A Name for the People of my Community?

Madrah

So hey guys, thank you so much for taking the time to read this thread. :)

I've been trying to come up with a name for the people of my community; lately, I've spent a lot of time re-branding my channel in a few ways - primarily, in the graphical way. Well, I've gone for a "foresty-green-ish" kind of colour scheme, and then it hit me! I'm going to primarily post Minecraft gaming videos, and honestly, it felt like an epiphany: SAPLINGS!

I think they're kind of cute, and they'd fit perfectly into my new design and stuff, and they'd also hold a symbolic value; the people of my community were to be called saplings - you know, stuff that grows, lol. In that sense, it could also be a symbol of how everyone in the community, helped it grow! I was so hyped, but then I did something terrible: I Googled the word "sapling" and YouTube - well, it turns out that some other Minecraft YouTuber named Martin of the YOGSCast, whom I never watched, already calls the people of his community saplings, and he's also going for that foresty theme.

So yeah, basically, I'll definitely get a lot of stick by a bunch of people if I do the same, I'm sure of it - even though I've never really seen his videos. This leaves me pretty frustrated, cause I really felt like I came up with something brilliant.

I'd absolutely love it if you guys could come up with some suggestions for names; my channel name means passion for life and new discoveries, and as I said, I'm going for a mystical foresty theme. :)

Once again, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. :)

Kind regards, Madrah. :)

I don't think it's really necessary anymore...maybe if you have a HUGE following or if the viewers come up with a name for themselves, but I wouldn't force it because there are already so many communities out there and viewers might feel like you're forcing them to be a part of something else..

But I could be wrong, would love to hear others' opinions

Don't name them yourself. Most people will tell you this is a terrible idea. If a community name type thing develops, its usually after you have hit a pretty big number like 50k or more, and they usually come up with it themselves. Don't force it upon them.

Well at least he didn't copyright it.......... :confused:

Honestly sapplings being a common minecraft term makes it fair use for any player -- but a lot of people watch (or used to) Yogscast. Maybe let them pick something when they want too -- it's more organic that way.

Don't name them yourself. Most people will tell you this is a terrible idea. If a community name type thing develops, its usually after you have hit a pretty big number like 50k or more, and they usually come up with it themselves. Don't force it upon them.
This.

Me personally I feel like giving them a name is a bit dis-respectful towards my subscribers.

They are people not a herd of sheep you can just name. All of them are individuals in their own right and shouldn't be subject under a group by someone who well they dont really give a s**t about.

Sorry for being so blunt and I'm not trying to bring you down but in my own personal opinion I feel like branding your subscribers under 1 name is aslap in the face to the people who stuck with you and supported you from the beginning only to be put in a group you didnt even want to.

Thats my opinion

I get where you're coming from, I considered calling my subs the "turtle squad", just for giggles...but as many other people mentioned it's a lot better to let your fanbase grow and have them come up with a name themselves, I think that sends a stronger a message in a way.

Back