Anybody know any good affordable cameras?

I've been running off of the 650D (t4i) for a while now. I will say that you are still going to want good lighting, and it's probably worthwhile to make that investment first. Having gone through the experience, setting up softboxes isn't too hard, and you can get them for pretty cheap :)

As a vlogger, I'd advise against going any higher (like the 7D or the 5D). The flip-out screen is invaluable :)

Keep in mind that when you move to a DSLR, you'll be dealing with a comparatively shallow depth-of-field, so you might want to pick up a remote-shutter, so you're not subject to random autofocus snapping.

Also, the microphones are terrible, so plan on either grabbing a shotgun or a lav mic.

Cheers!

Yeah, I think lighting should be my first step and yes I have a Blue Yetti USB mic that I can use :)

A camcorder will probably shoot better with less lightning.

And yes it's better to invest in a lens than the body. In the future if you decide to buy a new body you can still use the lens.
Also if you for for a DSLR you might also consider buying an external Mic. The audio is not that awful but also not that great.

Yeah, I would have to look into that as I'm not totally clued up on lenses and things, and yes, I have a Blue Yetti USB mic which will do the audio job nicely![DOUBLEPOST=1366239285,1366239087][/DOUBLEPOST]
Ah I see, well that changes things. Do you already have an external mic? Either something you can plug into your camera or into your computer.

The onboard mic on DLSR cameras are the worse things on earth. Make sure you have enough in your budget to get a proper mic otherwise you will not be happy with the videos you record off the t3i.

If you are getting it off ebay make sure it says, Body + lens. If it's only the t3i body then you will have to buy a lens for it to work. It sounds like it will at least come with the standard kit lens.

Another thing you might want to look into getting is a tripod for the camera if you don't have a surface to plop it on. DSLRs can be front heavy with certain lens.

Anyhow, good luck with your purchase![DOUBLEPOST=1366238944,1366238836][/DOUBLEPOST]

False, go Red Epic or go home.

I have a Blue Yetti USB mic which has brilliant sound. And yeah, I nearly got caught out on the body + lens thing. I saw a body for £100 and I thought it was the full thing haha, silly me :D

Thanks for your help!

Ah I see, well that changes things. Do you already have an external mic? Either something you can plug into your camera or into your computer.

The onboard mic on DLSR cameras are the worse things on earth. Make sure you have enough in your budget to get a proper mic otherwise you will not be happy with the videos you record off the t3i.

If you are getting it off ebay make sure it says, Body + lens. If it's only the t3i body then you will have to buy a lens for it to work. It sounds like it will at least come with the standard kit lens.

Another thing you might want to look into getting is a tripod for the camera if you don't have a surface to plop it on. DSLRs can be front heavy with certain lens.

Anyhow, good luck with your purchase![DOUBLEPOST=1366238944,1366238836][/DOUBLEPOST]

False, go Red Epic or go home.

If only! I should clarify - if you're going to go 7d or higher, get a shoe mount monitor.

If only! I should clarify - if you're going to go 7d or higher, get a shoe mount monitor.

Lol, I understood everything up to 'get a...' and then the last three words were jibebrish :) Don't worry, though, Google is my friend! Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Lol, I understood everything up to 'get a...' and then the last three words were jibebrish :) Don't worry, though, Google is my friend! Thanks for all your help, I really appreciate it!

Haha, basically a screen you can plug into the camera and mount on top, so you're able to see yourself while you're vlogging. The 7d and 5d are higher quality cameras, but without a flip-out screen, it's a major pain to frame your shots.

I have a Blue Yetti USB mic which has brilliant sound. And yeah, I nearly got caught out on the body + lens thing. I saw a body for £100 and I thought it was the full thing haha, silly me :D

Thanks for your help!

Anytime, I use that mic too, it's fantastical![DOUBLEPOST=1366239804,1366239772][/DOUBLEPOST]
Haha, basically a screen you can plug into the camera and mount on top, so you're able to see yourself while you're vlogging. The 7d and 5d are higher quality cameras, but without a flip-out screen, it's a major pain to frame your shots.

I HDMI out to my tv, cuz I'm Asian like that.

I have to recommend the Sony NEX5R. It's a really good camera for YouTube purposes and the noise level is really tolerable.

600D is perfect I've had it since it first came out so I paid like £760 for it but it's totally worth it all of my videos are filmed on the 600D if you need examples!

Back