Anybody know any good affordable cameras?

I'll recommend buying a lens with the camera. I don't make vlogs, but I do know a bit about cameras, and a lens will make or break a camera. You can put a good lens on a god-awful camera, and the pictures will be pretty nice, as well as video.

Absolutely, body is 20% glass is 80% at least for photography. For filming some bodies don't support 1080p @29 fps which would be a problem in terms of long term use.

I like your definition of affordable camera =) I have a t3i as a spare camera and it's pretty good for photography, I haven't used it to film yet though. I imagine the swivel screen as super helpful.

If you are going to spring for a 60D, you might as well save up a few hundred more and get the 7D.

I say buy the t3i body then use extra money to get a nice sharp lens.

Wow, good idea! And yeah, I should have probably explained I meant an ebay special :p[DOUBLEPOST=1366238116,1366238050][/DOUBLEPOST]
That#s a fair point :) There are a lot of easy ways to get good lighting, probably more affordable than a camera too :)

I was thinking of investing in a studio light as I've seen a few vloggers use them, but those are beast of things and I'd probably kill myself trying to build it :/[DOUBLEPOST=1366238172][/DOUBLEPOST]
Christmas lights in the background, it can make any video look incredibly hipster.

Pffttt... I'm hipster enough... Ain't nobody got time for christmas lights :D[DOUBLEPOST=1366238243][/DOUBLEPOST]
Absolutely, body is 20% glass is 80% at least for photography. For filming some bodies don't support 1080p @29 fps which would be a problem in terms of long term use.

Sounds good, but I would have to look a bit more into it, as I don't know much about this sorta thing :)

I do vlogs and I'm thinking of investing in a better quality camera. I have been doing some research and I'm thinking of buying the Canon t3i 600d? Does anybody know if that would be a good purchase or can suggest a better one for about the same price?

Thanks!

I've been running off of the 650D (t4i) for a while now. I will say that you are still going to want good lighting, and it's probably worthwhile to make that investment first. Having gone through the experience, setting up softboxes isn't too hard, and you can get them for pretty cheap :)

As a vlogger, I'd advise against going any higher (like the 7D or the 5D). The flip-out screen is invaluable :)

Keep in mind that when you move to a DSLR, you'll be dealing with a comparatively shallow depth-of-field, so you might want to pick up a remote-shutter, so you're not subject to random autofocus snapping.

Also, the microphones are terrible, so plan on either grabbing a shotgun or a lav mic.

Cheers!

Nah, I use a camcorder at the moment... it's okay, but you need good lighting for it, which I don't have.
A camcorder will probably shoot better with less lightning.

And yes it's better to invest in a lens than the body. In the future if you decide to buy a new body you can still use the lens.
Also if you for for a DSLR you might also consider buying an external Mic. The audio is not that awful but also not that great.

Wow, good idea! And yeah, I should have probably explained I meant an ebay special

Ah I see, well that changes things. Do you already have an external mic? Either something you can plug into your camera or into your computer.

The onboard mic on DLSR cameras are the worse things on earth. Make sure you have enough in your budget to get a proper mic otherwise you will not be happy with the videos you record off the t3i.

If you are getting it off ebay make sure it says, Body + lens. If it's only the t3i body then you will have to buy a lens for it to work. It sounds like it will at least come with the standard kit lens.

Another thing you might want to look into getting is a tripod for the camera if you don't have a surface to plop it on. DSLRs can be front heavy with certain lens.

Anyhow, good luck with your purchase![DOUBLEPOST=1366238944,1366238836][/DOUBLEPOST]
As a vlogger, I'd advise against going any higher (like the 7D or the 5D). The flip-out screen is invaluable :)

False, go Red Epic or go home.

Back