A Name for the People of my Community?

Madrah

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
So hey guys, thank you so much for taking the time to read this thread. :)

I've been trying to come up with a name for the people of my community; lately, I've spent a lot of time re-branding my channel in a few ways - primarily, in the graphical way. Well, I've gone for a "foresty-green-ish" kind of colour scheme, and then it hit me! I'm going to primarily post Minecraft gaming videos, and honestly, it felt like an epiphany: SAPLINGS!

I think they're kind of cute, and they'd fit perfectly into my new design and stuff, and they'd also hold a symbolic value; the people of my community were to be called saplings - you know, stuff that grows, lol. In that sense, it could also be a symbol of how everyone in the community, helped it grow! I was so hyped, but then I did something terrible: I Googled the word "sapling" and YouTube - well, it turns out that some other Minecraft YouTuber named Martin of the YOGSCast, whom I never watched, already calls the people of his community saplings, and he's also going for that foresty theme.

So yeah, basically, I'll definitely get a lot of stick by a bunch of people if I do the same, I'm sure of it - even though I've never really seen his videos. This leaves me pretty frustrated, cause I really felt like I came up with something brilliant.

I'd absolutely love it if you guys could come up with some suggestions for names; my channel name means passion for life and new discoveries, and as I said, I'm going for a mystical foresty theme. :)

Once again, I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. :)

Kind regards, Madrah. :)

Talooka

Weirdo With a Beardo
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Comedian, Other
I don't think it's really necessary anymore...maybe if you have a HUGE following or if the viewers come up with a name for themselves, but I wouldn't force it because there are already so many communities out there and viewers might feel like you're forcing them to be a part of something else..

But I could be wrong, would love to hear others' opinions

Reactions: Switchbox

WeiseGamer

Your #1 Source For Indie Gaming
Reaction score
Channel Type
Gamer
Don't name them yourself. Most people will tell you this is a terrible idea. If a community name type thing develops, its usually after you have hit a pretty big number like 50k or more, and they usually come up with it themselves. Don't force it upon them.

Dont Wake The Insomniac

Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber
Well at least he didn't copyright it.......... :confused:

Honestly sapplings being a common minecraft term makes it fair use for any player -- but a lot of people watch (or used to) Yogscast. Maybe let them pick something when they want too -- it's more organic that way.

Switchbox

Give me your food
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Vlogger, Gamer, Commentator, Other
Don't name them yourself. Most people will tell you this is a terrible idea. If a community name type thing develops, its usually after you have hit a pretty big number like 50k or more, and they usually come up with it themselves. Don't force it upon them.
This.

Reactions: WeiseGamer

ChargunHD

The FawX is on the Hunt
Reaction score
Website
www.twitch.tv
Channel Type
Gamer
Me personally I feel like giving them a name is a bit dis-respectful towards my subscribers.

They are people not a herd of sheep you can just name. All of them are individuals in their own right and shouldn't be subject under a group by someone who well they dont really give a s**t about.

Sorry for being so blunt and I'm not trying to bring you down but in my own personal opinion I feel like branding your subscribers under 1 name is aslap in the face to the people who stuck with you and supported you from the beginning only to be put in a group you didnt even want to.

Thats my opinion

Safety Turtle

Turtle Power!
Reaction score
Channel Type
Youtuber, Gamer
I get where you're coming from, I considered calling my subs the "turtle squad", just for giggles...but as many other people mentioned it's a lot better to let your fanbase grow and have them come up with a name themselves, I think that sends a stronger a message in a way.

Reactions: ChargunHD