Advanced Titling Techniques & SEO

EposVox

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Hey all, so I've been trying to do as much as I can to "step things up" moving into 2016, and titles are something I need to think about.

• Main question: How important is each side in the balance of a creative/compelling title versus SEO-friendly title?

Premise:
I run a tech channel where I do product reviews, tutorials, etc.
Since I'm still a growing channel - and at a peak point of needing as much growth as possible as quickly as possible instead of catering to subscribers - I've been very SEO-focused. My thumbnails highlight the product somewhat clearly, and my titles are generally straight-SEO: "___ Review" etc.

Though recently, I've been adding in a more creative bit first - such as "Cheap & Easy Facecam!" in front of "Logitech C310 Review" etc. to try to make things a bit more compelling and give an idea of my message in the video.
Here's a quick look at my titling and thumbnail-ing:

Two of the channels that I look up to in terms of the business and non-content approach are Unbox Therapy and LinusTechTips. They do things almost opposite.

Here's a glance at Unbox Therapy's thumbnailing & titles:

Here's a look at LTT's titles and thumbnails:

Now, I hate LTT's thumbnails, but they don't have a graphics guy and it just gets things done. That's okay. But their titles generally remain focused on the SEO - "___ Review" etc.
Unbox Therapy's thumbnails are a lot more "fun" - and so are his titles. But his titles are almost never 100% descriptive. They're not misleading or anything, they just don't go for the SEO.

Is one better or worse?

Things to Consider:
  • Old-school text SEO isn't super important to YouTube search anymore. Categorical authority and watch time/watch sessions kind of dominate things, while text SEO just kind of tells YouTube what your video is.
  • There are two other places to fill in SEO for the videos: Description & Tags (tags being something I need to tackle in a later thread). While Unbox Therapy nor LTT do a great job of utilizing these, I still can. So the title is only one piece of the SEO pie.
  • BUT, the SEO-descriptive title does tell exactly what the video is, which can be beneficial.
  • Alternatively, that could also turn someone away (small chance) if they're not interested in the specific product for a general review, whereas the more exciting clickbait-y (not full-on clickbait, mind you) titles could still compel them to watch.

So here I'm looking for thoughts as to which approach I should be leaning towards, or if my middle-ground current approach could be good.

Possibly, a channel may need to wait until they have a stronger subscriber base to go for the more clickbait-y titles, as those potentially play more towards subscribers who watch the majority of uploads anyway, thus a small channel like mine should still focus on SEO until that subscriber base is obtained.

I'm really not sure, and it frustrates me to think I may be doing things wrong, or at least in a way that could be much better for me. :/

Deron

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Hey all, so I've been trying to do as much as I can to "step things up" moving into 2016, and titles are something I need to think about.

• Main question: How important is each side in the balance of a creative/compelling title versus SEO-friendly title?

Premise:
I run a tech channel where I do product reviews, tutorials, etc.
Since I'm still a growing channel - and at a peak point of needing as much growth as possible as quickly as possible instead of catering to subscribers - I've been very SEO-focused. My thumbnails highlight the product somewhat clearly, and my titles are generally straight-SEO: "___ Review" etc.

Though recently, I've been adding in a more creative bit first - such as "Cheap & Easy Facecam!" in front of "Logitech C310 Review" etc. to try to make things a bit more compelling and give an idea of my message in the video.
Here's a quick look at my titling and thumbnail-ing:

Two of the channels that I look up to in terms of the business and non-content approach are Unbox Therapy and LinusTechTips. They do things almost opposite.

Here's a glance at Unbox Therapy's thumbnailing & titles:

Here's a look at LTT's titles and thumbnails:

Now, I hate LTT's thumbnails, but they don't have a graphics guy and it just gets things done. That's okay. But their titles generally remain focused on the SEO - "___ Review" etc.
Unbox Therapy's thumbnails are a lot more "fun" - and so are his titles. But his titles are almost never 100% descriptive. They're not misleading or anything, they just don't go for the SEO.

Is one better or worse?

Things to Consider:
  • Old-school text SEO isn't super important to YouTube search anymore. Categorical authority and watch time/watch sessions kind of dominate things, while text SEO just kind of tells YouTube what your video is.
  • There are two other places to fill in SEO for the videos: Description & Tags (tags being something I need to tackle in a later thread). While Unbox Therapy nor LTT do a great job of utilizing these, I still can. So the title is only one piece of the SEO pie.
  • BUT, the SEO-descriptive title does tell exactly what the video is, which can be beneficial.
  • Alternatively, that could also turn someone away (small chance) if they're not interested in the specific product for a general review, whereas the more exciting clickbait-y (not full-on clickbait, mind you) titles could still compel them to watch.

So here I'm looking for thoughts as to which approach I should be leaning towards, or if my middle-ground current approach could be good.

Possibly, a channel may need to wait until they have a stronger subscriber base to go for the more clickbait-y titles, as those potentially play more towards subscribers who watch the majority of uploads anyway, thus a small channel like mine should still focus on SEO until that subscriber base is obtained.

I'm really not sure, and it frustrates me to think I may be doing things wrong, or at least in a way that could be much better for me. :/
Wait until you have a larger subscriber base before you use those click bait titles, continue to focus on SEO. That is my opinion and I actually watch your videos, before I saw you here, they are good lol

Reactions: EposVox

EposVox

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Wait until you have a larger subscriber base before you use those click bait titles, continue to focus on SEO.
Thanks for the feedback. As I worked through it for the post, that started to seem like the answer - but it seems a lot more boring than the exciting titles, haha.

That is my opinion and I actually watch your videos, before I saw you here, they are good lol
Haha :D Well awesome, thank you! :bounce:

Deron

Reaction score
Channel Type
Other
Thanks for the feedback. As I worked through it for the post, that started to seem like the answer - but it seems a lot more boring than the exciting titles, haha.

Haha :D Well awesome, thank you! :bounce:
true, the Click bait titles are fun lol

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
As said above, I notice that channels with big subscriber bases care less about SEO because there fan base is there and they will share it as well.

Something I only first learned when I joined here, is Long Descriptive titles are good.

A good balance is Put your funny title in, followed by the descriptive bit.
e.g. My worst nightmare - unboxing the xxxxxxxxxx

EposVox

Reaction score
Channel Type
Reviewer
Something I only first learned when I joined here, is Long Descriptive titles are good.

A good balance is Put your funny title in, followed by the descriptive bit.
e.g. My worst nightmare - unboxing the xxxxxxxxxx
Longer titles better? Really?

And here I was worrying adding to the front of titles would cause problems for length, lol.

Kirgle

"taking a swipe at everything"
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Longer titles better? Really?

And here I was worrying adding to the front of titles would cause problems for length, lol.
Yeah - seems wrong but it works. You can tell when you look at youtube analytics what search terms led people to your video.

My Starwars video from a few weeks back has a longer title then i first intended but search terms have all been words/phrases used in my titles.

An older video just called border force act, is my slowest and search terms are usually just 'border force act'. Where I bet if I added in Asylum Seekers or Australian Governments.... it would get more traffic.

Sabrina

I'm going outside now.
Reaction score
Ah, I've heard someone call that dilemma "optimization for reach" vs. "optimization for retention" :bookworm2:
I know that YouTube specifically says to put the most important words at the beginning of the title.
But I think putting a clickbaity line at the beginning might draw in more viewers. If someone searches for "[product] review" they're gonna get a lot of results and yours needs to stick out. The question is, would you still rank high if the product name is at the end of the title?