on budget really, i do have some savings but might go on an ebay selling binge to help.
Also any lenses you think might be a good idea to look at, i don't mind switching to Nikon if needed.

Alexander Williams

Reaction score
Hi Drewbles,
To be honest I would happily recommend the Canon 600D, it has a flip out screen and live mode plus it's a decent camera too and you should be able to get one for fairly cheap now as well. (Bonus)
I used the Canon 600D for all my Youtube videos until I sold it in June last year.
(I wasn't the best with manual settings etc so I just had it on auto everything, I would imagine it can produce far superior looks with the right know how!
However I only used my for video, nothing else and for a few pence more you may be better off getting the Canon 70D. (It has a few better features like improved AF yet still the flip out screen etc)!
I'm not an expert on cameras however so I'm hoping someone else can give their thoughts on your questions too!
But as for the 600D that's what I used for two years and never had any complaints!

Lenses wise I suppose it depends what exactly you will be taking pictures of and filming. Again I'm no expert when it comes to lenses, (in fact I'm hopeless) but from experience if you want great portrait shots with background blur then the Canon 50mm STM is a bargain must have!
For my video blogs I'm going to be getting either the 24mm or 40mm lens as they are great for background blur and you get a lot more space in the frame than on a 50mm.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, I've been watching a few YouTube vids on lenses/cameras so check out "Chris Winter" (he does loads of good camera/lens reviews/tips) and "Think Media Tv" (again camera and lens reviews/tips)

Anyhow sorry I couldn't be more use but hope that helped in some way! :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Drewbles

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Hi Drewbles,
To be honest I would happily recommend the Canon 600D, it has a flip out screen and live mode plus it's a decent camera too and you should be able to get one for fairly cheap now as well. (Bonus)
I used the Canon 600D for all my Youtube videos until I sold it in June last year.
(I wasn't the best with manual settings etc so I just had it on auto everything, I would imagine it can produce far superior looks with the right know how!
However I only used my for video, nothing else and for a few pence more you may be better off getting the Canon 70D. (It has a few better features like improved AF yet still the flip out screen etc)!
I'm not an expert on cameras however so I'm hoping someone else can give their thoughts on your questions too!
But as for the 600D that's what I used for two years and never had any complaints!

Lenses wise I suppose it depends what exactly you will be taking pictures of and filming. Again I'm no expert when it comes to lenses, (in fact I'm hopeless) but from experience if you want great portrait shots with background blur then the Canon 50mm STM is a bargain must have!
For my video blogs I'm going to be getting either the 24mm or 40mm lens as they are great for background blur and you get a lot more space in the frame than on a 50mm.
Sorry I couldn't be more help, I've been watching a few YouTube vids on lenses/cameras so check out "Chris Winter" (he does loads of good camera/lens reviews/tips) and "Think Media Tv" (again camera and lens reviews/tips)

Cheers thank you for the advice, got more from you, than my own photography club last night, they were bloody useless.[DOUBLEPOST=1491405807,1491337387][/DOUBLEPOST]
Hi Drewbles,

Have been looking at reviews the last two days on cameras, barely any real difference between the 600D and the later cameras esp the video stuff. Sadly they no longer make the 600D but managed to find a 2nd hand one on Ebay from a guy who has literally used it twice, so i was expecting to pay £400 but got it for £220, so ordered the 50mm lens from Amazon for £110 so hopefully get those by the weekend

avrona

Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
I use a Nikon D5300 with a Cir-PL lens and the quality is all I could ask for and at a very decent price.